Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I love quilting but I hate making tops

You are not alone, Ashley! I love hand quilting but I don't like piecing, that is one of the main reasons why I have started to do wholecloth quilts.

Blog Entries
    talk to some quilt shops around your area and show them some of your work and leave a card. you should pick up some business.

I love the whole process but do not like making bed size quilts. They are so difficult to handle.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love the hand quilting more then the pieceing. Like to buy and shop for fabrics, hate cutting, I like to sew, but we have a full household and the adults work at different hours of the day, so I am never alone....that makes a dif. right now I am in the waiting roomof our hospital my DH is getting his heart abalted and they just called and are going ahead and putting a pacemaker in while they have him in surgery. You know all you need is a surragate top sewer. have fun. Jackie

Blog Entries
    LOL, I should also warn anyone wanting me to do their quilts that I have one on the hoop now and a whole cloth waiting! I stopped my guitar lessons because it was affecting how my hands felt when I quilted. I felt like I had to make the choice: guitar or quilting. Obviously, I chose quilting (and I'm much better at it than the guitar!) but my hand is still recovering. So I thought I'd give machine quilting a go until my hands are ready. I'm still not good at it at all, but it's way more fun than I thought it would be! (Me and my sewing machine don't like each other most of the time!) So my plan is to do both.
    I'm not emotionally attached to anything (yeah, I'm weird like that) so I would try to sell most everything that comes my way! The exceptions are the ones I have in line now, one was a gift to me and one is a gift.

I am rather stressed right now with getting packages out to the troops for Christmas, (we sent 530 last year) but maybe after the first of the year we can work something out. I love to piece but have not gotten the whole quilting process down yet.

I am a hand quilter and love to do it. I love to pick the fabrics and designs for quilts but don't really like sewing everything together. The problem is it doesn't take as long to piece as it does to quilt so I always have plenty of tops laying around. And the basting part isn't so bad either. The way I figure it, I have enough material on hand to make about 30 tops (at least), I will be 65 on my birthday and have a life expenctancy of hopefully 10-15 years so I had best stay off the computer more and keep my hands busy. Inbetween I make quilts for Linus and have been practicing some machine quilting which is going sooooooooooo slowly. Carol

Love piecing the tops and not so much quilting but I get by.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Lots of people hire hand quilting ... I am one of them.
    To be honest, the rates are not all that different (in this area) between the two options.

If you enjoy hand quilting so much ... do a full top with LOTS of intricate quilting on it! That'll keep you busy for sometime!!
    Lol, I can keep myself busy with cheaters and tops I buy and this quilt that was supposed to be a whole cloth with a monogram in the middle of it... I screwed that one up and have to do some more work with it.. and it must be finished by May.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Wow Ashley, I wish we were neighbors!! I love to make quilt tops and hate to quilt! We'd make a good team. I have 3 tops made and folded up for when I get better at machine quilting or have time for handquilting. As for piecing, the more difficult the block pattern, the more I love it.
    Baste 'em and send 'em! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerK
    I wish you lived closer to me. I also love to make the tops but cannot hand quilt due to arthritis,and really do not enjoy machine quilting all that much. Hmmmmm.....maybe you just have to set a price and advertise in our 'buy,sell,trade' section. Bet there would be a lot of takers!
    I might do that after I finish my UFO's and my 90 day probationary period!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Ashley, A woman after my own heart. I make a lot of Linus quilts but they are a simple childish print layered with batting and a flannel back. I then machine quilt them just enough to hold up to laundering. I do use colorful, often varigated thread and a decorative stitch.
    My most favorite thing is the handquilting. For several years I was a handquilter for hire. Alas the long armers have put me out of business. Everyone is in a hurry. I can usually quilt a bed size quilt in six weeks or a little more depending on the size. My favoriate quilt to make is a wholecloth , premarked tone on tone or white on white. I have made a number of them.
    You can hand quilt in 6 weeks or machine quilt?

OHHHH, I hate the quilting process but I LOVE the piecing process!

I love the top making part. I hate the quilting part of the finished quilt.

Ashley I have a friend who also dislikes making quilt tops. However she loves to machine quilt other people's tops and does it at very reasonable prices.
    So you are definitely not alone.

Kat

I can handquilt in six weeks. I once made a doublebed quilt from start to finish for a raffle in 5 weeks.

I love to machine quilt. I like making tops too, but I have so much more fun doing the quilting. I bought an HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down machine and I love it. I don't make quilt tops fast enough to stay practiced up on my machine quilting. So I am trying to figure out how to get practice without having to make the tops first. Lol

I am another who would rather piece the tops than quilt. I would gladly exchange some work if it isn't really expensive to send.

Not me. I love making whole quilts. I love everything about it. I feel sorry for you that you don't love the whole process. It makes me feel very good to finish a quilt.

Blog Entries
    It's a great idea. There are lots of partners in the quilting world. good luck on your quest. At least two people can benefit from this kind of deal! :thumbup:

My stepmother did this many years ago. A friend in KY would piece the tops and Vel would hand quilt them. She would do several quilts and then get to keep one. I am in posession of the last quilt Vel quilted and treasure it. She no longer quilts but does some crochet work.

I sure wish I lived in Knoxville. My DS and DDIL live there. I have introduced her mother to quilting. She in turn discover Mammaw's Thimble. It is a 10 hour drive, so I can't get there often. I would love to have someone hand-quilt some of my tops for me.

I live in rural Maryland,about 45 miles north of Baltimore and just below Hanover PA. I belong to two guilds and have done a little quilting for some of the members but since there are now at least a half dozen longarmers between the two guilds I haven't gotten any commissions in several years. I also have in competion the Amish and Mennonite women that live in my general area. The majority of the handquilting I have done for others in the last several years has been a donation either at the local senior center, my church or a raffle quilt to aid our local Linus organization.
    I wouldn't mind swapping handquilting for someone to put together some tops for me. PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Ashley, A woman after my own heart. I make a lot of Linus quilts but they are a simple childish print layered with batting and a flannel back. I then machine quilt them just enough to hold up to laundering. I do use colorful, often varigated thread and a decorative stitch.
    My most favorite thing is the handquilting. For several years I was a handquilter for hire. Alas the long armers have put me out of business. Everyone is in a hurry. I can usually quilt a bed size quilt in six weeks or a little more depending on the size. My favoriate quilt to make is a wholecloth , premarked tone on tone or white on white. I have made a number of them.
    Are you in Garrett County by any chance? Oh, I see your post that you posted while I was posting. :lol:

just put a "quilt piecer wanted" add on the board and I am sure you will have many many applications!!!!!! (ME included)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast