Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I found a GREAT deal on basting spray !!! >

I found a GREAT deal on basting spray !!!

I found a GREAT deal on basting spray !!!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 AM

I love this stuff...I use it for lots of things. DH uses it in his guitar cases. I make the linings and he glues them in. It bonds most anything. That's about what I paid for it at Wal-mart.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 AM
LMB

baker mom. I didnt have any trouble with my needle gumming up. It said on the can if you use it sparingly and wait 3 to 5 minutes it will make a temporary bond. I did that and it sewed real nice. I put newspaper down on the floor and held the can the 6 inches away like it said... when I was done I threw the papers away and checked my beautiful hardwood floor and it was fine. I am so new to this that maybe it would only be good for little projects... that's the feeling I am getting. I am really scared to try it on a big quilt now... Guess I got all gung ho before I knew what I was saying. Sorry.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 AM

my biggest concern is that it doesn't wash out. Leaving unknown chemicals on fabric for any length of time will start damaging the fabric. Only the individual quilter can decide if it's worth it to her to use this on quilts. The use of the word "temporary" on the can means you can move the item that has been sprayed, it doesn't mean it washes out.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM

Good to know!!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by LMB
baker mom. I didnt have any trouble with my needle gumming up. It said on the can if you use it sparingly and wait 3 to 5 minutes it will make a temporary bond. I did that and it sewed real nice. I put newspaper down on the floor and held the can the 6 inches away like it said... when I was done I threw the papers away and checked my beautiful hardwood floor and it was fine. I am so new to this that maybe it would only be good for little projects... that's the feeling I am getting. I am really scared to try it on a big quilt now... Guess I got all gung ho before I knew what I was saying. Sorry.
Well that would make a difference. I sprayed the stabilizer, place my fabric on it and started embroidering. it didn't have time to dry. Like I said , that was my experience so after that I made sure to keep the cans far apart :roll: guess it was user error-certainly not the first time for that!