Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a serious quilt question..... >

I have a serious quilt question.....

I have a serious quilt question.....

Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Default I have a serious quilt question.....

[TABLE="align: left"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 1%"]
[/TD]
[TD]Has anyone had a quilt to make that wedding guests signed quilt 4" x 4" squares and they signed to the edges. The squares are NOT square!!! Is there any ideas out there for put these blocks on another quilt square that would make them purposeful??? [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 06-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

You could put the signature square on top of a background square with a fusible. You can then top stitch the edge for raw edge appliqué but the edges will fray after washing. The other option would be to cover the signature square that is fused to a background square and cover it with bridal tulle. The bridal tulle will keep the square from fraying and you could do a line of quilting through the sandwich just around the outside of the fused square. Not ideal but the only option I can think of that would preserve the whole message.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. You are going to have to fuse them to another piece of fabric and finish with the edge treatment of your choice. For future reference, this is why folks suggest drawing the 1/4" seam allowance around the edge of the fabric pieces to be signed (some folks will still ignore the instructions). The table set up for this should be attended by someone who can monitor the process.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:35 PM

Using your color, I would use a 2-1/2" piece around it the whole way, making a picture frame type piece, or maybe a log cabin effect. That way you could sew up close but still save those pieces.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
For future reference, this is why folks suggest drawing the 1/4" seam allowance around the edge of the fabric pieces to be signed (some folks will still ignore the instructions). The table set up for this should be attended by someone who can monitor the process.
This has been mentioned numerous times on this site. I use to use 1/4" quilting masking tape to make sure that no one wrote beyond the edges. I can't think any way to selvage the blocks. Sorry. Welcome to the board. Hope you find more inspiration on this site.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:06 AM

How many are to the edge? If only a few, put them in the quilt that way. You can probably guess what the word is. If only a few.....you could always copy them onto printer fabric and cut to size.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:32 AM

As Tartan mentioned, use a fusible to fasten them to a larger block and use ultra fine thread and do a very small zig zag along the very edge. That should make them secure.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:46 AM

Similar to Iclang..........I would iron to a light weight fusible, adhere to a larger square, maybe even at a slight tilt, then do a blanket stitch with invisible thread. The blanket stitch is less likely to "cover up" the majority of the writing. Once it is appliqued, then square up all the outside squares to the same size and piece and quilt as usual. By adhering to a larger square on a tilt, you won't notice that the original 4 x 4 squares weren't square. Here is a baby quilt I did that will give you an idea what it will look like. This was made with a panel and each square was slightly different in size and none were square. Once they were sashed (you will be appliquing instead) it is not noticeable.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522032[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails j-cs-baby-quilt-front.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 01:50 PM

I did an 80th BD split-rail-fence quilt with the signature in the middle "white" muslin section. Sure enough... they started to write in the ¼" seam allowance edge! Before piecing the entire thing together, I put another muslin square over it and centered the signature... and I traced and re-wrote the name... only I knew it and no one was the wiser.

Good luck. I'm sure it will turn out lovely no matter where the signature lands.

Last edited by cpfrog; 06-11-2015 at 01:51 PM. Reason: grammar mistake