Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I finally got through to my husband >

I finally got through to my husband

I finally got through to my husband

Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by pdcakm View Post
my son asks why i don't sell mine. i explain that selling them would make it a job. i don't want the pressure of "having" to make a quilt. this is my hobby and i do it for fun and relaxation.
People ask me the same thing......I tell them this is my hobby, if I sell them it becomes a job. And I am retired now, so this is my fun time.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Brilliant Comparison! I will tuck that away for a rainy day!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Good point!! Glad he finally "got it".
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by pdcakm View Post
my son asks why i don't sell mine. i explain that selling them would make it a job. i don't want the pressure of "having" to make a quilt. this is my hobby and i do it for fun and relaxation.
I feel the same way. I've had people over the years tell me I should sell them and even other things I make. I said that would take all the enjoyment out of it for me. I make things when the mood hits me. I don't want to have to be on a schedule to have a project done at a certain time etc.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM

I was feeling guilty about wanting to buy another sewing machine. Told husband I don't really need it. He asked if I would use it and said yes - it has a bigger throat space and more bells and whistles. Then he looked at me and said, "I don't really need a motorcycle - I have a truck." He not only encourages me, he enables me! And no, he does not have a brother. (His mother is a quilter though!)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM

My husband is a golfer so when (which is rare) he says something about quilting all I have to say is gold clubs.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM

My husband owns 14 classic cars. He also owns and races 6 drag cars. He has never said anything about any sewing machine, notion, or fabric I have ever purchased. I have always consulted him on any large purchase ( machines, etc.), but he has never said anything negative. We both respect each others hobbies, and we both know and understand the boundaries. Shoot, we went racing last year in Florida and he found 2 quilt shops he wanted to take me to.
By the way, I am his crew chief and I handle tires and starting line procedures. And for my efforts, last year I won a very cool award...the Signature Award, given for outstanding sportsmanship and the promotion of safety of drag racing. Beautiful crystal statue now sits proudly next to Husbands awards.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Mine asks too " is this one for us?"

I am very fortunate, dh would let me buy out the store, except, I am the one who pays the bills.

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Mine does too....it's usually..."can we keep this one?"
Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Racing keeps the heart young. We still have the Island Dragway trophies from when he used to race the family car. (back in early 70's).
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM

My husband has collected and built Model Railways since he was 6yrs old....I have been quilting 18yrs!! ermmmm......NO CONTEST!!! He is very supportive and happy that I quilt!! He is away at a Railway Exhibition this weekend and I am sitting by a lovely log fire happily sewing hexagons!!!! Works for us!!