Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt. >

I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt.

I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:43 AM

I believe that a charm quilt uses no duplicates. But a regular quilt can have dups. I'm making a 2" postage stamp quilt; I started it months ago; so, it is a work in progress. I wanted it to be a charm one, but there is no way. So, there will be a few duplicates. The squares are so small, I'm sure they won't be noticable. I've traded with several people; still need quite a way to go....
Old 09-16-2011, 02:52 AM

I'd definitely strip piece.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:02 AM

I thought "postage stamp" referred to the shape and size of the pieces. I talked with a lady 2 weeks ago and her grandmother had made one of 1 1/2" by 1" rectangles. Most stamps aren't squares anyway!
When I made mine I strip pieced it. It isn't hard to match fabrics but the overall look is great.
kathyd
Old 09-16-2011, 03:09 AM

I won't tell...and besides as quilters we make up our own rules.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:10 AM

The postage stamp quilts made as pictures have duplicates. Often done on the fusible grid. Fantastic way to make a cross stitch pattern into a quilt!!

Originally Posted by Crafty1
It's your quilt so who would know anyways! There are lots of PS quilts made with duplicates, so it's up to you. The one I made I chose not to have duplicates, but the next I'm working on will have duplicates :) Have fun!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 AM

I have been cutting 2" squares for postage stamp and I will have many duplicates. It is my quilt!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Your quilt, your fabric, your choice. I don't think anyone is going to sit there and try to find duplicates. If they do, beat them whith your biggest ruler!
If they do, they are obviously mentally unstable and should be taken to the nearest mental health facility~ lol
Old 09-16-2011, 03:35 AM

I like the idea of using different bits of the same fabric, scattered around the quilt. For me, The 1" squares sound difficult to keep lined up, I wonder if accuquilt has a 1.5" square die, would make cutting simple, laying out scraps and cutting.

Can you tell me what is a "leader and ender" quilt. I have read it on this site before, but never asked.

Originally Posted by dublb
I have started collecting fabrics for my Postage Stamp. I know that you're not supposed to duplicate any fabrics but( :wink: ) some of my scraps have so many different looks that once they are cut into 1 1/2" squares you would never know that they were from the same fabric. Is that acceptable ???

I think this will be my "leader & ender" quilt.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:39 AM

A postage stamp quilt may be a charm quilt--a quilt in which each patch is a unique fabric. However, a postage stamp quilt, by definition is a quilt made of tiny pieces and isn't defined by pattern or fabric choices.

Therefore you can have a postage stamp quilt or a postage stamp (Aaaaagh! the pieces! the pieces!)charm quilt, as you choose.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 AM

Dublb....you don't know what you are starting!!!! I started mine over two years ago, and still going. I have them in 5"x5" sqs.(25 pieces),stacked in containers. Don't know if I should put shushing around each one or just sew them all together. Each piece has been hand-sewn together. Makes a great on going project to take on trips or waiting time.
Good Luck...and yes, I agree...no one will know if you cut out a different section from the same material....but us!!!!