Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fairfield Toasty Cotton Batting >

Fairfield Toasty Cotton Batting

Fairfield Toasty Cotton Batting

Old 08-04-2018, 04:12 AM

Contact Hobbs and let them know about the problems you had with their batting. They replaced a package of defective batting for me.

Rob
Old 08-04-2018, 06:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and bought a roll. If it is decent quality, I got a great deal. If not, then it was a costly learning experience and I will be making a lot of small items that I can cut around weak areas.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:07 AM

well.....I also bought a roll. I was able to order in via their online store and applied the free shipping coupon number. I am hoping this will work for my charity quilts for Project Linus. Too good a price to not give it a try! Thanks for everyone's comments...makes it easier to give it a try. I have also ordered via my LQS a roll of Dream Wool batting (I LOVE that for my gift quilts)....it's on its way too!
Old 08-04-2018, 10:13 AM
mac

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
I have also ordered via my LQS a roll of Dream Wool batting (I LOVE that for my gift quilts)....it's on its way too!
I was looking at the wool batting and wondering how it did with machine quilting. Is it a warm batting? I am thinking of when I get hot flashes when I sleep and if it would be too warm for me to sleep under.

Also, I bought 2 bags of Toasty Cotton batting for JA's. I read on a blog that it was pretty good. The blogger showed two quilts, one with Toasty and the other Warm and Natural. She said that the Toasty shrunk just a little bit more after washing, but that it was easy to machine quilt and that she thought it was pretty good and would buy it again.

By the way, it really doesn't come on a roll, at least that isn't how the bag looked. It is probably rolled and then folded in half. The bag really isn't that big, considering that it has 20 yards of batting in. I'll see how it does after I finish my quilt.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:00 PM

FYI about JOANN stores- By On Line, Pick Up At Store.......the particular product you want must physically be in the store at the time of your order. WhT they are doing is letting you purchase through the internet vs. actually shopping through the store
Old 08-05-2018, 09:25 AM

The wool batting I use is called Quilters Dream Wool batting - Quilters Dream Batting, 589 Central Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23454 phone (757) 463-3264. This is from the bolt from my LQS. It is wonderful to quilt with and because it's a natural product, it "breathes". Here's more info on it: www.quiltersdreambatting.com

Happy sewing everyone!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:09 PM

I just used the Fairfield Toasty Cotton batting today in a little sample QAYG & I really, really like it. It is thin & light weight & just what I want when I get my Calif. King quilt finished. I don't want the quilt to be real heavy & it doesn't have to be really warm as we live in Texas & don't need a lot of heat. As soon as Jo-Ann gets more in stock for online purchases I am going to order more with some gift cards that I have set aside just for batting.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:59 PM

I use hobbs 80/20, purchased form Marshall Dry good. It's about $120 +shipping per 96" x 30 yards. I won't say I'm accurate as to the yardage in the batting. It could be 20 yards It's always worked well for me.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Well, I've got both the Dream Wool batting and Fairfield Toasty batting. I haven't used the Fairfield Toasty yet, but it looks great to me so far. I think I'm going to be glad I purchased it at such a great price!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 AM

The host of my Tuesday small group uses this batting for all her "children's corner" quilts and most of her personal projects and likes it quite a bit.

I've been unhappy with Joann for a long time now, unfortunately they are the only fabric store close to me (my other "close" options are Walmart and a Hobby Lobby that just opened), the quilt stores available to me are about a 30 minute drive each way. About a year ago I ordered a roll of batting (not this one) and the only option was home delivery. So I sat at home for 2 weeks (which is why I wanted it shipped to the store) and it never came. Another week and I found it had been "lost in transit" -- not that they contacted me. Had a terrible time with Customer Service, they tried to take a restocking fee out of my refund and I hit the roof. Recently (last week) I did use the 60% off coupon for a quilt back and it was the first/only thing I've gotten in the last year.

I looked into the batting at Walmart, even though they call it a fat batt by weight they didn't really take into consideration the width of it and it was quite thin. I'm glad I checked it out in person first.

My most recent roll I got online, it was a close-out and I don't remember the name, but I've been very happy with it (good thing since it was a 25 yard roll). It's very similar to the Toasty. Had no problems with the order which is what I really needed after the basically one month wait/battle with Joann.