Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: I got EQ5!!!

  1. #1
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    After a less than lackluster day, there was a package waiting for me at home. Whenever I buy stuff off eBay or someone send me something I seem to instantly forget about it until it arrives in my mail box.

    It was a copy of EQ5!

    Someone---who wishes to remain anonymous---caught my post about whether getting EQ was worth the high cost. She had EQ5 and was just going to donate it to a library since she never really used it, but after seeing I was interested in getting it decided to give it to me if I wanted. Didn't even want a penny for it! That was really generous of her!

    Currently trying to get it to download onto my computer as we speak :)

  2. #2
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,458
    OMG! <--- Wish I could make that larger! That is huge for you! Cuddle it like it is your only child. Give it a kiss from Aunt Tonnie. That kind of charity NEVER happens to me. Usually if someone is donating fabric, it is their old polyester liesure suits or incomplete patterns. Once, someone sent me a box of underware, telling me with as crafty as I am, surely I could find a use for the elastic waist-bands. Ewww and Ick!

  3. #3
    Super Member cathylynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,107
    Blog Entries
    1
    that's great! just don't be like me and never use it. it's been on my computer now for a couple of years and I've yet to design anything with it.

  4. #4
    Super Member quilterella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Small town south of Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    That's fabulous! I too am in search for EQ5, as I had it once and have since lost the CDs for it. Too many moves in a short span and now all I can find are the manuals. Again, Congratulations, put it to work and show us your projects!

  5. #5
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterella
    That's fabulous! I too am in search for EQ5, as I had it once and have since lost the CDs for it. Too many moves in a short span and now all I can find are the manuals. Again, Congratulations, put it to work and show us your projects!
    Didn't EQ5 have the serial number on the back of one of the manuals? Or was that EQ6.
    If you could "borrow" someone else's EQ5 CD, you could install it using that number, and still be kosher. And if you registered it with EQ by mailing in the postcard, they would also have the number on file.
    Worth checking out. ;-)

    @Flying
    Have fun with your new toy. It's addictive.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Way cross, Georgia
    Posts
    411
    Blog Entries
    1
    The members of this board never cease to amaze me! Some of the most kind hearted people I've ever known.

    So happy for you! Enjoy!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Formerly NY, IL, AL, TN, HI, FL, AL, MD and Germany. Now living in TN again. Moving to Arkansas
    Posts
    638
    Wonderful! Let us know about your creations.

  8. #8
    Super Member chairjogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Posts
    2,753
    Blog Entries
    2
    had to google to find out what you are talking about. Results: Electric Quilt 5 software
    Code: A-EQ005
    Type: Quilt Design Software
    Price: $110.00

    you have a very ( !) generous friend there !!!

    have lots of fun !

    Ell

  9. #9
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,284
    Blog Entries
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterella
    That's fabulous! I too am in search for EQ5, as I had it once and have since lost the CDs for it. Too many moves in a short span and now all I can find are the manuals. Again, Congratulations, put it to work and show us your projects!
    You might contact Electric Quilt and explain that you lost the CD. They might replace it if you give them the serial numbers on the manuals. It's possible, too, that there'd be a charge for it. Can't hurt to ask.

  10. #10
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    That's wonderful!! I hope you have a wonderful time playng with it!!!!

  11. #11
    Junior Member beckalou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    150
    There are some really generous people on this board, how nice of someone to send you that program. That being said, I have been wanting a Singer 301 for a while now, but am not sure how much use I would get out of it.......lol ;)

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    662
    I have EQ5 and it's great. I never felt the need to upgrade to a new version. It has everything I could think of using. You'll love it!

    A big shout to the generous "friend". This place amazes me.

  13. #13
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    I finally got around to playing with it for a little bit. Tried making the Tsunami quilt.

    For the first five minutes I could not figure out why my line was curving when I'd try to make a straight one. After five minutes I finally noticed the tool bar on the right side and had the tool that made the curved lines. Managed to make a block with ease after that, but couldn't figure out how to get it onto a quilt setup. Figured I could put it in the scrapbook and go from there. Took me forever to figure out how to get rid of the sashing that was automatically put into the quilt layout. Made a second block. Would not let me automatically put in the blocks when I managed to put in more columns and rows.

    Eventually got too ticked and gave up.

    Eh, seems like the last couple of days I've been a little bit testier than usual. Of course, on Tuesday I had to have a tooth extraction (cause the little sucker was causing me a lot of grief...it had to go!). The resulting temporary hole in my mouth hurts just as much as the actual tooth did except now I have to make sure its clean and my tooth actually let me eat like a normal human being. I've been reduced to juice, applesauce, and soup. I tried eating some Progresso chicken noodle soup a while after the extraction and it took me an hour because I physically couldn't put the whole spoon in my mouth nor could I chew on more than one piece of ultra soft vegetable/noodle. So if I wasn't in pain (ranging from "mere annoyance" to "$#[email protected] that hurts!" ) and starving I might have had more patience with the software...or so I think.

  14. #14
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    Congratulations! If you like playing with graphics programs or publishing programs, you're going to like this, too. :)

    But I will say that with EQ, the help files are not just a nice little luxury - they're a necessity. It's not the most intuitive program in the world to operate.

    So don't feel bad and don't be frustrated - start with the easier lessons and work up to the more difficult ones. :)

    There are a TON of free tutorials for EQ on the web - and a bunch of user support info on the ElectricQuilt.com site.

    Hope your extraction site heals up quick, quick, quick and you can have fun with this new toy! :)

  15. #15
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    But I will say that with EQ, the help files are not just a nice little luxury - they're a necessity. It's not the most intuitive program in the world to operate.
    So very true.

    Totally anecdotal, but I've found over the years that quilting friends (regardless of quilting level) who had experience in graphics programs (from Corel to AutoCad) had a much easier time initially than those (though they may be wizzes) with Word and Excel and general office software experience.

  16. #16
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Congratulations! If you like playing with graphics programs or publishing programs, you're going to like this, too. :)

    But I will say that with EQ, the help files are not just a nice little luxury - they're a necessity. It's not the most intuitive program in the world to operate.

    So don't feel bad and don't be frustrated - start with the easier lessons and work up to the more difficult ones. :)

    There are a TON of free tutorials for EQ on the web - and a bunch of user support info on the ElectricQuilt.com site.

    Hope your extraction site heals up quick, quick, quick and you can have fun with this new toy! :)
    Thanks. :) I hope it heals up quickly, too. But I noticed tonight the clot covering the hole was missing...they call it "dry socket" and it basically means the clot became dislodged and exposed the nerve. Which I know sounds horrible, but not to worry: I'm not in excruitating pain and I'm making sure the extraction site is clean (surprisingly the salt water gargle makes it feel better). But I sure feel that nerve if I happen to miss a dose of Advil Liqui-Gels! Definatly a little bit more painful than the "pressure" and "slight discomfort" the dentist told me about. I'll have to call him in the morning about it. On a brighter note I was able to eat a small sandwich with my soup today.

    I'll have to read up on the help files later. But for now I'm going to go watch Tron.

  17. #17
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS

    Totally anecdotal, but I've found over the years that quilting friends (regardless of quilting level) who had experience in graphics programs (from Corel to AutoCad) had a much easier time initially than those (though they may be wizzes) with Word and Excel and general office software experience.
    I guess that's true in my case, too. I can run Paint Shop Pro in my sleep and I used to be very good with Corel Draw and Painter.

    But I can *barely* make Word processors do even a tiny bit of what I want them to do - and any kind of spreadsheet-y thing makes me cry. :mrgreen:

    EQ is hard on your nerves if you're used to sitting down to a program and having it do what you want it to do right from the start. ;)

  18. #18
    Super Member thepolyparrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,038
    Owwwwwwww.... :thumbdown: I had that "dry socket" condition once and it was pretty darn painful, to say the least. I hope that's all gone real quick.

    I started sewing some 1" scraps together the other day thinking I'd make a little nine-patch quilt. Nice mindless, relaxing project.

    But, then I started thinking I had seen some way of making the sashing look like star points so I started sketching it out on paper and then I went to drawing it in EQ.

    It's a very common pattern, as it turns out - common as toast. :) But I think it will be pretty when it's done - about 200 civil war prints with just a few aged-looking solids here and there. I've spent hours playing with the layout (instead of sewing the blocks, mind you. ;) ) and now I'll have the fun of actually making the quilt.

    This is one of the joys of EQ - you can make the quilt as many times as you want until it's looking like you want it to look. *Then,* you cut the fabric. :) Have fun!

  19. #19
    Super Member Rose L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nebraska..The Good Life
    Posts
    2,142
    Blog Entries
    1
    So happy for you Goddess! I can't wait to see that green and yellow quilt you designed come to life.

  20. #20
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Owwwwwwww.... :thumbdown: I had that "dry socket" condition once and it was pretty darn painful, to say the least. I hope that's all gone real quick.

    I started sewing some 1" scraps together the other day thinking I'd make a little nine-patch quilt. Nice mindless, relaxing project.

    But, then I started thinking I had seen some way of making the sashing look like star points so I started sketching it out on paper and then I went to drawing it in EQ.

    It's a very common pattern, as it turns out - common as toast. :) But I think it will be pretty when it's done - about 200 civil war prints with just a few aged-looking solids here and there. I've spent hours playing with the layout (instead of sewing the blocks, mind you. ;) ) and now I'll have the fun of actually making the quilt.

    This is one of the joys of EQ - you can make the quilt as many times as you want until it's looking like you want it to look. *Then,* you cut the fabric. :) Have fun!
    Did you just say 200 Civil war fabrics? Gosh...I thought
    the wallhangings I'm planning out with 70ish different watercolor fabrics was a lot!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.