Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate it!  I hate it!! >

I hate it! I hate it!!

I hate it! I hate it!!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
I just read today on the internet where a really fine free motion quilter said that she had all kinds of trouble with her tension if she dropped her feed dogs. So she left them up but covered them with a piece of a file card with a hole for the needle and said it took care of the tension problems. You might want to try it. All I know is what I read. HA It's a cheap fix if it works and doesn't cost anything but a little of your time if it doesn't.
I've just ordered a straight stitch needle plate, as I'm told that might help too. Will let you know!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 AM

I love playing with fabric and piecing, but am seriously hopeless at the quilting part of it. If I do it by hand, it takes forever and may never get done. If I do it by machine, it's a losing fight...

So, now I piece to my heart's content and send the tops to be finished either by hand (when I have the budget!) or by longarm.

The results are so beautiful and it helps other people make a living from their skills. Skills I just do not have.

It's a win-win situation
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by lclang
I just read today on the internet where a really fine free motion quilter said that she had all kinds of trouble with her tension if she dropped her feed dogs. So she left them up but covered them with a piece of a file card with a hole for the needle and said it took care of the tension problems. You might want to try it. All I know is what I read. HA It's a cheap fix if it works and doesn't cost anything but a little of your time if it doesn't.
I've just tried a practice session with the feed dogs up, and my stitches are much better.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 AM

What's a stright stitch needle plate? I get the drift, but never heard of it.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 AM

hang in there. it does get better. make some fudge, it's cheaper than prozac.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by shamrock
What's a stright stitch needle plate? I get the drift, but never heard of it.
I asked that last week -here are the answers and a brilliant picture!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-126059-1.htm
Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM

Well, I'm still alive and enjoyed just going through all of this thread and reading your comments. I left it alone for a couple of days, then I ripped out the 3 rows that I had in. This is the FWS quilt, it is on point. So I changed my mind from having a stitching line down the side of each cornerstone and just put one through the center, diagonally and vertically. When I finished the verical columns, I pressed each horizontal column, and pinned each side of the stitching line. I worked slower, telling myself it was beautiful, I would love it, put Enya on the radio, and it doesn't look too bad,. Now I can hand quilt in the border triangles. As for the wine idea, I would be afraid to start. We make wine and have a cellar full. (You might never have heard from me again) Thanks for all of your help..
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by shamrock
Well, I'm still alive and enjoyed just going through all of this thread and reading your comments. I left it alone for a couple of days, then I ripped out the 3 rows that I had in. This is the FWS quilt, it is on point. So I changed my mind from having a stitching line down the side of each cornerstone and just put one through the center, diagonally and vertically. When I finished the verical columns, I pressed each horizontal column, and pinned each side of the stitching line. I worked slower, telling myself it was beautiful, I would love it, put Enya on the radio, and it doesn't look too bad,. Now I can hand quilt in the border triangles. As for the wine idea, I would be afraid to start. We make wine and have a cellar full. (You might never have heard from me again) Thanks for all of your help..
Oooh- can I come and quilt at your place?! Glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself and are pleased with your results. I've been making progress too. Last week I stippled a quilt, and the results weren't too bad, and now I'm doing loop-the-loop on a Christmas wall hanging. I'm using very different threads this time, but I've managed to find a tension that works. This is such a breakthrough for me. And I'm enjoying it too!