Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I finally stumbled onto a great fabric find! I think....LOL

I agree with the lady that offered the idea of chenille made from the rayon. I have quite a bit that I have planned on putting on my quilt machine and make chenille yardage. It is more soft and drapy than cotton, and is great for wearables,such as a vest or jacket.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Donate the fabric locally to someone who can use it. You received it as a gift, so gift it to someone else. Freecycle is a great place to pass on items. If I kept all the fabric people gave me to "quilt" with, my house would be overflowing. I simply don't keep anything not 100% cotton.

I ditto this..why keep something that you "might" use when others can put it to good use making clothes for their kids, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    My daughter and friend were talking about me making quilts, and the friend offered to give me a whole bunch of fabric. My daughter, who isn't a sewer at all and couldn't tell you what is quilting cottons, corduroy or fleece, said "sure". I picked it up yesterday and there are 3 boxes and 1 huge garbage bag of fabrics. Lots of yardage, a couple of bolts, and smaller pieces, and a wide variety of fabrics - crushed velvet to stretch terry, denim, dressy pants fabric, and about 10 yards of a beautiful navy/cream flowery print that I think has rayon in it. It will take me days to get it all sorted and then washed. What am I going to do with all that fabric that really isn't suitable for a quilt? Some of it still has tags and receipts dating back to 1994! I know rayon will shrink if washed/dried.....is it quiltable? I just can't toss it out.....well maybe the fake fur.....LOL. I can see lots of utility quilts and donation quilts in my future!
    Wow, what a great gift! Granted, rayon can shrink dramatically (talking size 20 to doll sized in 60 seconds), but not all rayon shrinks dramatically. I wash silk and rayon before I sew with them and the shrinkage rate can really vary. Test some of these fabrics, and/or resign yourself to maximum shrinkage, and quilt with what is left. A good pressing after a hot water wash and you could be amazed.
    I didn't make this beautiful GFG quilt but it's on my wish list to do

find a group that makes doll clothes and doll quilts for the orphans or homeless, several of the women groups around here to this. The fake fur is great for doll coats.

Lots of nursing homes need wheelchair and walker bags. Corduroy or heavy fabrics are good for that!

there is always dresses for little girls in Haiti. Have you seen that project? Pillowcase dresses are quick and easy, although the rayon might not work. An appliquer might enjoy some of those for art quilts. Google Pillowcase dresses for Haiti, if interested.

Donate the non-quilting fabric to a retirement center or recreation center. You might have to make a few phone calls about whether they want it or not. Some kids camps or recreation centers might love it for costume projects or sewing classes etc. I recently took a whole bag of scraps etc. to a church retirement home where they have a quilters group making charity quilts.

My daughter and friend were talking about me making quilts, and the friend offered to give me a whole bunch of fabric. My daughter, who isn't a sewer at all and couldn't tell you what is quilting cottons, corduroy or fleece, said "sure". I picked it up yesterday and there are 3 boxes and 1 huge garbage bag of fabrics. Lots of yardage, a couple of bolts, and smaller pieces, and a wide variety of fabrics - crushed velvet to stretch terry, denim, dressy pants fabric, and about 10 yards of a beautiful navy/cream flowery print that I think has rayon in it. It will take me days to get it all sorted and then washed. What am I going to do with all that fabric that really isn't suitable for a quilt? Some of it still has tags and receipts dating back to 1994! I know rayon will shrink if washed/dried.....is it quiltable? I just can't toss it out.....well maybe the fake fur.....LOL. I can see lots of utility quilts and donation quilts in my future!
    I inherited a bunch of fabric------some rayon. I washed it and used it in a turning twenty pattern. Worked well.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Maybe make texture quilts for a blind children's group. The guild I used to belong to made them out of all sorts of different fabrics, including upholstery.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Put away the quilts for awhile and stitch up a new wardrobe for you and DD and others!
    there you go! Take Tanya's advise.
    U N T I E

I use heavy fabrics for backings for kids' floor quilts.

Also, great for shopping bags.

And don't forget the heavier stuff for purses of all sorts, too.

or sew for your family, as Tanya suggested.
    U N T I E

I understand your "pain". A co-worker has recently gifted me with 3 bags and a box full of fabric scraps and yardage. I'm going to take the minky pieces and sew them together for a pieced backing for a baby quilt. Some of the heavier pieces will make a great cushion for my new patio furniture. I'm going to use the rest for tote bags.

wow...from the recent posts..there are alot of ways to use all the fabric....you've got alot to do!!!! lol...
    Kitty

I made a beautiful Elmo quilt for my DGS usinf fake fur. You can also make wonderful flowers (for a 3-dimensional effect) out of rayons and polyesters. There are many tutorials on youtube, but this is a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7N9j5lCLY

I use polyester or rayon fabrics for flowers and singe the edges with a candle, before sewing the layers together. They make beautiful flower embellishments - great for quilts, totes, barrettes, etc.

The corduroy or heavier fabrics are great for totes. I recycle all of my unwanted craft items to my DDIL, who teaches at a grade school.

If you want to spend your time making quilts from fabric you feel you HAVE to use because it was free, you can probably make a quilt from most anything. But our local girls clubs very often have sewing classes and the girls need fabric, so I'm sure you could find someone to donate it to who would love it.

Do you have grandchildren or nieces that like Barbies. I took old clothes and made Barbie and Ken clothes for them out of it. My Grandaughter loved it. My sister took some of them to a flee market with her stuff and sold them for a dollar each. Every piece was purchased. I also had some fur that she make a cloak with and trimmed it with the fur. She got $5 for it. I am trying to make more because her flee market days are approching fast. Good luck
    Quilting Mad in Mansfield, Ohio
    Patty

At the Arizona quilt show held in Phoenix there were some fantastic crazy quilts there. They were some of my favorite items in the whole show. Crazy quilts are so much fun to make and the sky's the limit. I've used everything in mine. Some fabric needed stabilizing, but it worked. Speaking from experience avoid nylon or nylon blends. They melt when ironed, and it it really gunks up your iron.

Blog Entries
    I used fake fur to make puppies and teddy bears using my accuquilt cutter!
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries

Uses for odd materials

I'm so glad someone mentioned autistic quilts. They love different textures and feels. We make them in our club with as many kind of fabrics and textures as we can, using 8 inch squares and lap size. Find a local chapter and those kids will love them. One child loved a jean seam that I had attached and was constantly fingering it. You can add lace, rickrack and anything you can think of that is safe and textured.

If I knew I would not use it, I would sell it on craigslist or ebay. I would then use the money for fabric I would use. I say, pick what you know you will use and try to sell the rest.

Lots of good ideas given here. I was just gifted bags and bags of 2-4" cut squares (not all is cotton, not all is new), triangles & some unfinished applique blocks. I have no clue what to do with the squares and triangles...I may use some...but may have to donate the rest to someone who uses them. I usually use strips for making my Irish chain quilts...so maybe I'll try a scrappy one. LOL... one thing for sure...it won't go to waste!
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Have fun sorting through all that fabric. If you have some fabric that you can't use I'm sure there are senior centers or nursing homes that could use it.

Blog Entries
    Do you sew clothing? I love rayon for comfy sundresses, pants and shirts for summer. After a few washings, they don't need ironing, especially if the lines are simple, and they're as cool as cotton in warm weather.

Usually if it's washable, doesn't bleed and sits still nicely when I'm working with it I will use it. Anything too stretchy or difficult gets passed on to someone who will use it. Have fun with your "treasure".

Crazy quilters would love this stuff! Awesome find
    Love 4 stchen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast