Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just cant get it!!!! >

I just cant get it!!!!

I just cant get it!!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:59 PM

I really, really wanted to learn so took a class at lqs. And am I glad I did, well worth the $45. Practice, practice and practice some more all while watching Leah Day, of course. And a good stiff drink to bolster your courage can't hurt. Quick question: Are you judging yourself too harshly? If you compare what you do as a learning student against completed projects by professional quilters (or those who should be professional) that is not a fair comparison. So give yourself a break and remember to have fun.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM

I heartily recommend the Supreme Slider, I tried FM for years, just wouldn't click, then saw the Supreme Slider at a quilt show-Wow, finally my hands & brain worked together, used it so much I wore it out-had so much fun with FM, bought another, wore it out & then realized I didn't ned it anymore. The click had happen, I now love FM. I also learned using a stretch needle makes a big difference, the longer scarf helps to prevent skipped stitches.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM

I have the same problem. I have sat in on many classes of FMQ when I had a quilt shop, I have practiced and practiced, I have done all the things everyone says to do, but I just cannot get the system down to where I like it. Was I glad when my DD decided to purchase a long arm, which she lets me us. Now if I could just get her to do the quilting for me, I would be pleased.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:03 PM

I am also one that has not had much luck with FMQ. I took a class at a local Quilt Shop. She taught us by following stencil lines. I could do that pretty well after a while. Someone on this board mentioned a book by Eva A. Larkin, "Free-Motion Quilting Made Easy". It shows 186 designs from 8 simple shapes. I've read the book, but have not had time to start playing with the shapes. She takes you step by step through the 8 basic shapes, then explains how to join them to make more shapes. It all has line drawings and explanations. I'm really impressed with the book, and hopefully I'll have time to try out her steps real soon. The most interesting thing about her system is she quilts most everything in a 4 1/2" square area. The small scale makes it easy to move the fabric just a little at a time. I picked the book up on Amazon on sale. As for meandering, I don't think I'll ever get that!

Last edited by JeanieG; 02-16-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 PM

The best thing I learned that helped my FMQ was to doodle. Whenever I have a piece of paper and a pencil, I doodle. I draw feathers, I draw loopy loops, and basically it trains my brain to move smoothly and relax as I try to make the designs. Once I could doodle smoothly, I found my FMQ got smoother too.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM

That's how I feel too. I have a dry eraser board and play on it almost every evening while hubby watches t.v.

Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
The best thing I learned that helped my FMQ was to doodle. Whenever I have a piece of paper and a pencil, I doodle. I draw feathers, I draw loopy loops, and basically it trains my brain to move smoothly and relax as I try to make the designs. Once I could doodle smoothly, I found my FMQ got smoother too.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 PM

I received a bailey 15'' over a year ago and to be honest it scared me to death!Everyone on the bailey quilting board was super nice and said there is a 3 to 4 month learning curve. I thought this was the silliest thing I ever heard.But while I am still not great at the long to mid arm quilting I do ok. With this being said you will learn, we all learn at different speeds, so please dont give up.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM

all it takes is lots of practice, write the dates on your practice sandwiches so you can see your progress. practice making harts and big loops or trace some easy pictures on your sandwiches. I bought a stipple template to start out with, then took off running, don't be so judgmental on yourself. rule of thumb----the more you quilt the less your mistakes show no one will ever know. And most of all have fun with it.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
EFS

MacThayer, your post is wonderfully encouraging....thank you.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM

I never thought I would be able to stripple. I took a "quilt as you go" class and strippled each block first. Now I have enough confidence to stripple my "Rose of Remembrance" blocks if, 8 mean WHEN I get them done. Plunging in & practicing is the key! Good luck