Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I finally got through to my husband >

I finally got through to my husband

I finally got through to my husband

Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

HAHAHA I l am laughing as I told DH years ago: when he asked me why I spent so much on material, I asked him why he spends so much on tools when what I do makes clothes for our kids. The amount of monies he spends on tools (at that time) was more than enough to dress the kids for 10 years, and does his tools make clothes for the kids ? No more said .. LOL
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 AM

LOL - this is GREAT! I love it ... tucking this idea into my back pocket should I ever need it.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 AM

My DH does not have a hobby. He works and reads. I read, quilt, garden when it is warm. He doesn't watch TV-just sports-doesn't fish, hunt, golf, bowl or anything else.
It is hard for him to understand the satisfaction in creating something and then giving it away. And forget about justifying the money spent. No way, no how. Thank goodness I do the books!
I wish he did have a hobby then I could use the suggestions from the board.
Oh well-he is mine and I am going to keep him-he is really one of the good guys.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 AM

My husband says quilting keeps me out of the bars and pool halls!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 AM

My hubby never complained about taking me to shop for fabrics. He was happy staying in the car with his book and soda for as long as it took. After he passed I lost interest in craft fairs with the doll clothes and now make small quilts just for me.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Way to go! I'll have to use that on my hubby about his golfing.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Men are funny creatures.....oh wait, we all are. We see our side, they see thiers.....I wish everyone would just close thier eyes, lol. My husband is a fantastic guy, but sometimes I wonder why he only sees what I spend. He has a large garage and a very large pole barn just to hold his toys. I have the smallest bedroom for my sewing, my cutting table is in the hall. He walks in there and shakes his head at the stuff....I told him, it wouldn't look like so much if I had it in the 42 foot building. He leaves.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Default stash understanding

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
For a few years now my husband has been perplexed at the amount of money I spend on quilting and how I just 'give' my quilts away. He's been after me to sell them. I've told him that it is nearly impossible to get your money back from a quilt. I told him I didn't quilt to make money...it's my hobby. He still didn't get it.

Finally it dawned on me. I said " Why don't you sell all the fish you catch? You have spent so much money on rods and reels and gizmos and clothing and gas and a trailer and you have nothing to show for it." He nodded his head and said "Now I understand".

I wish I would have thought of that a few years ago. I finally got through to him!
I congratulate you on the smart analogy you gave your husband. Wish I had thought of that with my husband and his lack of understanding on my love of fabric, quilting, etc. Of course he has spent lots of money buying computer programs, updating his computer, etc. Oh well.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by morelcabin View Post
My husband, who is the king of having toys, has no problem with my quilting. He loves it when I make a quilt and give it away, and he loves that I have finally found something that I am passionate about. And he can't complain...all I have to id walk into his garage
Husbands like this are worth their weight in gold! Congrats on having one of them!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Mine asked me why I bought so many sewing machines. I asked him why he bought a $62,000 pickup truck. 'nuf said!