Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a problem...Do you have an answer??? >

I have a problem...Do you have an answer???

I have a problem...Do you have an answer???

Old 04-07-2013, 01:20 PM

There is a product called Citra-Solve that dissolves gummy,gluey, sticky stuff. i have used it on fabric and it didn't hurt or fade it.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Try Drafting tape. I use it to mount photos. It's like masking tape, but no residue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drafting_tape
Old 04-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

That was my thought although it would change the design of the quilt. Good luck with the outcome.

Originally Posted by patticriss View Post
I would probably just snowball the corners.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM

I have both Goo Be Gone, and Undu. I would try the UnDu first. I don't know if you remember seeing an add with a sticker on a piece of toilet paper. They sprayed it on the toilet paper and the sticker came off without breaking the toilet paper! It says Use on Paper, glass, plastic, walls, most clothing, Finished leather, vinyl, upjholstery, carpet, wood furniture, and more--then it says it might harm unfinished leather, or suede. I think I got it at Michaels in the scrapbooking area.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by angelmama22 View Post
I attended a raw edge applique class about 4 years ago. Worked on and completed 12 blocks - 10 X 16 - quite labor intensive. I laid out the blocks in the sequence I needed for the quilt and put a small piece of masking tape with numbers in corner of each block to keep them in order. Got distracted, put the project away in the UFO box. Yesterday I got it out to finally finish up. When I took off the masking tape, it left a residue on the blocks. HELP! Does anyone have any suggestions for removing this residue? Shrinkage won't be a problem because I pre-shrink ALL the fabric I use. All suggestions for removing the residue will be appreciated!
I guess you know now that masking tape is a not the stuff to use on fabric-------or much of anything else. Next time buy some painter's tape. It doesn't stick real tight, but it's great to use on fabric.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 AM

I read somewhere that WD40 was good for removing tape residue from fabric. However I would certainly try it on a separte piece to see if it was going to cause a stain or not.. They claimed it wouldn't, but I would have to try it first.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 AM

Lighter fluid takes residue of everything much better than goo-gone. My Father used this since "forever". It takes residue off fabric (he used it on his silk ties). I use it on fabric, glass, cardboard, slick paper etc. Of course, like everything you haven't used before I would try it on some sabric first "just to be sure". Good luck.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 AM

I never use masking tape. I use painters tape.Lighter fuild should work.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Again, thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! So far I have tried rubbing alcohol which just removed the top layer of the residue. Then I tried nail polish remover which removed another layer or two. I washed the area with mild soap after trying both of these. I can still feel a "sticky" area when I put my finger on the residue area, so will have to keep trying some of the other suggestions. This stuff is really embedded in the fibers of the cotton. What a learning curve -- will never use masking tape again. I now have a set of "pin on" numbers and letters to use when keeping track of block arrangements (you can get them at Joann's). I'm off to the store to find another product to try, and I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for the suggestion of snowballing the corners, but that just would not work in this situation as the background with the residue morphs in the side setting pieces that become a part of the quilt. If I ever get this quilt finished, I will post a picture.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM

No quick answer to that but suggest next time you elmer glue little number slips on or pin