Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I know in my heart that this looks wrong--help!

I'm thinking the X block on the bottom doesn't look right. Also, the blocks that have the flowers in the center, I'd move one to the right side to distribute them more evenly. I think it might be best if she decides how she wants them.

Banned
    The X block is too heavy for its placement and the hearts are too light . Try "jaciq" suggestion.

Your quilt it fabulous!

Since your DIL is partial to the hearts block, I would try that in the center of the quilt. Try moving two of the the blocks from the bottom row of the second pic-placing one in each of the other two columns. Seperate the blocks with 'motion' to be next to blocks that are a bit more 'quiet'. Keep moving them around and when you find a setting you think you like, take a photo and keep doing that until you get a setting you are happy with.

Don't despair. You have a good thing going.

d

I don't see a problem with the blocks at all with the exception, I would switch the heart to the middle instead of the corner so that the point blocks aren't next to each other. Love them otherwise and don't see why you don't like some of them. Good luck.
    Michelle

Blog Entries
    I love your block choices and colors. The only suggestion I make is to exchange the bottom right block with the one above it to lighten the bottom row. I love the x block and it is where it should be to anchor the bottom of the quilt.

Another option (and I may be opening a can of worms) ... have you considered setting them on point? lots of times blocks and arrangements will look different when set different. You'll either need to discard one of the blocks, or make two more to make it work. And of course the setting triangles.

Hmmm ... since she likes the hearts so much how about making two more blocks, setting them on point in rows of 3 then 2 then 3 then 2 then 3. Place her heart block in the center, and make your setting triangles a quarter version of the heart block.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am not good at placement,,,but I think all the blocks look great and I would lay them out with sashing to audition,,,it will look totally different,,its going to be pretty!

Your blocks are beautiful and very well done. You will get as many different opinions as there are people that look at the blocks. Put them in the arrangement that looks good to you and your friend and then sash them. I think you will like them. Every time I make a sampler quilt I have a block or two that I don't think fits. When the quilt gets done I sometimes wonder which block I didn't like. Good job.
    Lorraine

Sashing is going to make this look different.

Blog Entries
    I think that you should move the top 3 around; sprinkle them thru the quilt. They are less busy and will help break up the busy blocks. Then I'd also put the two blocks that have just red and just blue at opposite ends so that you don't notice as much that they are the two with only one color. You did a great job and I think you should be proud. What I normally do is lay out the design, take a picture and the look at if a while. Then I repeat the process after I've decided where I think they should go until I get it right. Then there is also sashing that would break up the blocks. Try laying them out on a sheet with a 1-2 in space in between each to see if you might like sashing to help break it up. Good luck. the main thing is the the receiver loves it, so you are a head of the game right now.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    If you took the X all the way out of the quilt and made a lighter weight one for that , wouldn't it look more even weight-wise?
    I'm leaning that way! I really dislike the kings cross. Pillow maybe

Blog Entries
    Have you tried putting the hearts in the middle? As for the ones you do not like I feel that if you keep standing back and looking at it you will see it differently. I am not fond of the 2 corner ones on the bottom but, I think it will work. Good luck
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

The blocks are all lovely. I would suggest that you put the hearts in the middle to break things up a bit and also because she loves that block. Since she loves the hearts so much, have you considered appliqueing some similar style hearts on the 3 blocks that you don't like? It may add to the theme of the design. You could then scatter those around the quilt.

~ Cindy

Blog Entries
    The first picture did look wrong...but the second picture is perfect!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    The X block is too heavy for its placement and the hearts are too light . Try "jaciq" suggestion.
    I agree. I think X is gone and hearts to center. (she loves hearts). Florals in each corner. I might appliqué a blue square to center of mosaic. I'm also thinking of changing corners of Churn Dash to dark red

Putting the " heavier" blocks, the bottom three, in the center up and down row would give more balance. All of your colors work well and the sashing will make a difference too. Isn't it wonderful that we all have different tastes? Your daughter will love it!

This is going to be a beautiful quilt. I think they all go through that "growing pains" stage for a while (at least they do for me!), where you don't quite like it but can't figure out why.

I really appreciate reading all the advice you've been given as it will be helpful to me too.

You've done a lovely job on it, and I can't wait to see the finished quilt! Your DIL will love it.
    This fabric would be just perfect for a....

Blog Entries
    You did a wonderful job!
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

Blog Entries
    Your money wrench is throwing a monkey wrench into it. Looking at the bottom lay out, try swapping the monkey wrench (churn dash) out with the middle bloc on the third row. See if that helps. that is your only block that doesn't have much red in it and it is throwing it off. Otherwise, you have created a beautiful quilt!!! She will be so happy to get this one.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    Many thanks to all of you. Today I appliqued a small blue square on point in the mosaic block. That pulled it together. I'm going to re-do the monkey wrench with red points and a brighter flower in center then move it to a corner. The hearts go to the center. The cross will become a pillow and I'll make a new block for its place. I'll post before and after pics when it's fixed. I will never be able to tell you how much I appreciate the help. Thank you so much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoflak View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with the way you have it layed out.... infact, I really like it
    I totally agree!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

SEW
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    To me it looks like some of the stars needs to be moved around and the heart, X and cross like block moved to break up the points a bit. Hope that makes sense. Other then that it is beautiful. Which 3 block does she not like???
    I agree...this would make it more symmetrical. It really is a beautiful quilt!

Sashing the blocks will give a different look to them. The sashing will separate each block and keep the designs from fighting with each other.

Charlie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamagal View Post
    I'm making a sampler quilt for my DIL. From the beginning it has been a disaster. I only had a few fat quarters, so I had planned to do a lap quilt. She came in one day and said she really wanted it for the bed. Sooooo, I found some matching tonals, and a couple of matching florals and went for 12 blocks. She's OK with the colors. The blocks are finished, but 4 are wrong. Nothing wrong with the way they are sewn, but they don't look right on the design board. I've moved them around til I'm turning blue!! LOL I can get her to come put them in the order she wants, or I can make pillows with the three I hate (one of the four she loves) and make three new blocks that will fit.

I plan to sash with the dark red, make a smaller border with the small flowered print and a wider border in the blue if I can find it. If not, a wider dark red.

What would you do?

If you can, please rotate this pic to the right, on my design board the heart is in the top left. I'm not good at posting pics. LOL
    Are these blocks all the same size? They do look off - I would make sure your blocks are all the same size otherwise it is just not going to turn out, eh? Been there, done that - ended up making new blocks. I apologize if I am wrong, but that is how it looks on the picture. You can put the blocks wherever you please because the sashing will individualize each block and it really doesn't matter. I generally put the most important block in the center because then all the other ones can "frame" it! I love making Samplers and find that it isn't what matches with the block, it is the importance of the center block to the others - sort of like telling a story. I think it is going to be beautiful when it is done! Edie

Blog Entries
    All blocks 12". Design board is small so the are overlapping.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast