Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Love Going to Class Online! >

I Love Going to Class Online!

I Love Going to Class Online!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 PM

Default I Love Going to Class Online!

I don't have time to be a good guild member or the money to go to the big Quilt Shows or retreats where the more well known Quilt teachers conduct classes. I have taken some really great classes at my LQS and there are awesome DVDs available from TV Quilt teachers and the well known personalities. Recently because of a recommendation from some QB members I checked out Craftsy.com. What a great find! I signed up for the free class which I have enjoyed watching, and plan on making some of the blocks as pillows and perhaps even a bigger project. While I was looking at other offerings I found Peggy Martin's Quick Strip Paper Piecing class. Paper piecing has been on my list to learn, but seemed like something I was going to have to wait until I had a block of time with no other project commitments. In watching her introduction, it was obvious she had streamlined several designs using strips and chain piecing which seemed like something I might be able to manage now. It was also 50% off [they seem to rotate offering different classes on sale]. When I looked at $30 and the number of projects she teaches I decided it was really worth trying this out. Even within one design she gives more than one way to utilize it. The first one is Pinwheel Polka. She shows a baby quilt and lap quilt.I reworked it a little to make a small wall hanging. It was supposed to be a Valentine project, but I just finished it tonight. Also tried Sharon Schamber's glue binding method, came out great! The fact that the class will always be available, once you purchase it, it's always yours and the number of "classes within the class" were the big selling points for me. Said all this to recommend to anyone who for whatever reasons: time constraints, travel distance, no desire to attend classes by yourself--whatever, this might be something you would want to consider. I will say it would be easier if your computer, laptop, notebook or smart phone can be close to your sewing area. Hopefully I can include a pic of the wall hanging, I'm going to try. Happy Quilting!
Attached Thumbnails ppwallhanging-pinwheel-polka.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 10:30 PM

That's pretty! I love your colors.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:08 AM

I also took the quick strip pp class n loved it.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 AM

I agree 100%! I got my first class for $20 around Christmas time and have been hooked since!! I've never taken a "real" class, so I can't compare it, but the convenience of it can't be beat! I just wish I could watch it on my iPod or iPad because I would love to take the class to my sewing machine!! I did ask for my money back for one of the classes and it was back in my account within a few days and I still have access to that class. You can't beat that for customer service!

There's lots of tutes online for free too, but since I'm brand new at machine quilting, I wanted something that taught from "Ok, I have my top, now what?" to binding! And they are adding more classes all the time! When my husband asks me what I want for ____, I send him to Craftsy's website!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 AM

I too have been taking classes on Craftsy ans really like them. I have taken 3 so far on machine quilting and they have been excellent.. Now, if only the skill transfered over....practice, practice, practice!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 AM

Yes, I love the Craftsy classes also. I have signed up for the Quilting Quickly I & II by Jenny Doan when they were half price and love the free class with Amy Gibson. You learn a lot of good information, really good for beginners and more experienced quilters. Check it out.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM

I have taken a class at my local shop and it didn't compare with the online courses! I love it online. You can do it when you have time. I got better feedback than in the "live" class. More instruction. I love my online classes! (I have four going now, including the paper piecing which I haven't started yet!)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Have not taken any classes yet. Beautiful work!!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM

I live in a very rural area in the mountains and going to classes at an LQS is a real challenge- long drives, weather problems, etc, so I love taking my classes on-line. I can watch them when I want, go back and re-learn things, and just find them more relaxing than all the hassle of going to a "real life" class (and it doesn't matter is the road out front is iced over or not)! The Craftsy classes are great and I find myself frequentily re-viewing the Jenny Doan classes to make different quilts.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks for sharing! I plan on taking a look at taking some online classes too. I won't have to drag my machine out to the car and drive to the class.