Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally got through to my husband

Blog Entries
    I love reading everyone's responses! I couldn't agree more!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I'm glad you finally got through to him. I wish my hubby had a hobby so he would understand how important quilting is to me and that it's not about the money, but the enjoyment it brings.

My husband would tell people how much I had spent on my sewing machines. One day after telling someone what I paid I then told them about the house we had to build with a 3 car garage to keep the boat/trailer/motor in and also the car to haul the boat to the river and asked him how much all that cost him. Haven't heard anything about how much I spent on my machine lately. Gee I wonder why!!!!

Pat in MN

About 8 years ago my DH bought a very expensive riding lawnmower for about $4000. When I wanted to pay $1400 for a used Bernina, he thought that was awful. I bought it anyway. I have used my sewing machine every single week since I got it and he used that lawnmower once a week (sometimes) from May to October. Now after 8 years, guess which machine is in perfect condition and which is on its last legs ? We do not have to justify why we quilt !!

Blog Entries
    I had a little different situation. My DH bought a "quilt bed in a bag" because it saved me lots of time instead of making a quilt and the price was the same as the fabric. I was supportive by letting him "feel" the difference in the quality of the fabric. Then I asked him was I suppose to mow his yard while he played golf with all my free time. He looked at his purchase and said "I need to return this to the store".

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    It never crossed my mine to care if DH understands my quilting or not, and he certainly has never had a thought that he should. I just asked him and he said Do you want me to care if you don't care that I don't care? LOL
    I love this. :-) Laura

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    Mine asks too " is this one for us?"

I am very fortunate, dh would let me buy out the store, except, I am the one who pays the bills.
    Mine drops me off in front of either Joann's or Hancocks and says.......have fun and take no prisoners. I spent $95.00 last week at Joann's, all he said.........was that all?.......He turns 55 on Monday, and he is definitely a keeper.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

QM
    Good for you. I am fortunate that my DH has realized all along that the quilts I make for foster kids are important because they help where help is really needed. He says that he understand how important it is to me and to the people who get them. Because I generally have quilts on hand, I was able to rush quilts to dying family members, making the final few days less dreadful. 2 times we have given friends with cancer quilts which they later said cured them. Doubtful, but one was still there clinging to her quilt and smiling over a year after her projected death date.

When my GKs became a part of a "blended" family, they decided to welcome the new brothers with their own TV quilts. they understood that a quilt is a portable hug. Their parents and grandparents were proud of them.

Blog Entries
    I love that you found a way to help him understand. It took me a long time to work out that the only way my husband could understand the spirit in which I enter any crafty shop is the same as he feels when he goes to a hardware store/DIY shop. (The only place of commerce he will enter with no fixed purchase in mind, and linger just to look to see what they've got)

Jim
    SO GLAD my wife and I both are quilters. I wouldnt like to feel the negativity some feel toward their spouses for their hobbies.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    I feel the same way. I've had people over the years tell me I should sell them and even other things I make. I said that would take all the enjoyment out of it for me. I make things when the mood hits me. I don't want to have to be on a schedule to have a project done at a certain time etc.
    Yea, my friends say the same thing. I agree with your outlook.

In December, I posted one of my purses on FB. The sister of a very close friend of mine always compliments my projects. SHe made the comment on how she loved this particular purse and added " put $40.00 on it!!! ". It hit me to GIVE her the purse for Christmas. I had so much fun watching her mouth drop when she realized that it was the purse she fawned over. I had shared a sneak peak of the purse I had made for her sister. It was really fun to surprise both of them. Of course, now they think that I could have a nice side biz. Nah!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I am so lucky to have such a supportive hubby. He urges me to go into the fabric department when we are out shopping. You did have a great come back for the hubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr View Post
    Bill Cosby was right - parents are not interested in justice, they want peace. Lol.

TOOOO FUNNY!! SO TRUE!!
    years ago,when I was of, that was the only of book I read!
    Laurie in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by morelcabin View Post
    My husband, who is the king of having toys, has no problem with my quilting. He loves it when I make a quilt and give it away, and he loves that I have finally found something that I am passionate about. And he can't complain...all I have to id walk into his garage
    My husband is the same. In fact he told me in the fall I could get the long arm I want....I just could not do it because of the $$$'s. So at least when I do go for it I know it will be a welcomed member of the family.

Loved all the comments on this post! I love reading about how husbands and wives are supportive of each other, especially when it comes to hobbies and interests. We do have the famous "limited income" situation so my DH will say, "whatever you want, dear....within reason!" My husband sure is a keeper.

I had started an art quilt when someone in the house asked me who and what I was making it for. When I told her no one and it wasn't for a bed she looked at me like I was crazy.. And when I showed the bed quilt I had made for myself, my brothers girlfriend said Oh I thought you were making it for someone . which is fine but the tone of voice was very dismissive . I told her I had made everyone I wanted to make one for one and now it was MY turn. She just rolled her eyes. Can you tell not a quilter among them.. Neither one of them has any sort of hobby either. What do they do with themselves? LOL
    Glad you all got through to someone.

I asked my husband how many guitars and violins he really needed since he can only play one at a time....Yep, I get it!

I'm glad your husband finally understands. I have spent a small fortune on quilting; but, so far, my husband hasn't complained. He is glad that I have a hobby that gives me so much pleasure. The people to whom I give my quilts love them. To me, that justifies the cost.

Amen, to all of you!

My DH to me. "You have so much fabric". I to him "and you have to many golf balls that you hit in the water"After that he has never said one word to me. Bless his heart.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I should try this approach with my Hubby, but using his golf hobby!!!

Sometimes we men are a little slow on the upraise. LOL Glad he saw the light.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

My husband has no hobbies and he doesn't say anything about my fabrics, machines or any other part of it. He does have alot of saws and such. He did do home improvements, SIL and Son does most of them now. He has an industrial zero turn lawnmower for our medium sized yard. Cost alot more than my 6 machines added together.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    yep, my hubby always asks me what i'm going to do with each quilt i complete.

My husband says this with every completed quilt (or whatever) I show him and it makes me crazy. Do I have to have a designated purpose when I make something? Can't I make something for the pure enjoyment? Ugh!

Blog Entries
    My hubby must be a special one because he never complains about how much material I buy or how many quilts I make and keep, or even how many machines I have.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast