Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have witnessed 2 miracles this week: Sta Flo Starch (Heavy) and Bloc-Loc Ruler!!! >

I have witnessed 2 miracles this week: Sta Flo Starch (Heavy) and Bloc-Loc Ruler!!!

I have witnessed 2 miracles this week: Sta Flo Starch (Heavy) and Bloc-Loc Ruler!!!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 AM
Vat

I should own stock in Sta-Flo starch, have been using it in half starch-half water for several years. Before cutting anything , I spray my fabric wet, wet with it and then iron it dry. Wonderful ! ! ! Anyone that has not tried it want believe the difference.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 AM

I'm a starch girl too, it just turns weak fabric into something more managable. Thanks for the recommendation on the rulers, with so many out there it's nice to hear that one holds up to it's promises.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 AM

Neat AngelinaMaria! You've got me very interested in the ruler! Starching truly does make a huge difference. My fabric turns out as easy to handle as paper too. I saturate my fabrics in a bucket with the starch at 50 Stay Flo /50 H2O, then gently squeeze out the excess starch and then hang them over cafe curtain rods to let them air dry. When it is time to iron, just ever so lightly mist the fabric with water.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM

I love my Bloc-Loc ruler, especially since this BOM I am finishing has a lot of HST. It has been so much easier to trim and check them with it.

I like my Best Press, especially since I have some allergies to fragrances.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Well, now there ya' go - making me need something I didn't even know existed!!! lol And I too love StaFlo
Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 AM

I love my Sta-Flo too, but ladies - what's your secret to working with those heavily starched fabrics and not getting a mess? I find that when I starch and then iron, my iron sticks to the fabric. Do you spray the starch, then wait a minute before ironing? Does the starch make your iron a complete mess (like mine)? I am constantly cleaning the iron and then five minutes later, it's a mess again. Any tips? Or is this the usual? (I just discovered the liquid starch a short while ago so I'm still learning!)
Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I love my Sta-Flo too, but ladies - what's your secret to working with those heavily starched fabrics and not getting a mess? I find that when I starch and then iron, my iron sticks to the fabric. Do you spray the starch, then wait a minute before ironing? Does the starch make your iron a complete mess (like mine)? I am constantly cleaning the iron and then five minutes later, it's a mess again. Any tips? Or is this the usual? (I just discovered the liquid starch a short while ago so I'm still learning!)
Donna, start by starching one side of your fabric and giving it a minute to soak in. I fold my fabric up into 4th and then press on it with my hands to push to starch into the fabric better. Then flip it over and iron from the other side first. Then go back to the starched side and give it a good press. This should eliminate the mess you are having. Gina
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Thank you, Gina! I'm going to try that tonight and see what happens. I would love to spend more time sewing than cleaning my iron!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know where I can buy the bloc loc's in the UK! I have googled to no avail!!!!!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Caroline, I don't have a clue where to get them in the UK, here in the USA not all quilt stores carry them! You might try contacting their head office and they should be able to let you know where/if they are available in your area... don't know if they come in metric.

I only have one as they are so very expensive.........wish I had thought of it and produced this item!!!

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anybody know where I can buy the bloc loc's in the UK! I have googled to no avail!!!!!

Hugs

Caroline