Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I Have Lots of Blocks - New Ideas for Them

I Have Lots of Blocks - New Ideas for Them

Hi all,
    I have lots of extra blocks from some bees I did, and yesterday many of you were nice enough to explain some simple bag patterns to me. I would love some other ideas for what to do with these blocks? Most are 12 inch blocks, stars, etc. I don't want to make a quilt right now, I don't feel like doing the FMQing, and can't afford to have it quilted, but besides from table runners and placemats, do any of you have some ideas? I have made fabric journals, they are fun, so I was hoping for more ideas like that.

Thanks in advance!!
    nancy
    Nancy Lee

A few idea's ....

You can put a back on it (birthing method) and make it into a wall hanging.
    You can make a quilt and instead of quilting it, tie it.
    Do you need a drape to cover a closet ... perhaps in your sewing room? Put them all together and either put rings on the top or make a sleeve out of some border fabric.
    Frame the blocks and hang them on the wall.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Oh, great ideas!! I can actually use a shower curtain!! Maybe I can use it for that,
    Nancy
    Nancy Lee

Blog Entries
    You could send them to me! Hee hee! What about making an apron? Just the kind that go around your waist? Don't forget mug rugs! Pot holders, scissor holders, curling iron holders, mini gift bags, or you can sew some together, back with an old towel put a few zig zag ties in it and you have a cute bath rug!

I'm not sure I have any ideas beyond what have been mentioned above.

While you said you don't feel like doing FMQing ... what about doing a QAYG and just do it with line quilting and skip the FMQ?

Maybe I do ...
    * window curtains
    * bed runners
    * table toppers
    * lap quilts, for people in wheelchairs (check with the end user or the facility, re requirements before making them. Generally, they are table topper size.)
    * wall hangings
    * or you could go all out and make yourself a skirt, housecoat, etc!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 08-20-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    You could cover books, diaries etc. make into scrap holders. Aprons.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Thanks! I am saving this thread! Great ideas! I never thought if many of them!
    Nancy
    Nancy Lee

Blog Entries
    Decupage (sp?) Them to wood furniture for a new look to night stands, bookshelves, etc....

Blog Entries
    Add a border and make a pillow out of it.

Blog Entries
    I'm sewing some old squares together and will turn them into bags to take to the grocery. I may have to add material for the sides and bottom, but it's better than having the blocks continue to follow me around! LOL
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

This probably defeats the purpose of your question, but how about using them as quilt labels for other quilts? I agree with the mug rug idea...great gifts too!
    ~Kala

Blog Entries
    This lady has been posting ideas of what you could do with orphan blocks.
    http://www.patchworkposse.com/
    Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

I love to make pot holders as gifts. They are easy and very decorative. Mug Rugs are also nice. Or, you could put them on the QB under items to sell and maybe some of the QB members would love to make a quilt out of them.

This year Patchwork Posse has a "52 quilt block pick up" to do just what you are asking about. She has some great ideas and many weeks yet to go in the year.
    http://www.patchworkposse.com/50-eas...-quilt-blocks/

I have to say, mug rugs are nice and I use them myself but some how a 12" block is a little large for a mug rug I would think. I like the idea of a shower curtain.

Do a row by row quilt using different blocks for each row. Use them as a focus block in a pillow or bag. Make covers for e-readers, cell phones, laptops, cameras, etc. Make potholders, trivets, or borders on dishtowels (for small blocks).
    Add a row on a jellyroll quilt at the top and/or bottom.

pillows are a great use for them. if you make your own folders for applique ect. they would be great for the cover. or if you wanted to make one for a friends quilty gift. machine cover.
    http://ncfabricjunkie.blogspot.com

How about using them to make a patchwork jacket, using a sweatshirt as the base? This could also be done using a regular clothing pattern. If you have blocks for children, you could make a great gift for the grandchildren. My granddaughters love anything I make for them and the brighter the item is, the more they prize it.

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    I'm sewing some old squares together and will turn them into bags to take to the grocery. I may have to add material for the sides and bottom, but it's better than having the blocks continue to follow me around! LOL
    Love this idea, can always use grocery bags, plus gotta remember your teabag quote.

One more suggestion:

I do not know what to call it but how about the thing you use to keep track of items when you're in bed? Part of it is sewn with pockets and another part tucks under the bed so it will stay in place. The pocket part hangs down the side of the bed to hold the stuff.

My mind is going. Did someone suggest making a bag to hang off a walker? Or one to hang off a wheel chair? I've seen rather elaborate ones that functioned like purses.

I am keeping track of this thread too. Great ideas. Thanks.

Pat

Cover ups for the sofa and arm chairs, lots of Christmas ideas, go online and look at etsy to see what is going in small items. My favorite I an iron cover

You could sew them together and make a skirt or vest or both or even a patch work blouse or dress. There are always things to do with leftover fabrics and squares How about putting backing in for doll blankets and donating to a local hospital. Anyway good luck.

Bed runners and matching pillow cases, QAYG technique.

If you want to make quilts with a variety of blocks, sizes, etc. there is a great book SMASHING SETS by Margaret J. Miller. I don't know if it is still in print or if she has other books.
    Carolyn

I've been thinking about making a new square dance skirt and vest and a vest for my husband, also. What a good place to use some of the left over squares I have in boxes in my closet!
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast