Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I learned something today

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Get your quilts out and set up a booth :D:D:D
    Handmade means a lot to some people, they don't look for perfection, they look for the love and time put into the quilt :D:D:D
    I am really thinking about taking some of mine up to Sun Valley and try to sell them. Tourists????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    They must have been "non-quilters" to not know machine from hand applique. Maybe you should think about setting up a booth and selling your own. I guess only you would know the imperfections. I was amazed yesterday when I went to my LQS and was looking at the quilts hung up as examples for upcoming classes. On one the SID was "off" in a lot of places and it made me feel better about my own quilting :)
    Am I missing something? The OP never said that people thought it was hand applique. Only that they thought hand made quilts are best. Is a machine appliqued quilt not considered hand made anymore? :shock:
    Pardon me...I guess I misread it. Do we need to be so knit-picky?.....Sheesh
    sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    Quote Originally Posted by laureneberhard
    I use the 10 foot rule for all my quilts!!
    "Ten Yard/Galloping Horse" Rule -
    "You can only view my quilt from ten yards on a galloping horse" - Makes me look Gooooood!!
    10 yards!!! Wow, that's 30 ft!! I would just be able to see a mottled mess of color with me eyes!

As one nationally known quilter says,"hang 'em high and keep 'em moving". Then no one can see the perceived imperfections.

I now have a nicely photoshopped page hanging above my sewing machine that says:

Finished is better than perfect!

LOL!

I don't think I'd ever try to sell any of mine, though. I'll never be quite THAT good, LOL! Plus, I think I'd loose some of my enjoyment of making quilts. It would feel like a "job" then you know? I know not everyone would feel that way, and thank God they don't or no one would ever sell any! LOL! Its just me, I guess. I'm just too new to even think of getting money for my poor quilt, LOL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    I now have a nicely photoshopped page hanging above my sewing machine that says:

Finished is better than perfect!

LOL!

I don't think I'd ever try to sell any of mine, though. I'll never be quite THAT good, LOL! Plus, I think I'd loose some of my enjoyment of making quilts. It would feel like a "job" then you know? I know not everyone would feel that way, and thank God they don't or no one would ever sell any! LOL! Its just me, I guess. I'm just too new to even think of getting money for my poor quilt, LOL!
    I didn't think I would ever try to sell quilts either. I have one bed and one recliner, and very little wall space. What do I do with them? Realistically how many quilts does one person need? I have about six for my bed with the ones I have made and the ones that my gave me before she passed. I also have a queen size crocheted one from my MIL. If I want to quilt I have to find a way to pay for my habit. So...the only thing I know of to do is try to sell them.

My mantra has always been "You can not see it from the boardwalk."

I learned to machine applique using Harriet Hargrave's book. It's all in the use of finer threads and needle. The stitch width is smaller also. This made a huge improvement in my machine applique.

Blog Entries
    I am hard on myself as well, and all of you have given me encouragement and I really appreciate it, if it wasn't for that encouragement, I would have stopped "learning to quilt" weeks ago! thanks all of you for the encouraging words. Even though I am just making the small items for now! Mary

psychomomquilter.

"Ten Yard/Galloping Horse" Rule -
    "You can only view my quilt from ten yards on a galloping horse" - Makes me look Gooooood!!
    Just seen this! love it!

Hi, what is the 10 foot rule? This sounds interesting. I need a rule and this may be it. Thanks

I am really hard on myself too, to the point of where I have almost given up because of how many mistakes I make. But then, I ask myself why I started to quilt at all, and it was for the adventure and fun! Maybe we all need to think of that when we start judging quilts at all.

Blog Entries
    I would have congratulated the woman for actually being able to sell her quilts for those prices....and from a booth in her yard! Good for her! I agree...we need to stop pointing out all the errors...nobody else looks for them (except my DH--:wink:)

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Get your quilts out and set up a booth :D:D:D
    Handmade means a lot to some people, they don't look for perfection, they look for the love and time put into the quilt :D:D:D
    But you know what gets me is: they want your work for 'nearly nothing'. Unless someone does quilting and hand work, they have no idea how much time, effort, expense, and love go into a project. Just saying........

Blog Entries
    Once I got to looking at them close, the machine applique wasn't very good at all. They looked about like mine! I've been very aggravated over my machine applique, feeling like it's terrible, etc.

If you want to improve your machine applique get Sue Nichols book "Raw Edge Applique" She really improved mine. I took a class from her and her quilts are fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I think quilters notice more mistakes than a lay person ever notices.
    I agree. I grew up with quilts my grandmother and her friends and family made and I always thought that they were absolutely beautiful. Now that I am quilting, I can look at the old quilts and see mistakes I never saw before. I still think those old quilts are absolutely beautiful, but it makes me feel better about my quilts knowing they will be loved in spite of their flaws.

Quilts are like people. None are perfect, but we love them anyway!

I LOVE the 10 foot rule!

I agree we are all too critical of our own work. We start with this vision of how it "should" look when finished. Then we experience all the "obstacles" along the way and see the little things that aren't quite as we first envisioned it. To us it seems imperfect. But to others looking at it, they see only the finished product and appreciate it for what it is, a lovingly made, hand crafted work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar-midlife
    I think most of us are way too hard on ourselves. A few years ago, a wonderful (experienced) quilter whom I thought was perfect explained to me that she was the only one who knew where the mistakes were and I should keep in mind that "finished is better than perfect". It has stuck with me and I am working on "letting go"!
    I think I'll make a sign for the door of my "Sewing Room" about the ......"finished is better than perfect" then I won't have to explain the flaws in any of my projects....Love that comment!.

I love to find unfinished treasures! For me it is fun to think of an unknown quilter having put so much work into a top and finishing it to the best of my ability. I particularly love antique tops and pay a lot to buy them. Fear no t ladies your quilt tops do get finished with a great deal of love.

Quote Originally Posted by sall
    What is the ten foot rule and what is the gallping horse rule? I have never heard of either
    10 foot rule.......look at it from 10 feet away
    galloping horse rule......look at it while galloping on a horse

In both instances, you can't look too critically!!!

LOL!!! Love it!

I agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Well said we are our worst critics!

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    Hi, what is the 10 foot rule? This sounds interesting. I need a rule and this may be it. Thanks
    Connie,
    If it looks great from 10 ft. away - it's good enough for me. If I still think it's bad, take it out and do it over. Guess what - I hardly ever take anything out and do it over. Just try it once and you'll see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Well said we are our worst critics!
    Yes, we are and I'm one of them. Since 2007 I have finished 1 king size and 2 queen size and 3 regular bed size quilts. They were far from perfect but my family loved them. In fact the king size was to replace a queen size I made 30 years ago for my son and his bride. They still use that one, but someplaces are thinning, so they stored it as an heirloom. I also have made over 200 lap quilts for a veterans hospital. All of them have been machine quilted with the exception of the king size. I'm still makeing, quilting, finishing several tops I have in my stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar-midlife
    I think most of us are way too hard on ourselves. A few years ago, a wonderful (experienced) quilter whom I thought was perfect explained to me that she was the only one who knew where the mistakes were and I should keep in mind that "finished is better than perfect". It has stuck with me and I am working on "letting go"!
    Same thing here .. It is more fun when u let go ...and fire the guilting police !!!!!!!

My friend who does all sorts of 'artsy' crafta and used to do custom orders on some of them, has decided that she will just make what she wants to with what she has, get an etsy (sp?) site set up and if somebody wants what she has, great, if not, no more searching everywhere for that special color yarn or flower or fabric that Ms. I M Particular just has to have, and no more sitting in the heat or cold at outdoor craft shows either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast