Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I made "Name This Pattern"!! >

I made "Name This Pattern"!!

I made "Name This Pattern"!!

Old 10-15-2017, 10:20 PM

Default I made "Name This Pattern"!!

This is my first quilt block. It's 12" square. Thank you to Gay, Bear, Barb, Jan, QuiltnNan and everyone else who helped me puzzle it out. Immediately after I had cut out the little squares of one color, I realized I could have made two strips, sewed them together, and it would have been a whole lot easier. So, I started learning right away, lol. I used the piece-lique technique to make the quarter circle parts. Twice, because the first time I ended up without seam allowances. (At which time I looked at DH and noted that the problem with teaching yourself is that you frequently have an inexperienced, and therefore kind of crummy teacher.) I did 2x2 blocks, made the center 4x4 one, then made the quarter circles, added the corner 2x2 block and then attached them to the corners of the center 4x4 part. I put in the white on white curved wedges between the curved pieces, just so it would be square. I think if I make a quilt like this, I will stop after attaching the curves and corners, and leave the wedge blank until I assemble the whole quilt. Although wrestling with the whole big thing while sewing those curves might be really hard. So, maybe not. The easiest way would be to make all the curves and wedges and multisquare blocks, and then assembly would be easy, because all the blocks would be 6" squares. Except trying not to lose any of those pre-made blocks before you assemble the quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]582305[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mystery-block.jpg  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:21 AM

That's pretty. I like it.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:31 AM

Thanks, Eva!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:42 AM

themadpatter, did you create this pattern?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:55 AM

It looks nice. I think keeping that white piece as one big piece is a very hard way to assemble this block, though. Didn't the block you showed us have the curved piecing parts done as two squares? That way there would be no inset tiny point in the white fabric. Instead you'd be joining two squares, each with curved piecing, and there'd be a seam down the middle of the white area.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
themadpatter, did you create this pattern?
no, she posted the link to the antique top for sale https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...n-t291678.html
Old 10-16-2017, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
This is my first quilt block. It's 12" square. Thank you to Gay, Bear, Barb, Jan, QuiltnNan and everyone else who helped me puzzle it out. Immediately after I had cut out the little squares of one color, I realized I could have made two strips, sewed them together, and it would have been a whole lot easier. So, I started learning right away, lol. I used the piece-lique technique to make the quarter circle parts. Twice, because the first time I ended up without seam allowances. (At which time I looked at DH and noted that the problem with teaching yourself is that you frequently have an inexperienced, and therefore kind of crummy teacher.) I did 2x2 blocks, made the center 4x4 one, then made the quarter circles, added the corner 2x2 block and then attached them to the corners of the center 4x4 part. I put in the white on white curved wedges between the curved pieces, just so it would be square. I think if I make a quilt like this, I will stop after attaching the curves and corners, and leave the wedge blank until I assemble the whole quilt. Although wrestling with the whole big thing while sewing those curves might be really hard. So, maybe not. The easiest way would be to make all the curves and wedges and multisquare blocks, and then assembly would be easy, because all the blocks would be 6" squares. Except trying not to lose any of those pre-made blocks before you assemble the quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]582305[/ATTACH]
you did a great job on this!
Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 AM

That is some difficult piecing! Good job.

Rob
Old 10-16-2017, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

Looks like two 8's put together. The colors you picked would be perfect for a baby quilt. Cannot wait to see it finished.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

That is such a great block!!!!!! I remember your original post. Good job!!!!!!!