Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fairfield Toasty Cotton Batting >
  • Fairfield Toasty Cotton Batting

• Fairfield Toasty Cotton Batting

Old 08-02-2018, 07:08 AM

Default Fairfield Toasty Cotton Batting

Has anyone used the Fairfield toasty cotton batting at JoAnn's? I just saw their email and the roll is on sale for $75. Having just gotten my new longarm going and having several quilt tops to finish this would really be a good deal for me if it is a good quality. On a side note, I know several of you like the Hobbs 80/20 but I tried it and didn't like it at all. It wasn't cut straight (I bought 3 queen size), it had thin spots, other places that looked like a cat had been clawing at it, and it just didn't lay right. Probably won't buy it again.
    Old 08-02-2018, 08:09 AM

I haven't used the Fairfield brand, but for some reason I think it's a lower quality than Hobbs. I love the Hobbs 80/20 and do by mine at JAF, but I buy it off the roll and have never had a problem with thin spots. I've had better luck buying off the roll by the yard. I did purchase some other cut & packaged brand, but had the same experience you did, thin in spots and just inferior looking.
    Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 AM

I personally like toasty cotton, but I think I have read on the board that it doesn't play nice with long arm machines. I might have to pick another roll up if it's only $75.
    Old 08-02-2018, 11:30 AM

I like to test a batting before I purchase a roll of it. Sounds like a great price but you may get what you pay for or it may be terrific. I'm on a hunt for a polyester batting that I like. Enjoy the hunt.
    Old 08-02-2018, 01:33 PM

I use it and have never had a problem with it. I quilt with a very plain Jane Innova no stitch regulator or anything on a superflex wooden frame. Since I give away all my quilts I have to be thrifty!
    Old 08-02-2018, 02:38 PM

I have use it and have had no problems.
    Old 08-02-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by toverly
    I like to test a batting before I purchase a roll of it. Sounds like a great price but you may get what you pay for or it may be terrific. I'm on a hunt for a polyester batting that I like. Enjoy the hunt.
    Have you tried Hobbs Tuscany Collection poly? It seems softer that Polydown. I've done a large throw with it and will start a queen tomorrow. I like more definition with my batting. It's a little hard to tell if I got it with the throw because I put a second layer of a thinner batting under the center with the horses.
    Old 08-03-2018, 02:11 AM

Glad to hear that some of you have no problems with it. Never used it but for the price, I tried to purchase the $75 roll but it is not available at my local Joann, in fact the closest store that had 6 in stock is about 150 miles round trip. So tried to order online, said it is not available to ship. Got another email from Joann this morning and they are now offering the 90 x 6 yd roll/package for 50% 0ff at 34.99 and I found a coupon for free shipping. Ordered 2. Guess the large roll for $75.00 sold out.
    Old 08-03-2018, 03:19 AM

For my Project Linus quilts I purchased a roll of batting through Walmart. It was Pellon natural blend 80/20 and 120" wide, 10 yards on a bolt. It says on the end of the bold that loft is 1/16". The same as Warm and Natural I believe. Seems like it wasn't expensive at all (under $50), but I could be wrong there. This quilts better than Warm and Natural to me and I'll be ordering again and picking it up later next week. I really like this batting for my quilts!

Last edited by lindaschipper; 08-03-2018 at 03:22 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Old 08-03-2018, 05:12 AM
    Power Poster

It says on the email flier that you can order it online and pick it up at your store... so it's never sold out.