Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I joined a quilt guild tonight >

I joined a quilt guild tonight

I joined a quilt guild tonight

Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM

I visited a local guild for my first time this week. It was strange to walk into a room of about 20 people and not recognize a soul!!! I was unsure to answer the repeated question "So, are you a quilter?" since I have actually only completed one quilted wall hanging, one large quilt, and one quilt top. However, everyone was very friendly. A few minutes later two of the members from my American Sewing Guild came it and pulled up chairs next to mine. Then, a woman that I had chatted with at a fabric store came in and immediately recognized me----I was feeling better and better!!!

The program was on channel quilting which I enjoyed learning about. The show and tell was very inspirational. This guild does a block of the month which was fun the see the completed blocks using the same pattern but different materials. The guild is going on a retreat in October and I am planning to go, too!!!

A great experience that I would encourage others to try??? Yes! :P
Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kaye
I visited a local guild for my first time this week. It was strange to walk into a room of about 20 people and not recognize a soul!!! I was unsure to answer the repeated question "So, are you a quilter?" since I have actually only completed one quilted wall hanging, one large quilt, and one quilt top. However, everyone was very friendly. A few minutes later two of the members from my American Sewing Guild came it and pulled up chairs next to mine. Then, a woman that I had chatted with at a fabric store came in and immediately recognized me----I was feeling better and better!!!

The program was on channel quilting which I enjoyed learning about. The show and tell was very inspirational. This guild does a block of the month which was fun the see the completed blocks using the same pattern but different materials. The guild is going on a retreat in October and I am planning to go, too!!!

A great experience that I would encourage others to try??? Yes! :P
Wow, it looks like you have found a great group. The retreat sounds wonderful. Let us know how it was.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Good for you Eddie and congrats on your win! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine (which is very large). When my sis and I decided to join, she was out of town and convinced me (the shy one) to go by myself. I walked in, not knowing how big it was, and was overwhelmed by the size. But I soon discovered that most of the people are warm and welcoming. I have learned so much in the 2 years that I have been there from the guest speakers and have made quite a few friends. I have joined the outreach program, mostly teaching kids at risk. Then I joined a small group that one of the ladies from there started. I can't wait for all 3 to start up again next month. And yes, we have several men in our guild.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Banned

Good for you. I'm too chicken. I'm not that good and many do quilts for shows. I just do mine for love. I bet you'll enjoy it tho.. Let us know how it goes
Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 AM

I'm glad you found a group you enjoy! There are so many negative posts about guilds; it's really sad. I belong to one I like very much; a friend and I joined about three years ago. As we don't meet over July and August, I've been missing it and am looking forward to seeing everyone in September.

Mine is a mixed group - some are very talented, some use mostly cheater panels, some are traditional, some contemporary and some a mix of everything. A few are a little snippy, I just steer clear of them and focus on the friendly, helpful ones. A guild should provide a place to get together with other quilters to share and learn - everyone started as a beginner at some point!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:46 AM

Bev, don't sell yourself short. Perhaps you could go as a guest to a meeting and check it out. That's how I got started. I paid $5 to go as a guest and found many friendly people. The guest speaker was great and I was sold. We have all levels--yes a few do show quilts and get in quilting mags, but even they are mostly friendly and welcoming. Afterall, even those that do show quilts were beginners at one point!
Old 08-16-2009, 04:21 PM

Eddie---I am so glad that you had a positive guild experience and that you were welcomed as a male in the group. Congrats on winning a door prize!! Keep us posted on how the meetings go.