Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I got the comic book boards now what? >

I got the comic book boards now what?

I got the comic book boards now what?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Default I got the comic book boards now what?

I got the comic book boards and must say I was disappointed in their lack of rigidity. Until I started rolling my fabric on them; now I'm hooked! OK here's the question; besides recording the length on the board, is there anything else you are doing to organize or keep track of what you have? I know this sounds weird but I don't want to miss something that would really make this organization even more efficient.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
OK here's the question; besides recording the length on the board, is there anything else you are doing to organize or keep track of what you have?
I don't use the boards but have a similar method. I just count the wraps when I want to use something. If your boards are X wide, just multiply that by the wraps. No need to measure each length.

piney
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM

I write date/place I purchased the fabric in case I need more, but that is probably not necessary. Then I just arrange them by type of fabric and color. All batiks together, all Civil War together, etc. I love how neat they look and it takes so much less space! Room for more yummy fabric!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM

I have been using the comic book boards for years now. Love how they look on the shelves, so nice.
Glad you tried them before giving up. They don't have to be too rigid.
And I use a colored paper clip, they don't rust, to hold it on the board.
Enjoy them.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 PM

I bought the magazine size instead of the comic size. I found a couple wooden letter sorters to store my fabrics. Remember letter sorters? The kind used in schools when each teacher had a slot they checked in the office every day. Each slot is a little larger than a sheet of paper, so the magazine size are perfect. I don't use a paper clip though. I simply stick it in there... works for me anyway.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Boy I just had a light bulb moment! I'm going to cut off a strip of the color-code dots and tape them to the board for color reference! Now if I had only thought of this sooner. Oh well I've got to order more boards (started with 100 and it looks like I need about 800 or 900 more).
Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 AM

I love using the comic boards and have made much better use of my stash now that I can see it all easily. I don't mark any info on the boards...just too lazy I guess! I do use the jumbo vinyl coated paperclips to keep the ends in place. I order a big container of them from Amazon.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Hi, I use the magazine size boards and agree that once used, they don't feel as flimsy.

I made a "form" on my computer that I attach to each piece of wrapped fabric. I record the manufacturer, collection name/style number, the fabric width, yardage and whether or not washed.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:10 PM

I just had to clean out my sewing room for visiting grandson. I put all my fabric in boxes. Other than looking nice what is the difference of space saved using a board instead of just laying flat? What is the minimum you can put on a board? I'm trying to decide if I have enough shelf space to wrap fabric.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fabricbug View Post
I just had to clean out my sewing room for visiting grandson. I put all my fabric in boxes. Other than looking nice what is the difference of space saved using a board instead of just laying flat? What is the minimum you can put on a board? I'm trying to decide if I have enough shelf space to wrap fabric.

I discovered it takes just about the same amount of shelf space for fabric on boards as it does for stacks. But with fabric on boards there is no bottom of the stack.

The shortest lengths I have on 8 x 11 inch size boards is 2 yards. I have some boards that are about 5 x 11 and they have yard and a half lengths. Anything shorter than that is in dresser drawers.