I love new quilting tools. >

I love new quilting tools.

I love new quilting tools.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Onebyone- that looks awesome!
Knowing you can get expensive
Old 06-11-2023, 05:42 PM

While it looks interesting, the price alone would be a "no" for me. Beside price, my Cardiologist always tells me to stay away from magnets with my pacemaker ICD.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:28 AM

Not for me, I love my Martelli mat and I do what Donna Jordon does. I have 2 and 4 pound weights, I put them on the rulers and no slippage. Easy to remove and reposition as needed.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:33 AM

Way out of my price range...think of all the fabric you could buy instead! I simply use 2 dumb-bell hand weights from Walmart and my rulers don't slip.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

For not slipping rulers I use Cottage Mills ruler edge slip. Mostly I use my Quilters Slidelock. Watch a video demo here:https://www.cottagemills.com/product...lip-6in-2pack/

I bought the six pack at Amazon.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-12-2023 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:23 PM

I don't have a problem with slipping when I'm cutting my fabric. I just use a 5 pound exercise weight to hold down my ruler while I am cutting. I think I got the entire set of excercise weights of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 pounds (2 of each weight) for under 15.00. I think some new 'inventions' tend to be gimicks that you'll use for a while and then set aside. Sorry.

eta: beside the fact that by reading about how to do it, by the time you set the ruler and magnets up for each cut of fabric you need to make, it's going to take so much time. I'll stick with my inexpensive exercise weight.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 06-12-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I don't have a problem with slipping when I'm cutting my fabric. I just use a 5 pound exercise weight to hold down my ruler while I am cutting.

beside the fact that by reading about how to do it, by the time you set the ruler and magnets up for each cut of fabric you need to make, it's going to take so much time.
A) I put basting spray on the back of my rulers - no slipping while cutting. To remove spray, clean with rubbing alcohol.

B) I was under the impression that the sewtites magnets were to attach a quilt to the poles of a longarm? I saw a demo and that's what the person doing the demo showed. I thought about buying them, but you can always buy bar magnets from Harbor Freight, same concept, less expensive. But then I realized I don't mind pinning and have gotten pretty fast at it.

Thanks for posting the idea, Onebyone, I'm sure there are others out there who will appreciate it!
Old 06-13-2023, 03:55 AM

Holy cow! I love my gadgets and notions, but I'll be skipping this one.

It comes with a magnetic ruler - so our regular rulers (which most of us have scads of) won't work with it. And when you need to replace your ruler, guess what? It's got to be theirs! Except I don't think they'll be around that long...