Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I get to teach quilting!!! >

I get to teach quilting!!!

I get to teach quilting!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 AM

I would also contact some of the online fabric shops. Tell them what you're doing and ask if they have any 'ends' they'd be willing to donate.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:42 AM

You could put out the word to local guilds, I bet you would get lots of donations. For that matter, send me you mailing address and I will send thread. Any other notions that would easily mail, just let me know.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Speaking of fabric. See if you can get some from estate sales donated. They may give it to you just so they don't have to deal with loading it up and taking it to GW or SA. Some of those estate sales have left over batting and flannel sheets. The ones I like to hit are the ones that say women's plus-size clothing. Even clothes from their own homes or relatives. Give them a seam ripper and let them take out their frustrations.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 AM

Karen have you thought about the 10 minute block? That would also be a quick quilt for your class. Suzanne McNeil has a quick tutorial on You Tube for this. Check out the Bow Tie quilt from 10 minute blocks in the picture section of todays Board for the YouTube site. Just another idea for you.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:06 AM

Have you checked your LQS? Mine sometimes donates sale fabric to a local school, the teacher is a regular customer.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 AM

I am excited with you... What an undertaking but a wonderful one!
I'm sure you will get a great feeling of reward in teaching these young ladies as well as the gifting aspect to the kids in Haiti
Old 01-14-2014, 08:15 AM

As to your question about where to find reasonably priced thread, I buy mine at connectingthreads.com. Watch for their sales. I get their thread on sale for $1.79 a spool for a nice 50wt. cotton. There is 1200yds on each spool. I quilted a large quilt with an intricate design and still had half a spool left! Only caveat is it can be a little linty, which means you have to clean the machines periodically. Wonderful thing you are doing!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM

For batting the Warm Company, which has a plant near us, is very generous for charity or donation quilt materials. They gave us several bolts which had minor flaws or were a little soiled. We just cut off the bad parts and used it all year long. For materials could you run an ad or perhaps an article in your local newspaper asking for fabric donations? My mom's group which meets in the local senior center always gets huge bags of fabric donated because someone has died who had a huge stash. Some of it is dated, but still very useable.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

wow this is a big undertaking, each girl will make two quilts right? I would use 9 patch and rail fence. I have tied several quilts and I find if I stitch in the ditch all away around the inside of the borders after the quilt is tied, it anchors the quilt and batting better. The girls can do this easy and their eyesight is so much better than ours! Best of luck.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

They have thread on sale right now. Just saw it in the catalog.

Originally Posted by salederer View Post
As to your question about where to find reasonably priced thread, I buy mine at connectingthreads.com. Watch for their sales. I get their thread on sale for $1.79 a spool for a nice 50wt. cotton. There is 1200yds on each spool. I quilted a large quilt with an intricate design and still had half a spool left! Only caveat is it can be a little linty, which means you have to clean the machines periodically. Wonderful thing you are doing!