Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have 2 issues >
  • I have 2 issues

• I have 2 issues

Old 04-20-2021, 06:25 PM

Default I have 2 issues

My first issue is I made a large throw and when it was washed it shrunk up big time. Should I be using a broadcloth instead of Cotton?

issue 2. Why do my rag quilt keep coming g up uneven?
    Old 04-20-2021, 06:47 PM

Wecome!

I always lose a few inches in quilting and a couple more in laundering - but I like the crinkly, old-fashioned look I get from that shrinkage.

Some people prefer a smoother look, so they pre-wash and dry the fabrics to shrink them up before they piece their quilts.

A cotton batting will shrink a little, but you can shrink some batts, too. Soak in hot water, drain, dry flat. Some batts can be dried in the dryer.

Broadcloth shrinks almost as much if it's pure cotton - poly-cotton broadcloth doesn't shrink much, it wears well and colors don't fade much in laundering.

I have no idea about the rag quilt - I've never made one.
    Old 04-20-2021, 08:09 PM
    Power Poster

Do you mean your rag quilt shrunk? Cotton flannel can shrink a lot.
    Old 04-21-2021, 03:29 AM

I always wash all my fabric before using it that way it's already shrunk and my projects turn out the size I intended them to be.
    Old 04-21-2021, 03:42 AM

So far, I've not encountered a fabric that shrinks evenly on both sides. If I start with a 10" square, it will end up 9.5" x 9.25". that is a big reason I prewash everything.

Backing can also shrink a lot. I can start out with 108" backing and after washing it's less than 104". Sometimes closer to 100".
    Old 04-21-2021, 04:07 AM

I'm with polyparrot, I don't prewash before. I don't understand what you're saying about the rag quilt.
    Old 04-21-2021, 05:04 AM
    Power Poster

I steam iron my fabric before cutting, it shrinks and I can tell if it will bleed. If I want to pre shrink cotton batting, I spray it with water and put in dryer. No need to go to all the hassle of washing a big batting.
    Old 04-21-2021, 07:15 AM

i don't usually prewash fabrics except if I am unsure of the quality of fabric. Some brands shrink just a little, others a lot. Also, It is totally normal that you will loss some inches when you are done quilting it, also the first time you wash it. I have kept a notebook listing the size of my quilt before quilting, after quilting, and again after the first washing. I also list the type of batting and thread used. This way, I can reference back to how much shrinkage to expect and will make queen a king sized quilts bigger so I end up with a quilt of the desired size. Also flannel seems to shrink more then regular cotton but again, there is a large difference in flannels too. For example Moda flannel does not shrink nearly as much as the bargin flannel I picked up a JoAnn's. So when working with flannels, I will wash them first if I do not know where they came from. Unless of course I am making a rag quilt, then I don't because unwashed flannel frays better after you wash the finished quilt.
    Old 04-21-2021, 08:31 AM

I think we need more information.
    Are both questions about one quilt, or are these 2 different quilts we're talking about?
    Is your rag quilt made of quilting cotton or flannel?

If you are in the camp of not liking your quilts to have that crinkly shrunken look, then prewash all your fabrics before you make the quilt, use a poly batting, and after the quilt is finished, wash in cold and dry on an air fluff setting or on a clothesline.

I'm with pocoellie, I don't really understand the question about the rag quilt.
    Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 AM

As far as shrinkage goes, I always pre wash all my fabric. Shrinkage will happen there.Once almost dry, I then iron and starch my fabric before cutting. I iron blocks and pieces as I sew. I keep everything lined up and straight. Entire top is ironed and secured before I sandwich. When I quilt, I know that I will lose a bit all around, so I factor that into the border/block if not using a border. Once quilting is done, quilt is trimmed and binding is on, I wash again. I've never had any more noticeable shrinkage when washing finished quilts. Sorry, no advice on the rag quilt, as I do not make them, and am not familiar with the process.