Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm new - gotta a questions >

I'm new - gotta a questions

I'm new - gotta a questions

Old 08-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Default I'm new - gotta a questions

Hi, this is my first post but I've been reading and learning from you all summer. I haven't quilted in several years but with my first grandbaby on the way I've dove back in head first.

My question is regarding hand quilting thread. I'd like to quilt the baby's quilt with a gold thread, preferably metallic. Does such a thread exist that can also be washed and dried (a lot)?

Thanks in advance and thank you for all the learning I've received so far.

Stephanie
Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 AM

I’ve not use the gold but I have used the silver of this and it worked well. I have only washed it once so far but all the other things I have made with Gutermann threads have washed well.

https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatal...iABEgJYAPD_BwE

This is a a UK supplier but I am sure you can find a US supplier easily. It isn’t metallic as metallic threads are really hard to hand quilt with I have found (they snag)
Old 08-21-2018, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Hi Stephanie and welcome to the board. A trilobal Polyester in gold has the shimmer of a metallic. Glide or Superior Magnifico are both very shiny and have golds without being metallic.

Mettalics can be fragile and also do not glide smoothly through the fabric as RJLinkletter mentioned. I suspect you may get a lot of fraying and aggravation attempting to hand quilt with it, unless you used something like Wonderfil's Sizzle product which is an 8 wt and would easily hold up to the stress placed on thread for handquilting. But this thread will also probably give you some resistance when pulling through the sandwich. You would need to do a big stitch style as the thread is so heavy.

Here is a link to Wonderfil's on line store:
http://www.wonderfilonline.com/

And a specific link to the Sizzle product. http://www.wonderfilonline.com/index.php?cPath=21_33

A little hint for this thread, get a washable glue stick like Elmer's washable glue sticks and run just the end of the thread through it and let it dry. Will make it much easier for you to thread your needle. When I use this product and others like it I do the glue stick on it as soon as I cut off a piece. That way by the time I am ready for a new length of thread, the end is already stiff and ready to get threaded onto a needle.

I have done some lovely sashiko style quilting with their Dazzle product which only has one strand of metallic mixed with rayon.

Now one note of caution, Rayon used to be notorious for not being colorfast and fading horribly. I don't know if that is still the case.

If you really want to play it safe but have that little shimmer or sparkle, go with Glide or Magnifico.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 08-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana. Glide has a polyester thread in a gold tone that looks like metallic, but doesn't shine quite as much. The gals that I know that use metallic thread use it for Wall hangings that will get washed maybe once or twice in a lifetime. But that doesn't mean that you can't use it if you want to. Personally, I wouldn't use the metallic for a baby quilt, but that is just me. Cotton or Polyester is a good soft thread.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:25 PM

I love Superior threads metallics but I would not use them in a baby quilt or to hand quilt with. Glide has a lovely gold colored thread that comes very close to the look of the metallics and will work much better for your purpose. I often use it for the bobbin when quilting with the metallics in the top. Much softer and stronger for use in hand quilting.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM

Welcome from Vermont.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:25 PM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! I wouldn't use metallic on any baby quilt. Do you think you can use one of the gold colored cotton/poly threads?
Old 08-21-2018, 03:44 PM

Thanks all! I didn't realize the drawbacks to using metallic threads so I definitely won't use those. I'm going to check out the links and other great suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
Hi and welcome from North Carolina! I wouldn't use metallic on any baby quilt. Do you think you can use one of the gold colored cotton/poly threads?
The ones I've seen so far in the stores have looked more yellow than gold to me but that definitely doesn't mean one isn't out there. Just means I haven't looked hard enough yet.

So much to re-learn!