Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I Finally Bought a Jelly Roll

I Finally Bought a Jelly Roll

...and I wasn't happy with it.

The edges were pinked and when I got it home it measured slightly wider than 2 1/2"....made it more of a pain than anything.

Is there a special way you are supposed to handle them if the edges are pinked?

I think I'll just continue cutting my own from now on.

Watson

I hate the pinked edges as well! I have that on some of the layer cakes that I have bought as well

I have no answer but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in the disappointment

Pinked edges never bother me. I don't really see them when I put the fabric together. I start sewing from the point, the distance is so tiny between points it is like sewing straight edges. Batik jelly rolls are the worst at being off size. I don't buy those. So far I haven't had any of the Robert Kauffman jelly rolls be off size so that is the brand of jelly rolls I buy. I prefer layer cakes in pre cuts and buy a lot of those. I have the 2 1/2 strip die and use that a lot to cut scrap fabric for string quilts.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I don't mind piked edges, but I do mind incorrect widths. My Moda JRs have all been perfect, but I have two from JoAnn's that are slightly wider. Because they are consistent, I will use them together and not mix with any 'correct' ones.

I don't care for pinked edges on pre cuts but I have heard that when you measure them you are suppose to measure from the tip of the pinked edge. I don't know all the brands that sell jelly rolls but I do know that Robert Kaufman does not pink theirs.

I just cut my own, if they are wrong then it is my fault.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'd suggest handling them very carefully. I don't care for the pinked edges either.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

As you are so disappointed with your purchase can you not return it and get a refund?

Quote Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
    As you are so disappointed with your purchase can you not return it and get a refund?
    I don’t know anywhere that you can return fabric.

Matt Jordan (Jordan Fabrics) hand cuts the 2.5” strips. I hear they are perfect.

I have some jelly rolls and have only used one. I am making Mondo bags. The jelly roll I am using is batik and no pinked edge. Don’t know what brand. I’ve already thrown away the packaging.

I recently used my first package of precut strips. This package (just 14 strips, not a full jelly roll), did not have pinked edges. I enjoyed working with them but a couple of the strips had what I considered bad Vs at the center and then quarter folds. Fabric was exact and consistent width, but had been folded on the bolt badly during the manufacturing process. For my project and cuts it wasn't an issue but it was enough to skew a jelly roll race or skimp a seam allowance here and there.

I'm a big believer in pre-washing. I know a lot of you are used to working with unwashed materials but it does add a slight stress level to me.

If your pinked strips are measuring slightly over 2 1/2 inches, try measuring from the valley of the pinked edge instead of the peaks. Some manufactures measure from the peaks, some from the valley, so it's always best to measure any pre-cut that has pinked edges.

On Donna Jordan's videos sometimes she has 'trimmed' the pinked edges when she uses other than her own fabrics which her husband Matt cuts (no pinked edges); other times she says to use the inside of the pinked edge as your actual edge of the fabric; not the outer part. Hope this helps some.

Tartan - I'll take it off your hands. I love jelly rolls. I've bought all different manufacturers. The only ones I didn't like were the ones I bought from Walmart. When sewing the pinked ones just line up the points. If not exactly the correct width... usually when I'm working with them I'm making bargellos and other strips designs. In the grand scheme of things, the variance isn't noticeable. Of course... I'll never win any prizes - well that's wrong I won Machine made & quilted grand champion at a small rural fair - my quilts are just meant to be pretty, serviceable and warm.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

I don’t like the pinked edges either.

I am so surprised that so many of you don’t like the pinked edges? I would so much rather have the pinked edges than the frayed edges of the other ones. They even look horrible with all the frayed edges all over the place. I just used a white jelly roll that had pinked edges and for the very first time I noticed they were slightly wider than 2 1/2 inches, never noticed that before but like I said it was white solid usually when I use a jelly roll it’s the complete line of the fabric. I guess you just can’t make everyone happy!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    I try to ignore them and most of the time it works for me. They do make it easier to line up the edges prior to sewing.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    I love precuts, and specifically jelly rolls. I do a lot of charity quilting and having one less step to do is a big time saver. I have learned to measure first so if they are slightly over 2 1/2" I can trim the excess or just work with it. I like the convenience of having the entire collection to work with. That is another time saver over having to sort through the stash.

I bought a robert kaufman jelly roll wasn't pinked but it was frayed badly was able to work with it just barley keeping the frayed edges within the 1/4 in seam and hoping the quilting helps hold the seam together don't think i'll ever buy another jelly roll
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    I have had several precuts...the rolls, the 10" and 5" squares, all with pinked edges. I agree with others that one considers the top of the pinked edge as the place to measure the 1/4" from, but often the strips are not a true 2 1/2".
    Precuts are a good idea, but not for me anymore.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    The one thing I donít like about the pinked edges is all the fluff I get from it. All over my shirt my pants in the machine. Ugh. I buy a lot of jelly rolls n layer cakes to make quilts. I would never use for charity quilts as they r too expensive

Quote Originally Posted by AStitchInTime View Post
    If your pinked strips are measuring slightly over 2 1/2 inches, try measuring from the valley of the pinked edge instead of the peaks. Some manufactures measure from the peaks, some from the valley, so it's always best to measure any pre-cut that has pinked edges.
    I agree with this... try measuring from the valleys.

The pinked edges take some getting used to, but they are used to keep the long edges of the strips from raveling. They are quilt effective at that.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I measure then choose a place between the peak and the valley, if need be, to use as my 2.5" mark. The pinking does prevent raveling. You may want to take the vacuum to it while still rolled up. or a piece of tape to reduce the fuzzies.

Blog Entries
    A lint roller works great for removing the lint before unrolling the jelly roll. I only buy my precuts when they are on sale. But even without a sale, they are cost effective for me because I don't have a lot of scraps left to deal with.

Having cut out all the pieces and wrestled with these to get them to fit, I finally measured them and they measure almost an 1/8th of an inch bigger than 2 1/2" wide.
    Which would explain why I couldn't get the angles to work out when I have to match a 45 degree angle between every piece.
    Now, I am slicing the pinked edge off and then turning it around and cutting it to 2 1/2" on each piece of the jelly roll fabric. Not exactly a time-saver.
    Yup...I think I'll just go back to choosing my own colours and cutting my own 2 1/2" strips. All of the strips I cut of yardage work out fine.

Watson