Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I have also fallen in love with applique...to discover I have pronounced it wrong :)

I have also fallen in love with applique...to discover I have pronounced it wrong :)

I was telling someone how I have been dying to try applique (app-liqe) and have been printing and drawing templates. She was like, I dont think I heard of applique. So I explained it. She said, very nicely, "Oh I would probably pronounce it app-li-qay." We had a good laugh!

very cute. You don't want to know how I thought facade was pronounced when I was younger ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Don't feel bad, I did the exact same thing!! Some of those French words just don't sound like they are spelled...

I remember the teacher writing on the board and pronouncing the word 'determine' when I was in about 3rd grade. What a revelation - I had never pronounced the word out loud, but when I read it I pronounced it in my head as 'dee-ter-mine'. I knew what it meant (from the context), just not how to pronounce it. I used to have trouble with 'bargello' - soft g or hard g? Okay, now I know, but it was hard to remember for quite a while.

My mom used to say "horsey-doovers" for hors d'ouvres. My sister never realized that my mother was kidding. She thought that was the true pronunciation . Made for a humorous round while playing the Password game...

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    very cute. You don't want to know how I thought facade was pronounced when I was younger ;-)
    And when I was younger and saw my first "Antiques" sign, I pronounced it "antie cues"
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    as long as it's not ap pleee kay!!
    controversy is pronounced in my European detective shows with the accent on the second syllable. It took me a minute to get that one straight in my head.

Blog Entries
    I say appla kay and have not intention to changing how I say it in the future. LOL.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I say appla kay and have not intention to changing how I say it in the future. LOL.
    That's how I pronounce it, also. I'm from New England so I pronounce things differently than other areas of the country...lol!
    ~~Cathy~~

You all have me giggling here - thanks for the laughs.

I imagine all of us have some word or another wrong. I love words and definitions and like to get them right. But learned a number of years ago I have been pronouncing album Al-Blum instead od Al-Bum. How did I get that wrong? There is no second L. At least yours was a mistake in a foreign word spelling.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

My daughters best friend in high school was a straight A student and always had her nose in a book reading. One morning she was reading the contents on the back of the cereal box. She asked her Dad, "What is deg er med wheat? I've never heard of that. Her dad turned the cereal box read it and with as straight a face as he could, looked at her and said, "that word is degermed." We still have a good laugh over it.

Blog Entries
    Allways has and allways will be...al-u-miny-e-um for me

My DD (who is a lawyer, so it's not like she's never been exposed to words before) doesn't mispronounce words (that's me... I say "pilluh" for "pillow" & get nothing but grief! I also say "may-shur" for "measure") but she gets "macrame" & "macabre" confused... it's pretty funny!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I love applique however you pronounce it!

Power Poster
    celtic and celtic - I did look it up in the dictionary - and it seems that both seltic and keltic are 'legitimate' ways to say the word

I have a friend who pronounces mammogram as mammy-o-gram!

When I was younger I pronounced "subtle" as "sub-tull". I learned the word from reading and didn't know it was the same word as "suttle" that I heard all the time! LOL

Blog Entries
    One thing I made sure my kids never did was to pronounce day as de when saying the days of the week. It's MonDAY not MonDee, and so forth.
    Got fabric?

I thought I was the only one. I was talking to my Mom about some app-liqe I was working on. My Mom was so confused about what I was doing. After I showed her she thought it was so funny! Applique not app-liqe.

Blog Entries
    My niece was reading the Ugly Duckling book when her mom asked what she was reading she replied I"m reading the You lee duckling

Blog Entries
    I still have a hard time when I see the word 'subtle' in print. I know it is pronounced 'su tle', but I still try to pronounce it 'sub-tle'.

Blog Entries
    I also hear people pronounce wash with an R in it. 'Warshing'

Cabbagepatchkidd, New England or not I pronounce it appla-kay also and I am from....Michigan. We all know what it means but can we all applique after this long discussion? Tee-Hee!
    Last edited by WMUTeach; 08-10-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    My DH, when he was younger, was helping his dad load his stock onto his Jewel-T truck. He told his mom he couldn't find those darn "per-call-lee" bedsheets anywhere! Turns out they were "percale" (per-cale) sheets! 40 years later...we still tease him about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast