Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I learned something about myself today >

I learned something about myself today

I learned something about myself today

Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 AM

I was afraid to starch because it would build up on my iron. What kind of starch do u use? How do u keep it off the iron?
I have been misting with water.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:23 AM

I have had some of the same problems. All summer I have made practice quilts and I can see there are cutting problems. My problems at times will keep corners from matching. I bought Best Press and that helps. I signed up for a rotary cutting class at a LQS, was ill the day it was taught, but can take it in December. There are hints and clues to learn. Can hardly wait for the class.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:49 AM

You can use either starch or Magic Sizing...both work well. I'm a believer in using these products, as for me, it sure does make a difference in both the cutting and the sewing.

I do starch my fabrics before cutting, just FYI.

Debbie in Austin
Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by leonajo
I was afraid to starch because it would build up on my iron. What kind of starch do u use? How do u keep it off the iron?
I have been misting with water.
I don't seem to have a problem with build up. I really don't. And I use at least Magic Sizing every time I iron, almost no matter what it is. I like the body it gives. I do have a stainless steel bottom, not a teflon, and I've never noticed a problem. Now with appliqué interfacing/web...well, that's another story :)

Also I do clean my iron periodically. Not as often as recommended, I'm sure, but perhaps that takes care of it?

Debbie in Austin
Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 AM

My iron does have a buildup. Someone gave me this link in chat the other night:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/cleaniron
I haven't tried it yet but probably will today. I have two irons so I've just been using the cleaner one.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 AM

my mom taught me to clean my iron using salt. Spread out a newspaper, sprinkle with salt and then run the cold iron all around on top of the newspaper. Takes off the crusties pretty well.

So far since using the spray starch I haven't had a buildup. But I also haven't been doing this very long.

BTW have to brag about my iron. Found a high end Rowenta iron at the thrift store. The burst of steam button is broken but otherwise it works like a dream. Had some burned on crusties and cleaned those off. And I only paid $5 for it!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 AM

I too am confused about the starching?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:10 PM

A little tip to think about. Most of the quilt patterns I see assume that you will be cutting the fabric across the grain(not lengthwise). The cross grain S T R E T C H E S, and with a sandwich of top, batting and backing the result can be as much as a half of an inch difference in a 20 inch cut. I am currently working on a log cabin, all cut on the cross grain, and using the quilt as you piece technique which I love, but NEXT time I will give serious thought to cutting those strips on the length wise grain to minimize the stretch.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Amen!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 PM
mac

Originally Posted by mzsooz
It sure would be easier to iron on the starch on the whole piece of fabric instead of each tiny little square!

I will try this next time.
Just thought I would mention something about 'starching just the blocks'. It is my firm belief it is always better to starch the FABRIC BEFORE you cut it. You get a much cleaner cut when the fabric is starched and the pieces just fit into the block so much better. If you starch the block after you make it, you can stretch the block, especially if you have any bias edges.

One more thing: I will only starch the amount of fabric I need. Let’s say you have a yard of fabric and the pattern only calls for 1/3 of a yard. I will only iron and starch 1/3 of a yard and place the rest back into my stash. This keeps the fabric from forming permanent creases in the center of the fabric (on the fold line).
mac