Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate binding!! >

I hate binding!!

I hate binding!!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 PM

It turned out great. love the blue - it really makes the rosey pink shine!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM

Ironing the fabric to freezer paper, then trimming it to paper width and making sure it has a straight edge to lead with worked for me! I was able to print off a couple labels by copying the first and changing who it was made for and leaving space between the two. I ran a paper copy first to check that it was low enough on the page to leave me room to cut them apart and to sew the label on the back of the quilt. I also put the label far enough in the corner so I could sew two ajoining sides when I put the binding on. Then I only had to sew the other two sides. I did also hem those two sides on the machine before I placed it where I wanted it. I pressed the labels with a pressing cloth also to heat set them. Hope this helps. Try it, you'll like it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM

I personally enjoy the binding, one reason is it's almost done the other is sitting down to hand stitch the back is very relaxing. I do it while watching TV. I bought the Fons and Porter binding tool a couple of weeks ago and used it for the first time this past weekend i was very pleased with how perfect my binding turned out...no guess work at the end. I've only made a few quilts so far so I also keep a copy of how to do binding nearby so I can refer to if need be. Good luck, you'll get it. Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM

Navy_Mom, nobody has answered your question about applying binding without any hand sewing. Eleanor Burns only uses this method. Instead of applying the binding on the front, folding it around to the back and blind stitching it in place, you stitch the binding onto the back (just like you would on the front) and then fold it around and edge stitch with the machine on the front to finish. I often use this method on garments, but the one time I used it on a large quilt, I hated it and ripped the whole finished binding off and did it the old way with the hand tacking. The corners are not difficult to miter...just use your fingers or a pin or two.

Make a small mock-up and try it before tackling a quilt to see if you like it and are are satisfied with the quality of the work.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 PM

i like your insanty remark.we all have to be just a litttle bit insane to do this my dear hubby says .because he hsa seen me set an cut out a many a quilt an then put it all together.a he's a disabled machanic an say he just would'n'thave the pateince for it .but as they say the good lord don't give you more than you can handle.well my son was born with two holes in his heart an has went through three operations an looking for a fourth in the future an he's 21 .
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Take a deep breath and "you can do it" It gets easier each time you bind a quilt. I actually find binding a quilt relaxzing, you can do it while watching TV,etc. But one time I was binding and binding and I was almost done and realized my dogs who had been sitting on the other end of the quilt (had been chewing on the binding) - and I had to re-do that end.... But thats OK, the quilt turned out just find! I just made a label for the quilt that said: Quilted with Love, and stuffed with dog hair!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

That quilt turned out great. I agree with the others that it was worth the effort.

FYI: U-tube also has a nice selection of instructional videos on binding (among other quilting topics)

A gal at work introduced me to the "art of binding by machine." Sew the binding to the back side of the quilt, turn it to the front and use a fancy stitch to sew it down. I have used buttonhole stitch and scallop stitch with a contrasting thread. It really adds a playful character to the binding. Granted, I only use that method for utility quilts and the "better ones" still get the hand stitch.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 PM

Thank you Wendy. I'll try that.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by April454
I personally enjoy the binding, one reason is it's almost done the other is sitting down to hand stitch the back is very relaxing. I do it while watching TV. I bought the Fons and Porter binding tool a couple of weeks ago and used it for the first time this past weekend i was very pleased with how perfect my binding turned out...no guess work at the end. I've only made a few quilts so far so I also keep a copy of how to do binding nearby so I can refer to if need be. Good luck, you'll get it. Remember this is supposed to be fun.
I also have this tool, and I love it. I not only keep the paper directions nearby, I recorded the show that showed how to use it, and I refer to that as well. I can stop it and restart as needed, it's like having them right there teaching you.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by farscapegal
If we lived close I would do it for you. I love putting binding on it is relaxing to me.

Sybil
Same here! My friends think I'm a Weird-O because I enjoy putting on bindings. Glad to know there's more than one of us. Wish I was closer and could help :-)