Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt of Frankenstein?

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Lightbulb Quilt of Frankenstein?

You know how it is~ it's the middle of the night and you can't sleep... and out of nowhere, this fantastic idea pops into your head!

It just occurred to me that since I'm very early in my quilting career, it might be kind of fun to make an extra block from each quilt, and save them until I have enough to make a quilt for myself. I've only pieced two so far, and I have plenty of scraps. It would end up a memory quilt for me to enjoy when I'm old and gray (hey, wait, I'm practically there now, I'd better get hustling!).

I know what you're thinking... not a bad idea. But wait... my first quilt was a rainbow i spy, the second a citron-and-gray modern quilt, and coming up next is a Norwegian flag quilt in red, white, and blue. Now do you see why I'm asking?? And I'm praying there will be some baby quilts in there before too long.

So, am I nuts? Will this end up the world's ugliest quilt? Will future quilt historians shudder in horror? Or whoever has to deal with my mess of scraps if I die before it's finished?

In the light of morning, this might seem like a truly bad idea, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

I don't think it would be ugly. It would just show a lot of different ways to create with fabric. I too get some "bright ideas" late at night right before I drop off to sleep. Sure wish there was a way to record what my brain sees when I'm sleeping. haha

Blog Entries
    I cut 2 1/2" squares from every fabric that I put into a quilt. I will one day put together a quilt that will tell a story of all the quilts I have made. I'm planning on doing it just like a postage stamp quilt but with the 2 1/2" squares.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Just think of it as a quilting montage.....no reason why it shouldn't work. Sometimes we need to follow through on those bright ideas. Artists have been doing it for centuries

Blog Entries
    Why wouldnt it work? Wish i thought of it! Ive been trying to cut 1 2 1\2 strip from every fabric i use lately. hope to do something with them later on!
    Why couldnt you put them together like those sampler quilts where your learning a new technique each square?!

I think it will be a great memory quilt for you. I make a string block from fabrics I used for each quilt I've made. I embroider the name of the quilt on the center strip. Eventually I'll make a memory quilt for myself so I can remember each quilt I've made.

Blog Entries
    just add black and it's all good...some how black makes everything look good

Blog Entries
    We shall call it "The Quilt of Many Colors!" Has anyone else heard of Dolly Parton's song or book Coat of Many Colors? My younger dd just referenced that book yesterday. One of her favorites.

I think it sounds like a good idea. It may look a bit busy, but I'm sure it will be beautiful. Good luck!
    Go forth and sew!

I wish I had done that through the years. I do have photos of most of my quilts, and a notebook with little fabric samples from the early years, but some of the photos are on 35mm slides, some are 120 format and the latest ones are digital. Your idea of keeping a block of each quilt is a good one and you will be so thankful in years to come.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

i think it would be neat. go for it

I actually love that idea as a memory quilt for you...no matter how "ugly" it will be super special and I'm sure you'll figure out a way to get it all to work together.
    If you don't try, you can never do.

I have a pp dbl wedding ring in process. It is scrappy and pieces of each item i sew are used. Someday when the quilt is completed it will have memories of all the quilts I have made. I just throw a scrap in the dwr box and add when I feel like working on it.

#1 - You're a quilter.
    #2 - There will be plenty more blocks you will be making. I don't know of a single person who only made 1 quilt.
    #3 - Who said you would make only 1 quilt from these blocks?
    #4 - Sounds like fun to me.
    #5 - If it gets to much, you can make smaller sized blocks.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I think it would be great! And good you thought of now in the begining. I like the idea of adding black or even white. You could put sashing in to break it up and\or use some negative space. You might have to with different size blocks anyway. What a great keepsake it will be. Wish I had thought of it years ago.

Blog Entries
    Choose your favorite colors and make each extra block in them as a memory of the quilts you have made.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    I have a pp dbl wedding ring in process. It is scrappy and pieces of each item i sew are used. Someday when the quilt is completed it will have memories of all the quilts I have made. I just throw a scrap in the dwr box and add when I feel like working on it.

This is a nice idea. I like!
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I cut 2 1/2" squares from every fabric that I put into a quilt. I will one day put together a quilt that will tell a story of all the quilts I have made. I'm planning on doing it just like a postage stamp quilt but with the 2 1/2" squares.
    I like that idea and since I'm just getting started, still have chance to do it.....but I'll be 80 in June so better start hustling too! Just thought.....the baby quilt I just finished....nothing left of one fabric....but it's still a good idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    I think it will be a great memory quilt for you. I make a string block from fabrics I used for each quilt I've made. I embroider the name of the quilt on the center strip. Eventually I'll make a memory quilt for myself so I can remember each quilt I've made.
    Hey! Like this idea too! Good way to get started on learning to do string blocks.

I have most of the patterns of the quilts that I have made. I don't have many extra squares of the quilts, but I think that a random type of quilt would be pretty.

All of your blocks will not end up the same size so if you make wonky blocks with all the sashing the same color, it will unify the quilt. You may end up with several quilts and then you could also group by color, whimsy etc. it's a great idea!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

It sounds like a great idea to me! I might need to copy you!
    Why do I keep trying to find the "like" button?

Viking Husqvarna 950 S; Bernina 1150 MDA

I like the idea. I think you should do it, and, I must admit, now you have me thinking about doing the same thing.

I think it's a fantastic idea!! What a great way to remember all the quilts you have created! Thank you for sharing your 'Frankenstein Quilt' idea! lol
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Thanks for the encouragement! But I have to say , I LOVE the string block idea! This way I don't have to recreate the block, just use the fabrics. And the black sashing would be fabulous. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

I would go for it! You might like to do it as a QAYG and use black sashing to put the blocks together. It will look great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast