Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate movers! >

I hate movers!

I hate movers!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:01 AM
cjk

Originally Posted by countryone77
Originally Posted by cjk
I'm not going to back down. I'm filing a claim as soon as I know what all is damaged. I talked to several people and they say we have 6 to 9 months to file a claim. I'm also going to report to the BBB and any other place I can think of. Funny, I checked the BBB before I hired this company and they didn't have any negative reports. But the thing is and the way they get by with it is that one company will book the move and then another company is actually the movers. ggggggrrrrrr I didn't know that until the movers showed up at the door. I intend to report BOTH the booking company and the moving company!
By chance, today I came across an article that talks about movers ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112727/things-movers-wont-tell-you-mainstreet

That article has a link to a Federal government site that helps folks who have various problems with their movers ...

https://www.protectyourmove.gov/

I just finished looking it over and it contains a lot of useful information as well as toll free numbers for getting assistance because of federal laws governing transportation. If I were you, I'd look this over carefully and call to get some help.
Thanks sooo much! I'm reading this very carefully!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 AM

So sorry to hear about all your trobles with the movers. Yes, write down everyhting that was broken or destroyed, along with the value. I just moved too, but we didn't hire any movers since we didn't have lots of things, my nieces and friends helped us move.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

know exactly how you feel, removers lost parts of 5 dinner/tea services, dropped chesterfield sofa and prie dieu,wrecked clocks---3 grandfather-2 wall--3 mantle, lost oxygen cylinder , wrecked victorian mahogany dining table,broke ebony knobs on sideboard and lost shelf to vict wardrobe, etc etc--------------my thoughts are with you;
make a FULL list and also photos of filthy stuff for your claim which must be made in time, you can ask for extn in reasonable circs; good luck.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 AM

Having been in the military and having to deal with movers whenever we've had to change duty station we were pretty lucky, very few things were broken and what was broken was easily and rather inexpensive to replace. One of my fellow NCO's were not quite as lucky. He was being packed up by some Greek movers that were hired by the military to pack and move his belongs to the port to shipped back to the states. Two days after this was done, he and his wife and family were visiting a local street market and lo and behold --- there was the same moving van, packers and --- you guessed it --- all of his household goods being sold to anyone that want to buy them. He reported it to the local Greek police and the military. He was pretty much told nothing could be done about it until he got to his new duty station. When he arrived at his new duty station, the majority of his things were gone. It was horrible!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Last time my son moved his household goods had to go into storage for three weeks while he was waiting for the apartment to be ready. Goods delivered, he signed without counting, etc. and later discovered the box with his t-shirt quilt from high school shirts was missing (several hooded jackets also in the box.)

The moving company was notified and they (supposedly) searched the warehouse, coming up with nothing. Now this is a quilt with shirts with his name on them....what would anyone else want with it if delivered with their goods? You think it would show up somewhere!!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Sounds like you got one of those moving companies that basically hold you goods hostage to insure you'll be willing to pay double to get them. Heed the advice about complaining & pictures.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 AM

Yeah. On one of our moves, the inebriated woman broke my pedestal dining table trying to take it apart even after I told her repeatedly that it had been wood-glued when assembled.
Supervisor came out to the house and said we'd get our money back on it.
But if I wanted the money instead of the furniture, I could have sold everything to begin with and bought all over again at destination.
No telling what you are going to get with movers.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:34 PM

When I moved up here almost 18 yrs ago, my daughter helped (?) me pack, but sent up bags of garbage, and threw out what I wanted to keep...(mistake?) and also kept many books, wooden plates,etc.. that she wanted... 2 young men from the moving company (I had a 14 rm house) had to look at all the toys, (and play with some) that my husband had in his den... really annoying. Believe me, I will NEVER move again.. (I'm 81 now..) I am a collector (not a hoarder) to meke up for the void in my life that has to be filled??? I also get yarn & material, to knit,crochet & sew for the NICU ... so I do get rid of a lot of the things I have here...