Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I GOTTA NEW TOY!!!

So my birthday is on Saturday and DH came home with my present early... A Brother SE400!!! Yous should have seen my daughter try to carry the box inside :lol: She actually thought is was for her... haha fat chance. So now that I have my lovely machine, does anyone have any hints or experiences that they would like to pass my way?
    I have heard about stabilizers and have bought 2 different kinds to try, but also heard about coffee filters and dryersheets. Is that right?
    Also about thread and that the Rayon thread likes to bleed?
    Please let me know if those are correct and any new info you guys might be able to give... I need all the help I can get ;)

Pam
    YAY! New stuff!

Congrats, what a great birthday present. Have fun and share your work with us.

WooHoo, what a GREAT gift!

There are several stabilizers available depending on your project... fusible knit for t-shirts, sticky peel away for unhoopable projects, tearaway, cutaway, and water soluble. Sometimes you can get a sample to try these so you know what works best for you. Yes, rayon thread does have a tendency to bleed. It sews the prettiest for me, but if I'm making an embroidered quilt top, I like to use polyester embroidery thread, especially if it's for a baby quilt which will get a lot of wear and need washing often. Enjoy your machine. It's a whole new world!

Blog Entries
    Happy birthday. Enjoy your new toy.

Nancys Notions had a booklet STABILIZERS THE FOUNDATIONS GUIDELINES. I strongly suggest getting it, reading it, then keep it near your machine. Worth every penny!

Enjoy your new machine and stock up on all those different stablizers, I know I run out all the time. Also beware of people wanting you to embroider all sorts of stuff for you, they come out of the woodwork. hahaha

Happy B-day to you! Your DH is a keeper! Have fun with your new toy and post a pic of her!

Definitely will be making things today... just have to get it set up on my table and see if I can do it without chickening out.. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday !

Hubby is definitely a keeper :mrgreen: And now the addiction grows :shock: If he only knew :wink: LOL

The stabilizers are the tricky part , ask me how I know :roll:

Hi Brookmarie,

Wishing you a happy birthday in advance and I hope you get year and years of pleasure from your new baby!

Hugs

Caroline

Happy Birthday and I'm so happy you got your new machine.
    I have several brothers I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Blog Entries
    WooHoo!!! :D:D:D

http://emblibrary.com/ has a big section of tutorials. It explains about which stabilizers to use, and how to hoop different projects, lots of other information.

I would avoid coffee filters, dryer sheets may work on some things... The sucess of a wrinkle free embroidered project depends on the stabilizer. Walmart sells washaway, cutaway and tear away, as well as Joann's if you are looking for good deals. I buy it off of the bolt and it can be cheaper than the packages.

Congrats, also check out sewforum.com they have oodles of info there!

have many happy hours sewing that is the best present a man can give his wife does it have the USB port to send designs to the machine with . Also there are a lot of free designs on the web my fav is bunncup designs all her retired ones are free so have fun

it does have a usb port, so i will be checking our her site (do you have an address, can't find it). I am coming up with one problem when doing this... the top looks great, but the bottom part has little globs of the top thread just knotted up together and I can't figure out why for the life of me. Does anyone know what I can do to fix that?

Be sure everything is threaded right even if it looks right start over and completely rethread top and bottom and check for burs on needle and that the shuttel is in right I have had them move on me . Also I will look up bunnycup address and send it to you I am at work now and don'thave it with me

oh my goodness!! I just found her site and I want the all :lol: They are all just soooo cute!

I don't think its a threading problem because it sstarts off great then knots, then is good again. It just keeps going back and forth

the site I was telling you about is www.bunnycup.com Also try Ann the Grann site they have a lot of free designs

When threading it, floss back and fourth the thread in the tension disks. It always works.

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    When threading it, floss back and fourth the thread in the tension disks. It always works.
    Ok, sorry... you lost me :?

Good for you! There must have been some subtle hints along the way....or did he pick it out himself?

Have fun and happy birthday!

yes, Definite hints (the ones that say I want that and wouldn't mind if I got it early) :lol: He catches the hints so well doesn't he.. hehe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast