Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I feel so stupid about my hand quilting frame >

I feel so stupid about my hand quilting frame

I feel so stupid about my hand quilting frame

Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 PM

I hope you have made the leaders that your instructions talk about. So we know that the quilt back is rolled on the middle bar, the quilt top is rolled on the back bar, your batting hangs free, kind of between the two. ( you put no tension on the batting, if you don't like it draping on the floor, you can wrap it around the middle wooden rail but always remember as you advance the quilt, loosen the batting so it will roll freely,) Now all layers attache to the front rail. You should be good to go!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Power Poster

your batting needs to be (at least-more is better) 4" all the way around larger than your top- while stitching it (draws up like embroidery or applique) so you need more to make up for that- after the quilt is quilted you trim your backing-batting to fit the top---but they should start out larger. and measure twice before loading- to make sure you have the length going lengthwise and the width side to side.
i have so many times pulled the batting out- looked at it and (thought) i had the long part in the right direction only to find it was sideways---always measure to be sure.
but if you add that extra (8" in both direction---4" per side) you will come out ok.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Power Poster

should have added- the (loftier) the batting the more it will pull up as you quilt it- resulting in needing more- so if you are using a fairly lofty batt i would add even more than 4"
Old 09-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by gotta-sew
I hope you have made the leaders that your instructions talk about. So we know that the quilt back is rolled on the middle bar, the quilt top is rolled on the back bar, your batting hangs free, kind of between the two. ( you put no tension on the batting, if you don't like it draping on the floor, you can wrap it around the middle wooden rail but always remember as you advance the quilt, loosen the batting so it will roll freely,) Now all layers attache to the front rail. You should be good to go!
Could you somehow explain the batting more if possible. The reason is because I noticed on the pic on the box to the frame it has the batting hanging free, but in the instruction booklet it has you pinning the batting with quilt top. I am sorry but I am more of a visula person. So do I just pin the top and batting together on the front rail?