Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 AM

Let's see, my mom was quilting before I was born and stopped when I was in 3rd grade because she didn't have time, But I think I was in first or second grade when I was playing with some of her extra squares and hst and asked her if she could sew them into a doll quilt. She told me I could do it if I wanted and gave me a needle and thread. I don't think I ever finished it, I got about half of it done. But I started cross stitch in 10th grade with pillowcases that I found when cleaning out my grandma's closet. Then I got bored and started quilting right before senior year. It's been a little over a year now that I've been quilting, but I also know how to knit and crochet, but I don't do much of that anymore. I started a granny square afghan and stopped because I ran out of yarn. I haven't run out of material yet though!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:11 AM

I was 10 and my Grandma died and left an old treadle sewing machine. I really loved this Grandma so I started trying to sew. I enjoyed reading the instructions and trying to make something from a square of cloth. I was proud of myself that I could "thread" a shuttle and get it to work. That was 50+ years ago and I am still at it... best of all I love making quilts... and still remember my Grandma's laugh... she was so joyous.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM

I started sewing in elementary school. I am one of 7 and if I wanted to have a new skirt or what ever I made it. That was how it was back 55 years ago...Still sew,quilt and I do other crafts...