Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I knew better...

Power Poster
    but I was cleaning up my sewing area and leaned my 15 inch omnigrid ruler against the back of the chair. I ironed my blocks, went back to my machine and sat down to sew...... CRACK! I can't believe I broke my ruler. I have it taped together for now but I will be shopping for a new one, I guess. Don't you hate it when you do stupid things. :cry:

sure do.we are all human and mess up sometimes.

Oh dear ... What a way to ruin a Saturday night!!

Make Lemonade out of those Lemons! .... Keep the pieces and take them to a glass shop. They can trim them down into smaller rulers/squares for you.

You can also go to Lowe's and buy the acrylic glue and put it back together.

Blog Entries
    Argh!!!

Oh, don't beat yourself up over it. We all do things like that sometimes. Just think you will be getting a brand new one and you won't set it in your chair anymore. I am glad you didn't get hurt on the broken pieces.
    Kat

Power Poster
    Thanks everyone! I'll try to glue it on Monday and if that doesn't work, I'll see about cutting it down. I don't feel so bad after reading all your great ideas!

At least you know where it is and what happened to it. I used my slotted June Taylor ruler to cut all the strips for a log cabin quilt. Dear little ruler has been hiding from me ever since and that was in October. I don't know what I did to make it do that! Of course, if I buy (adopt!) another one, the first one will miraculously appear, probably in the middle of my bed, or bop me on the head, or . . . well, you know what I mean!

That's terrible but it sounds just like me..... :(

Blog Entries
    sorry, that will give you an excuse to go to quilt shop and buy you another one and you will find more goodies to buy

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I'm used to doing dumb things LOL :D:D

That sounds like something I would do. Glad you have ideas to deal with the situation! :)

Blog Entries
    I'd cut it down, use a Joann's coupon & go buy or order on line a new one:+)

I thought my ruler was unbreakable, then my husband dropped it and then trod on it. We found out it's not unbreakable!! Oh well, at least you know you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    but I was cleaning up my sewing area and leaned my 15 inch omnigrid ruler against the back of the chair. I ironed my blocks, went back to my machine and sat down to sew...... CRACK! I can't believe I broke my ruler. I have it taped together for now but I will be shopping for a new one, I guess. Don't you hate it when you do stupid things. :cry:
    If it broke on an even line, save it and use it as a smaller ruler. My 24" ruler broke in half, on a perfectly even line, and now I have two smaller rulers, which I use often.

Please promise that you will never set your iron down on your chair. Grins!

Blog Entries
    I did almost the same thing just three days ago. Leaned a long ruler on the wall, it fell over and as I was walking heard that same crack you heard. Luckily I have two other long ones and have been using the two shorter pieces.

We all do those kind of things!

I read a great idea on this site a few weeks ago that might have helped avoid this situation. A reader wrote that she had holes placed on the end of all her rulers and hung them on a hook on the wall. Great idea to avoid breakage and misplacing the small ones.

I keep tossing mine onto the floor, all the time saying, "Now you know you're liable to step on that!" Guess I won't stop till I do.

I had mine cut down to use as bag bottoms. Saved myself $$ - those Bag-E-Bottoms are expensive! Besides, the ruler corners were getting a bit rounded...

Oh, I can sympathize. About 4 years ago when I was cleaning and organizing my sewing room I wanted to put my Janome in its case so I could move furniture around. I picked up the clear acrylic extension and realized I couldn't set it down on my tables because they were piled high with large bags of unsorted fabrics, so I set the extension on the floor under the edge of my ironing board figuring that way I couldn't step on it. Then after I put the Janome in its case I turned to put it next to my other machines and lost my balance... you guessed it... Janome and I knocked the ironing board over, the iron fell and machine and I landed on the acrylic extension and split it in half. Of course the extension was a Christmas gift and I only had it for a couple of months.....
    To say the least, I was not a very happy camper!

I had mine on the floor (carpet) and leaned on it to get up..............duh.....it broke too. I had a back up though so i only use it when i'm cutting smaller pieces. It worked out fine.

Blog Entries
    I put a nail in my closet and hang my rulers every time I finish using them because I would be the very one to sit on it too.

I am sorry but this made me laugh. Boy can I relate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast