Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I found a stitch in the ditch tool on this site at Keepsake quilting

I would love to find a stitch in the ditch walking foot.....my dream foot.
    I have a Janome 10001
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by Connie1948
    I have a Janome 10001
    Connie
    I ended up buying a Pfaff for that reason. I love the built in walking-foot and my stitch-in-the-ditch foot. My friend with a lot of quilting experince was amazed the first time I showed her one of my stitch-in-the-ditch projects.

= o D

The Binding Thingy on the same website sounds really neat too!

I would think it might work on a Janome. That's the one I use the most. I have a Brother too that is newer and some of the feet I use on both. I'll have to go back and look at that closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie1948
    I have a Janome 10001
    Connie
    That WOULD be perfect. Do they not make such a thing... a walking foot WITH a stitch n the ditch guide? That would help me so much.

If you use the walking foot alone, you don't have the ditch guide and if you use a stitch n the ditch foot, you fight with the fabric bunching up.

I have a Kenmore which is 13+ years old but I think it can use any low shank foot.

Anyone know of such a foot?

Blog Entries
    no bunching. no attachments or adapters needed. doesn't cost a fortune.

works great

they make them for all shanks, and snap-on
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    no bunching. no attachments or adapters needed. doesn't cost a fortune.

works great

they make them for all shanks, and snap-on
    I've seen those. So you don't have the bunching problem that most people use a walking foot for, while using that ditch foot?

I guess what I wanted was a walking (even feed) foot/stitch in the ditch hybrid. That couldn't be impossible to make, right?

One of these days I'll get a foot like the one you pictured and see if that works out for me.

Where do you get a foot like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Carol W
    I guess quilt shops... any place that sell sewing supplies.

Try googling: stitch in the ditch foot
    Should find some online retailers.

I use one to stitch on my back binding and you dont need a walking foot. It stays in the ditch and does not wander. I love it. Got mine at Joanns sewing machine section. It just snaps on.

Thank you.

I'll have to find one. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol W
    this place sells just about every foot known to mankind (... except the one that would make me look 25 pounds thinner. i'm still looking for that one. :lol: )

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/se...FQUoZAodf1MVaA

this one sounds like it's supposed to be an even-feed ditch foot, but i don't have it [yet], so can't say for sure.

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/846-413-006.php

I just bought my stitch-in-the-ditch for my Pfaff this week, haven't used it yet. I just thought it would be a good tool to use since I tend to wander a bit when stitching-in-the-ditch. :lol:

This is the foot I bought but I don't think it works as good as I expected it to work. Maybe it's just me. I can't sew straight LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Izy
    Connie!! I have one of those and didn't know what the heck it was for!!!!

I will try it next time I am in the 'ditchin' and see how I get on....shame on me for not know or investigating what all these feet are for..!!tee hee :lol:

Let us know how you do with your ditchin...

Quote Originally Posted by conblond2005
    This is the foot I bought but I don't think it works as good as I expected it to work. Maybe it's just me. I can't sew straight LOL
    Nope. It's not just you.

IZY
    Next time your ditchin let us know how it's going for you.. I still can't get them right..

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by conblond2005
    IZY
    Next time your ditchin let us know how it's going for you.. I still can't get them right..
    I should be at the quilting stage this week for the baby applique quilt I am working on, so will give it a go, I usually use my even feed foot, OR my open toe, depending if I am going around curves or not. My only concern is that you don't get a clear view with it, but aren't you supposed to line up the central plate with your line of stitching????

I sent an e-mail to Keepsake Quilting on that foot and they said it should work with Janome but if not to return it. I just might buy it this month. Sure would be nice to be able to stay in the ditch.

I sent an e-mail to Keepsake Quilting and they said it should work on Janome but if not to send it back. I just may buy one this month.

The ditch foot is not a walking foot so dosnt work well for quilting.
    It works very well for sewing the back binding on when you stitch in the ditch from the front. It stays in the ditch and dosnt wander, I love it.

Blog Entries
    The Ditch Foot Connie bought WILL work for quilting the ditch. i use one all the time.

it's like any other gadget ... it's a helper. you can't avoid "the human factor". the center guide will help you see more easily whether or not the sandwich is feeding straight, but you still have to make sure you keep it lined up correctly as you feed it.

1. it works best when the seams have been pressed to one side; especially when you feed it through with the press to the left. (**a blind hemming foot works better if the press is to the right.**)
    2. feed it through so that the center guide is tight against the fold.
    3. if you want the stitching to disappear completely, position the needle so that it lines up one a teeeny bit to the left of the center guide. (the best needle position is going to depend on the weight of the fabrics and loft of the batting, so definitely do tests on scrap sandwiches for each project.)

normally, spray basting is sufficient. however, if the top fabric is a lighter weight than normal, or stretchier than normal, or if the batting is thick, i recommend you baste with a needle and thread ... using stitches between 1/4" and 1/2" long. baste between 1/4" and 1/2" away from the seam.

i've never tried using a ditch foot on curves, but i suspect it wouldn't be much help. the blind hemming foot might, but i don't remember having tried that yet, either.

practice on scrap sandwiches first. you'll develop an "eye" for the best place to start and stop; tension setting; needle position, ideal speed, etc.

another surprise helper for quilting in the ditch
    Name:  Attachment-9949.jpe
Views: 164
Size:  5.1 KB

Ah Patrice, you speak such wise words.

Connie and Izy, I have that foot, I bought it from my sewing machine shop. It is a Janome foot but fits my Pfaff Hobby machine (snap on feet).

I have only done one baby quilt with it so far, but I thought it was GREAT. I found that while stitching, you naturally have fabric on one side of the seam that is a little more prominent than the other side, if that makes sense? I found that if I made sure that the blade part of the foot was well in the ditch, and the side of the blade pushing against the more prominent side of fabric, the stitching was well and truly in the ditch, and never wandered (unless my mind did!).

Thanks ladies for all the info. Not sure when I'll buy one but imagine it will be soon. Trying to cut back on stuff before Christmas. Money gets tight this time of year.