Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I finally like binding!!

I finally like binding!!

I've been putting off finishing my quilts because I just couldn't machine bind them to my liking but I couldn't quite "get" hand sewing them either. This weekend I forced myself to google until I found a tutorial that would make it all "click". I'm proud to say I finally have figured it out and love binding!! Such a huge relief to finally enjoy that part f quilting!

What thing did you struggle with until something finally clicked and made it all make sense?

Blog Entries
    i'm still struggling with simple stippling. i can quilt flowers and leaves and pebbles, but not stippling... i box myself into a corner and can't decide how to get to the unquilted area.

glad to hear that you've conquered binding
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

yay for you!. It's great when you finally find your groove. I'd think I would like to work on diamonds some more. Maybe after I clean up some more ufos. I'm fixing all the stuff that used to frustrate me ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Isn't is fun when things click? (light bulb moments!)What tutorial did you use? Share, please.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    My problem area is applique . I can do it but I'm still not sure which method to use and mess about trying too decide.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can stipple but I can't FMQ a motif to save my life! Staying on a line is just not happening over here.

Mastering a new skill is so nice and once you do it's hard to remember what the problem was in the first place.

I agree, share the tutorial!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Isn't is fun when things click? (light bulb moments!)What tutorial did you use? Share, please.
    I've looked at so many that basically ALL said the same thing, but for some reason, when I read it on Amy's Creative Side, I figured it out. Something about it must make my brain shift into gear or something! Either way, I'm super happy I finally know what I'm doing! Now on to all those UFO's!

Katie,
    Which method did you decide to use? (machine binding only, or doing it by hand on one side?)

I sew the front to the top side and hand sew to the back. I have gotten really good and fast at it. I love all of the quilt making process.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by kimg View Post
    Katie,
    Which method did you decide to use? (machine binding only, or doing it by hand on one side?)
    I started binding by machine binding it all, but I never loved the look of it. Using the tutorial, I finally figured out to hand sew to the back to get that look I love. It's so easy now that I finally got the hang of it. I have no idea why I couldn't wrap my head around it before!

Blog Entries
    I like sewing on the binding but joining the ends with a diagonal seam was a headache until I used the method in my JoAnns quilting book. I actually made a sample so I could refer to it.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Banned
    what happened to help you to now love making binding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i'm still struggling with simple stippling. i can quilt flowers and leaves and pebbles, but not stippling... i box myself into a corner and can't decide how to get to the unquilted area.

glad to hear that you've conquered binding
    Ditto this. Quilting the quilt is my most nerve racking part of the whole experience. I always get stuck in the proverbial corner.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I use to dread binding, but now enjoy it. I sew the binding to the front and do the ladder stitch on the back.......no pins, no fuss, and I even find it relaxing.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I never could meander. I can draw it but couldn't stitch it. Now after taking Susanne Moreno's digitizing class I have designed a stipple/meander that will work as a background fill for appliqué blocks with our Intelliquilter. I might need to do the happy dance!
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    Please post the link to the tutorial! I struggle with binding, but I'm making slow progress.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Yes, please post a link to where you found the help you needed. I just sent 8 quilts out to be bound because I just can't get the hang of it.

I slavishly follow the Sharon Chambers binding video using Elmers School Glue. I did it the first time I bound a quilt, and it turned out so well that I love binding. It's that finishing touch that makes the whole quilt look great.

Here's a direct link to the tutorial on the blog, Amy's Creative Side:

http://amyscreativeside.com/2010/05/...ing-a-binding/

Tks for the link. I don't have problems with hand stitching but I like this method even better. I am just about to add the binding to a quilt for a Christmas gift & I am going to try it so your timing was perfect for me. Tks again.
    Dance like no one is watching

I love the binding process. It means completion is near. Basting is my stumbling block- even though I use basting spray! I'm also not super fond of quilting, because I always think of a better quilting design when I'm half done quilting. A couple of quilt tops that I really love are just sitting here, because I just can't make myself quilt them on my DSM. I'd rather use the long arm, but that's more $$ and I need to schedule the time to be away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
    I slavishly follow the Sharon Chambers binding video using Elmers School Glue. I did it the first time I bound a quilt, and it turned out so well that I love binding. It's that finishing touch that makes the whole quilt look great.
    Me too....great tutorial. Note that it is in several parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

Sharon Schambers hand sews the back of the binding in place. That is what you want if you are going to put your quilt into a juried and judged quilt show. But I like to sew most of my bindings on by machine on both sides. I follow her method until the binding has been glued onto the back. Then I turn to the front side and Stitch in the Ditch. With the glue holding the binding in place, your always catch the back, and there are NO PINS to stick you.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Dottymo, I suggest you pick one applique style and use that one only until it becomes second nature. I was privileged to take a class with Pat Campbell years ago and I use only needle-turn. It seems like I am not doing the applique 2 or 3 times with that method. By the time I make templates, glue them, etc., I feel like I have wasted a lot of time. With needle turn, I mark the pieces and applique away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast