Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 AM

It always amuses me how the insecure, therefore judgmental, always try to project themselves onto others.

You are fine, you make you happy, don't take ownership of her issues.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 AM

Enjoy your quilt tops. They are beautiful to you as decoration.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 AM

I just want you to know, Jazz, that I believe you to be a quilting buddy of mine. I don't care if you quilt the tops or not, that is your business. I know many quilters who enjoy the piecing, designing or applique and not the quilting or binding.
You are displaying your work. You are proud of them, as you should be.
Hold your head high, and repeat after me. "Hi, my name is (Jazz) and I am a quilter."
I am sorry to say that the "quilt police" show their ugly sides everywhere. I find that the best way for me to deal with them is to ignore them. They do NOT control your artistic abilities, and you should not give them that power to do so.
Thank you for sharing, sister quilter. we are all here for you. :)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Huh? I would have asked her point blank why she looked so disgusted and explain why it was important to her to want to make me feel bad about what I do with my own quilts. I don't need up- snot- know- it- alls adding their two cents to my life. No one gets away with it around me. People of this type can't handle confrontation so give it to them.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 AM

I hate it when we get a snob reaction like that, & shame on that stranger for making you feel that way. Enjoy your quilting & whatever you do with your tops. It's up to you & no one else! This is a great board, hope you enjoy the quilting company here!...
Old 07-17-2011, 08:32 AM

At least your enjoying all the work you have put into your quilt tops and not just leaving them folded up on a shelf or folded hanging on a quilt rack or hanger somewhere.
Don't let that lady bring you down, enjoy your tops however you want to. Who know someday you may change your mind and want to quilt them. If not that is your business.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM

My heart went out to you as I read your story. Sounds like you've had some rough times & I hope life has improved for you.

It's easy for others to judge when they haven't been in your shoes. Like somebody has already said, at least you're enjoying your tops instead of just folding them up in a pile.

I once had a friend who lived fulltime in her big motorhome. She was an avid quilter but she only did the tops then moved on to a new one. Had no desire to finish them. She had so many piles of tops there was nowhere for anybody to sit. I mean NObody. When I went to visit her, she had to pick up a pile of tops & put them on her bed so I could sit down on one spot on the couch. There were piles of tops everywhere.

Her husb. had his seat at the table & she had her chair in the liv. part. She received a lot of judgment but who cares. As long as you're happy with them, good for you. Life is too short to let other's opinions bother us. Took me a lot of yrs. to realize that though.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM

Unless I have a specific reason for making a quilt, I don't take it beyond the piecing stage. I, too, enjoy the creating and choosing prints and color combos. I don't like to pay for the batting, backing, and quilting on each one until I know where it's going. And it's always nice to have some of the work done I want one!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM

She was probably thinking, I would love to get at those quilt tops. Then my children wouldn't be cold this winter. I would love to see your quilt tops too.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 AM

I love making the tops but will no longer handquilt them. Please post where you sell your tops online.

In stitches,
Roberta in CNY