Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I have a question, or maybe it is a poll?

I want to know if anyone has ever quilted to a mood. Happy, sad, excited, down, what ever it may be that you were feeling. Does your work reflect it?

If you have pictures of work that you did I would appreciate it if you posted it with your response.

I had a thought while putting together pieces tonight for the next block in my quilt, you may have been following my progress the last couple of days. I posted pictures to it last night again.

Blog Entries
    Not when I'm quilting, but it does make a difference when I'm fabric shopping. If I'm in a funky mood while I'm shopping, I either can't decide, or I buy something I'm not all that thrilled with.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Not when I'm quilting, but it does make a difference when I'm fabric shopping. If I'm in a funky mood while I'm shopping, I either can't decide, or I buy something I'm not all that thrilled with.
    This is about the same for me. When I make a quilt it usually stretches over such a time period that doesn't really allow for emotion to take a roll.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the making, but if I am designing a quilt in a bad mood, it will reflect t. Good thing I don't get in one very often and when I do, I prefer to take it out on DH rather than do any designing. I much prefer to design happy/whimsical, etc. when I'm happy. And sorry...I don't have any pics..I've given all of them away..

Thank you for answering. And I hope more do even if it is to say the same thing.

PS Katier, if you need a foster home for that fabric let me know, I always have room for more.

When I make a quilt, it's always for someone specific. When I buy fabric and decide on pattern, it's always with their personalities I keep in mind. Interesting thought, though.....I could start my own quilt that I would work on only when I'm stressed, or one when I'm feeling really good. It would be interesting to see how those would pan out.

I have to be careful when hand quilting, if I am stressed, my stitches will get to tight and sometimes even too small, so I have to make myself relax when i pick up that needle. :D

Ninnie

I tend to make bright cheerful quilts in the winter when it is gloomy outside.

If I'm unhappy I don't quilt. It just doesn't work. I am influenced by my mood when I go to the fabric store. Looking through my stash I can tell what my mood was just by looking at the fabrics.

I've noticed that mine will reflect seasonal colors. Like when I have Spring Fever I almost want something floral.
    Or now I picking out alot of browns and earthy tones towards fall.
    I think I see enough real winter that I don't often pick out fabrics that reflect winter, but I do pick out cool colors.

I am absolutely at the mercy of my moods, plus I have some health problems that figure into the equation. I neither quilt nor go shopping when I feel bad physically or mentally, because then it becomes an unpleasant chore and I'm more vulnerable to making horrible mistakes. BUT, when I'm in the mood to quilt, it is such a great creative outlet. Also, I have at least 3 quilt projects going all at once, in various rooms of the house, so that I can piece, hand quilt, machine quilt, machine embroider or do applique, depending on what I feel like doing. It's not that I have a short attention span, but I have a real picky one!

Banned
    when my mood turns sour i always put aside the quilt i'm working on and make a handbag.

that always cheers me right up and i get back to working on the quilt the next day.

Blog Entries
    My sewing room improves any bad mood drastically, however, when I am in a bad mood, I do not quilt. I sort and pet my fabric, look for patterns, and do anything that I won't have to redo later. I've forced myself through some bad sewing times and the results were less than stellar. So I've learned not to cut or sew when I'm stressed, in a hurry, or upset.

I do notice a difference in the fabrics I pick depending on my mood.