Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I had to laugh..... >

I had to laugh.....

I had to laugh.....

Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 AM

My iron hit the floor as well the other day and I picked it up in 2 pieces. Luckily I figured out how to put it back together and so far it still works. It is a nice Rowenta with a large water tank so I felt kind of sick when I thought it was a goner. Probably I need a back-up because this is sure to happen again!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:25 PM

I had a really good Oster Iron for years. Somehow its handle got cracked hubby taped it so it wouldn't pinch my hand when I ironed. No need for a new iron... Then it started dumping the steam water... so I started using a spray bottle. Then another day I tried filling it again and it dumped all the water and turned itself off. Threw it in the trash and bought a new nice iron. Hate it because its hard to see the settings and it has a filter so I have to take that out every so often and soak in vinegar to remove the chemicals from the water. Won't work without the filter in place. Hate it but dang I paid good money for it and I have to use it. Then last year the big doorprize at my quilting guild meeting was a Rowenta Iron . I didn't win it but my friend did. (She really needed a new iron so I was happy for her) Then about 4 months later they had another one and that one I won.. I am thrilled with it. So the old iron stays in the laundry room with the fold down out of the wall ironing board (hate it) and I moved my big ol ironing board and the new iron into my sewing room. I am sooooo happy. Not only a new iron but now I don't have to go to the other end of the house each time I need to press seams on my squares.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
When I left the Marine Corps I promised to never iron again. Was going to use my iron for a door stop. Guess the laughs on me now.
I have a friend who was in the Navy - he still irons his work shirts - with starch - but at least does not expect his wife to do it
Old 03-13-2010, 12:58 PM

You sure we are not married to the same guy?
Old 03-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Several years ago I watched this one post on line by quilt shop owners. In there opinions, go to K-Mart and get a Black and Decker iron. With them plugged in every day for classes at the quilt shop they found dollar for dollar the B and D lasted just as long, if not longer than the expensive models. But it is still a personal choice.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Well I went to Target and bought a Rowenta on sale....he's out of town so he doesn't know how much I spent, right????
my dh freaked out when i bought the top of the line rowenta, not on sale, then we went to home depot where he proceeded to purchase YET ANOTHER DRILL. because the battery is interchangable with other tools, he has yet to purchase. i mean really, he only has 2 hands.....

we have never had another discussion about the cost of my fabric, tools, etc, other than the long arm quilter i keep showing him...so far no go
Old 03-13-2010, 04:24 PM

We are retired Navy. I remember ironing those old uniforms with all the starch. I hated it. I was so happy when hubby made Chief. Later when hubby was Force Master Chief I was asked to give a speech to some new Chiefs Wives. I spoke and afterwards I asked if any of them had any questions. One girl raised her hand and asked how I put those sharp creases down the front of the kaki shirts. I smiled at her and said. You take the uniforms to the cleaners and say " military creases" please.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Both of the ladies I quilt with have the 10 dollar irons. They work just fine. I think it really doesn't matter how much you spend for an iron as long as it does what you want it to do.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

I bought the iron caddy at http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...ria=iron+caddy The iron will not fall off the board even if the cord is tugged or pulled. The ironing board will fall before the iron. They are on sale at a price you won't believe. I bought lots for Christmas gifts for my quilting buddies. You pull them open to fit your iron and it keeps that opening in memory. Then if you get a new iron push or pull the opening bars to fit that one. One will last a lifetime.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Dkm

Thanks I just ordered 5. Thought I would give them to our guild for door prizes.