Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have tons of ??'s >

I have tons of ??'s

I have tons of ??'s

Old 05-06-2016, 01:06 PM

Default I have tons of ??'s

My grdson wife has some Iowa Hawkey t-shirt. They want me to make a t-shirt quilt. Any pointer will be apprecitated. I know there is a stabilizer to buy. Is there a certain brand/weight. Don-isewman
Old 05-06-2016, 01:10 PM

Lots of posts on here about stabilizing T-shirts.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:33 PM

I think I just read that Felinefanatic has some info on t-shirt quilts. I just looked. I don't know how to tell you where they are, but on my computer it's page 3.

Last edited by barny; 05-06-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:57 PM

When you make a tee shirt quilt, always, always, always cut the tee shirt extra big. I usually cut them at the shoulders and down the sides. I stabilize with a fusible, light weight Pellon. I use about a half yard per tee shirt. Then and only then, cut the tee shirts to the size you want them. Then you can add sashings and what ever else you want to add to make the quilt. I just finished one for my granddaughter for her high school graduation. Use your imagination when pieceing and make them fun. I would love to see pictures of the finished quilt.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:41 PM

Don----I've never made one----but the quilt instructor at our JoAnns teaches to use the inexpensive 99 cents per yard for the T shirt quilts. Nice to hear from you!
Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 PM

Make sure the t-shirts are 100% cotton or don't use the fusible stabilizers.
If you are using fusible, use a pressing cloth so as not to overheat fusible & be sure to carefully follow instructions about iron temp.
Sulky makes nice cut-away stabilizers (both fusible & sew-in). Whatever brand you do buy, it needs to be cut-away stabilizer so it will stay adhered to fabric when used or washed.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Hi Don. I use to make T-shirt quilts for customers and I use what you can find at JAF: Pellon #906F. It is fusible interfacing for sheer to lightweight fabrics. I use it because you don't want to add any more weight since the T-shirts are heavy as is. You cut squares and iron it on before you start cutting the s-shirt square. So many different layout.
https://www.google.com/search?q=t-sh...w=1005&bih=600
I like the one that looks like a shadow box giving the T-shirt a 3D effect.
Here is a MSQC video on how to make a t-shirt quilt. Good Luck!
http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/t-sh...ing-made-easy/
Old 05-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Whichever interfacing you use (I like Soft Fuse) make sure to follow the instructions (time and heat settings).
Old 05-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Hi, Don--I make t-shirt quilts for lots of family & customers--I start by cutting the front (or back) off the neck & sleeves. I then do measurements of the logos so that I have something to work with when trying to figure out a design. I use a very lightweight fusible (pellon 906 or 911 max). I fuse the logo then I cut the logo piece into the square or rectangle I plan to use. While having all the logos the same size makes for an easy layout with the same size sashings, and nice, neat borders, it doesnt seem like that ever happens! So get out the graph paper and plug in the different sizes of the shirts. Be careful with those shirts that have the plastic type logos--they melt if you them with an iron and if you sew through them it causes trouble too. I usually just do a meander or do a continous design on the sashings and something else on borders, and then just outline the logos (sometimes you have to be creative to get the logo quilted enough so it doesn't sag. Good luck and post pictures. (also, if any of the shirts have seen better days and have some stains--which often happens with whites, I first soak in hot water and Cascade Dishwasher detergent, and then wash--helps).
Old 05-07-2016, 11:19 PM

MSQC recommends:

fusible interfacing –
Fusible Featherweight to Midweight Interfacing Yardage by Pellon SKU# 911FF