Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I was feeling a little blue

Blog Entries

I was feeling a little blue

After the kids left yesterday I was feeling a little blue. So I ignored all the cleaning, laundry and other jobs that are waiting for me and did some scrap piecing. Made a few of Bonnie Hunter's Maverick Stars. They're fun to make and it took my mind off my miseries. Sure brightened my day. Now I must at least do the laundry so I'll be ready to go back to work tomorrow. Do you sew when you're blue?

Sometimes I go to the quilting room, sometimes I mindlessly watch TV. Depends on ?.

Glad you made good use of your "blue" time. Unfortunately, when it happens to me, I don't. I just curl up and sleep or watch tv...

Even just sitting in my sewing room cheers me up. It's like my little slice of heaven. Usually I find something there to take my mind off my troubles, whether it's sewing or looking at patterns or even organizing and straightening up.

Quilting got me through divorce. It is truly a therapy. I made a big queen log cabin, started a GFG that is still in progress, and started working on an applique wall hanging (which I later pitched, what was I thinking with those color/pattern choices lol) the year that my husband left (not a surprise). So quilting is healing, and a very much needed thing in my life. The next year I made a pinwheel queen sized, for my high school sweetie (Mike) and we have been married almost 2 years now. Now I quilt cause I'm happy.

I quilt no matter what. A very good way to take my mind off just about anything.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Yes, I sew when I'm sad, when I'm happy and when I'm stressed. It is great having a place to go when the need arises and even when it doesn't.
    Miss Rita

Blog Entries
    I can't sew when I'm blue because I'm depressed and just not in the mood to do anything. So lately I'm not sewing -again! but I will!!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    Sometimes I go to the quilting room, sometimes I mindlessly watch TV. Depends on ?.
    When I'm blue or upset (anxious) about anything, I basically do the same except I like to either cut or piece. I also pull out the baptismal bibs and do some satin stitching. Lately I've also been doing some stitching on the preemis shirts. My mind can wander. TV is also a good distraction at times. And of course there are M & M's!
    One step at a time, always forward.

When I'm angry I garden - pull weeds. Nothing like pinching the heads off dead blooms or jerking a weed out by its tiny little roots to work out the anger.

Today I've just wanted to cry about everything so when husband went fishing, I went to garden - no weeds to pull. I came in and worked on granddaughter's quilt a little. That helped some.

I think a good old piece of chocolate cake with ice cream is what I really need!

When I'm blue I tend to do more quilt designing than actual quilting. I sit down with some graph paper or fire up my EQ software and start playing. That leads to digging through my stash and laying out fabrics and that almost always cheers me up! It's hard to feel low when I'm digging through all these gorgeous fabrics I've hoarded, especially if I get into the "citrus" colors. I don't think I can possibly feel bad when I'm digging through lime greens and tangerine orange colors, they just FORCE me to be happy. Batiks often do that too.

night time quilting, while everyone was asleep, got me through a few years of depression. I would sew like a woman possessed. no scrap was safe. Nothing planned, just eclectic piecing, seeing where I would go. I kept that quilt for myself. It says so much. I still add to it. It truly is my crazy quilt.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    night time quilting, while everyone was asleep, got me through a few years of depression. I would sew like a woman possessed. no scrap was safe. Nothing planned, just eclectic piecing, seeing where I would go. I kept that quilt for myself. It says so much. I still add to it. It truly is my crazy quilt.
    Yes, quilting got me through a period of deep depression several years back. It kept my mind and hands busy. Like you, I still have those quilts and treasure them for getting me through a difficult time.

I feel so relaxed when I'm sewing - it makes me feel good no matter what mood I'm in. A lot of time even cleaning in my sewing room makes me feel better.

Blog Entries
    Quilting got me through deaths in the family and bullying and early retirement. Once I started on some type of quilting I had to concentrate and forgot my woes for a time. I also found this site where people are so understanding. Had PM help when suicidal more help than friends I quilt with.
    Finished is better than a UFO

That's how I beat depression and threw all those nasty meds in the trash. Quilting! Keeping your mind and hands busy keeps the blues away. The dishes can wait, my creative spirit needs to get out or it gets blue. Instead of rolling around in self pity I prefer to roll round in loose threads and small bits of fabric! I need a small wading pool to throw all my trashable sewing bits in, then when I'm feeling bad I can just jump in the pool and roll around in it!

Boy, I wish there was a "like" button here! Our older daughter and her fiancee left yesterday to head back to their home, so I understand how sad the kids leaving is.

I'm likely to resort to retail therapy - online or in stores. Online, sometimes I check out, sometimes not. I'm just as likely to curl up and take a nap, or to play solitare, word games or dominoes online. I need to change my ways and get going on something!

Blog Entries
    When I am "down in the dumps", I have to stay there for a bit and wallow. Nothing I do feels good. I used to practice "retail therapy", but the high was short lived. I now quilt when I want to wallow. My mind ruminates over my situation while the machine hums and chugs along. In the good times, I put together donation quilt kits, fabric pre cut, simple patterns - I sew thinking how lucky I am not to be a recipient of my project, and I sew luck, and love and healing wishes. Usually thinking these healing thoughts brings me back up.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels blue. ((((GROUP HUG))))

Sewing makes me happy so when I am down its a good place to go to ...
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    Yes, it's good to know I'm not the only one who gets depressed. Quilting definitely helps get me through (along with dark chocolate and ice cream - individually or together but together is better!!) I try not to work on anything important though - if it's therapy sewing there will probably be mistakes or at the least not my best work.
    MargieD

Blog Entries
    I went through a really rough period after my husbands recovery, I can't call it the blues, I honestly thought I was losing my mind. My doctor said it was post incident stress and wanted to put me in the hospital, but who has time for that! I couldn't do anything much and had a difficult time getting through work. Luckily that passed after about 6 months and now I can't feel blue, my dogs are to happy to let that happen, then I do whatever including quilting.

Blog Entries
    I retreat into books when depressed. If I try to sew...nothing goes together right, so I leave it alone.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Go for it! Chocolate cake and ice cream will help anything!

Yes, makes me feel much better!! Hugs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast