Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a question >

I have a question

I have a question

Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 PM

You don't have to worry about the accurate cutting of the strips if you tend to have trouble. The bargellos and colourwash quilts don't twist because the jelly rolls are cut accurately. My only gripe is that they are very expensive in my neck of the woods $50-$99 for each roll.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SWChick
As a newbie I look at these first when in a store but I haven't found a line that I like. I lov batiks but haven't found any of themin thes desert cuts that pull me. I know from what I have read here that I im not into the more normal lines. I really am not a fan of moda.
Other companies make the jelly rolls - I do like the Hoffman ones and agree with you about Moda.However, the world would be uninteresting if we all liked the same gear.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 AM

I have bought a couple of fq's when I needed just a little of a colour not in my stash, and nothing else was on sale. But generally I will buy lots of yardage when it's on sale (or just what I need if I absolutely have to have something that's not on sale, for the current project). The precuts are much more expensive than yardage for the most part.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 AM

I have never bought a jelly roll but I LOVE fat quarters and charm packs. This is mostly because i am somewhat of a "fabric collector" and I like scrappy quilts. If I fall in love with a fabric but don't have anything specific in mind for it, I buy a FQ or a regular quarter, just to have it. Then later I'll use it in a scrappy or two. If there is a whole line that just does it for me, but I don't have anything specific in mind or the money to buy a FQ of each fabric, I will get a charm pack. That way, I have some of each fabric, even if it is just a little bit.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM

I have never used them. I always thought I would need more fabric than they have in them.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM

I have never used them. I always thought I would need more fabric than they have in them.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM

I like to use Jelly rolls,and layer cakes. They are fun to use on a quick project. Grreat to do when your needing a change and almost instant gradification. You can make up a project from start to finish in a day. And there are so many neat patterns for them.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
RST

I think they're fun, and a very reasonable way to acquire a collection of coordinating fabrics. There's no law that says you have to use all the pieces from a jelly roll or charm pack all together in one project. You can mix and match with other things from your stash, supplement with solids, mix it up with prints from a different collection.

There's nothing inherently less traditional about quilting with pre-cuts. They lend themselves very well to a great many traditional designs and techniques.

Not everyone has a lot of time available to enjoy their hobbie. IF using precuts gets someone through the stage in the process that is a sticking point for them enjoying and completing a quilt, then it's a good innovation for them.

As far as cost, that issue has been hashed out at length in earlier threads here, but when it comes right down to it, if you want small quantities of all the fabrics in a line, you will be hard pressed to purchase them as separate cuts for an equal price, once you factor in the losses you take from crooked cuts.

RST
Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 AM

Guess I am guilty of dragging my feet about "the latest thing" too. Think that I would buy one of those collections when I make another scrappy quilt. Seems it would be a good way to get variety without having to buy lots of extra yardage.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 AM

Even though those cuts of fabric are pretty..I don't buy them. I always buy yardage, I just think they are a waste of money. I too am a traditional quilter and love the process of choosing, cutting, sewing and quilting.
I think also, that I have an advantage because I am near Lancaster PA. I have access to huge choices and great prices.
Peace and Blessings