Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have no idea what I'm doing, Frankenstein set up >

I have no idea what I'm doing, Frankenstein set up

I have no idea what I'm doing, Frankenstein set up

Old 11-14-2013, 01:25 PM

Default I have no idea what I'm doing, Frankenstein set up

I will try to be brief. I am completely self taught, so forgive me if I'm using incorrect terms. I have pieced a few tops on my hand me down singer. I do a decent job. I have hand pieced before. My one quilt I have finished and gave away was machine pieced and hand quilted. My arthritis is advancing and my fingers are starting to go wonky. I decided I want to machine quilt my WIPs and future tops.

Bought a free motion foot for my old singer. I couldn't do it in throat space it has with the size quilts I tend to end up with lol.

I bought a used next generation grace quilting frame ($250) to put my singer on. Again, the throat space was not correct and I could not get a speed control unit for it. So there was no easy way to operate the machine and table together. The frame sat for 6 months, the cats love it.

I found a gently used babylock BLQP ($100). I am picking it up this weekend. From what I understand this is the style machine I need for this frame. Am I correct? I was told to get the Viking husqvarna mega quilter or janome 1600, but I cannot afford the ones I have found.

So, if this machine is ok for this frame; is there anything else I need to buy? I know I need to order a new speed control. The one I got with the frame is not compatible. It looks like I can get one for about $80 from grace co.

I will also be looking into new bungees? I am going to try to make my own leaders?
Are stitch regulators necessary? From what I gather no, but I will need to practice?
I read a lot of info on various forums and watch a lot of YouTube videos, but it all seems like a foreign language to me.

The ladies a the local babylock dealer are not to friendly, especially since I am not buying a machine from them. I offered to pay for lessons, but was told they are for machine customers only.

Would a quilt guild or club be an appropriate place to reach out for help at, for these issues? I am willing to pay for lessons, and someone to teach me how to use my frankenmonster. I just don't know where to go.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Shannon
Old 11-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Make sure the machine has a wide throat otherwise you will be limited to very small quilts and small designs and will take forever to do a quilt. You can only roll up a small amount of the quilt with a short throat. Mine is 9 inches and I feel its too small.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM

If you check with your local quilt shop, they may be able to guide you in the right direction, or even have a Long Arm quilter on site who would give lessons.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 PM

I applaud your determination. Some quilt clubs/guilds are better than others. I happen to have found one where some of the members will go WAY out of their way to teach. Look for someone like that. And if you will be looking for practice quilts, many clubs make philanthropy quilts, and you'd probably be overwhelmed with small quilts that will be going to an age group that couldn't care less if one stitch is longer than another. Have Fun!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM

I would check to see if there is a local quilt guild-/ local fabric shop, etc.. In your area. And maybe fill them in on, your situation. Tell them you will be willing to pay for help. I would say who ever you talk to, will decline payment. I know, I would be willing to help you also-FREE. I dont know, if I will be of any help. If you have a ???., I'll try to help you. Don-isewman
Old 11-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I didn't think to go the LQS that was not a babylock dealer lol. That shop is much more friendly.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:22 PM

My first set up was a grace frame and a megaquilter with 9 inch throat. There are several yahoo groups for people with these type set ups and I found this one very helpful though I haven't used it in the last few years since I bought a longarm http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/P...ter/info?tab=s

I didn't have a stitch regular and after a little stitching practice did just fine. You are limited in space because as the quilt rolls up it takes space inside the throat area.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:30 AM

I have a BLQP that I used on a grace frame with a stitch regulator. I had trouble with the tension making "eyelahes" on the back. I took it down and am using my new babylock crescendo for quilting. Maybe next year will put frame back up if a smaller Baileys will fit on the frame (and if I can afford it).
Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I have a BLQP that I used on a grace frame with a stitch regulator. I had trouble with the tension making "eyelahes" on the back. I took it down and am using my new babylock crescendo for quilting. Maybe next year will put frame back up if a smaller Baileys will fit on the frame (and if I can afford it).
Eyelashes occur when you move the machine too fast for it's stitching speed, especially on curves. They can also occur if the quilt sandwich is too tight on the rollers. The entire thing needs to be smooth and level, but a bit loose. You should be able to poke a finger up from underneath the quilt sandwich and grab the end of that finger, quilt and all, from your other hand above. Try again. I think you'll have success.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Wow!!! You are all amazing! Thank you for those great tips. I'm excited to see I'm not the only one with my set up as well! I know the throat space will be small, but I'm hoping if I like it and I am good enough, someday I will upgrade