Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I made so much extra work for myself >

I made so much extra work for myself

I made so much extra work for myself

Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Default I made so much extra work for myself

I recently fell in love with strip quilting. I was making the "heart strings" pattern. All was going very well. Squared up @ block PERFECT. Then I machine basted all the blocks together according to pattern. I constantly paid attention to layout so as not to have a problem. Then I laid out @ row, again referring to pattern. A-okay. It was good wow, seams lined up PERFECT. Then I started to machine baste the rows. I got 5 rows basted when I realized that I hadn't stitched over the basting putting the blocks together. I debated weather to leave it machine basted but continue with the rest. I was on the fence.I couldn't just sew between the blocks because when I sewed the rows together I did not press and sew the seams open but to one side. Ultimatly, I got my seam ripper out and started removing the machine basting putting the rows together so I could stitch the blocks. After almost 45 mins I was still pulling out the machine basted stitches on the first one!
My question is, since I did machine baste the blocks together do you think I could leave it like that ? Or do I continue to rip? A lesson learned. Frustrating.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I would take out the basting sewing the rows together but leave the basting between the original blocks in the row. Then stitch the blocks in each row together with a normal stitch length. The long machine basting stitch will not hold the quilt together through normal use.

However, I'm confused by the fact that it is taking so long to remove the machine basted stitches. If they are basting stitches, they should be pretty big and should come out quickly. Cut every 4th or 5th stitch and then pull on the thread on the other side - should just come right out.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned

I don't understand what you mean by "machine basted the blocks together". Do you mean you put the blocks together with a long basting stitch before sewing them together. this sounds like it. If this is the case then the basting stitches will not hold in hard use.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would take out the basting sewing the rows together but leave the basting between the original blocks in the row. Then stitch the blocks in each row together with a normal stitch length. The long machine basting stitch will not hold the quilt together through normal use.

However, I'm confused by the fact that it is taking so long to remove the machine basted stitches. If they are basting stitches, they should be pretty big and should come out quickly. Cut every 4th or 5th stitch and then pull on the thread on the other side - should just come right out.
Answers my question. I know the basting should come right out but maybe because there's two layers of fabric. One the foundation and two the fabric. Maybe because I'm annoyed at myself. All was going too fine.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post

Ditto that!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM

We've all learned things the hard way. Welcome to the club. At any rate, lessons learned this way are seldom forgotten! Cheer up. It will work out.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 PM

I can't say I've ever basted a whole quilt together before sewing, but I've often basted in order to hold things together while sewing a shorter stitch. There's a perverse kind of pleasure in ripping out the basting threads because they bunch up the piece so it looks a mess, then - pop! - out they come and the piece goes back to flat. I can understand it would be difficult to remove the basting threads if you've sewed right over top of them since the stitching would hold them in. Those threads should cause no trouble for you; at worst they will work loose and need to be snipped occasionally. If this was my quilt top, I'd leave the basting stitches in unless they are causing puckering.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:22 PM

I have a question--why bother basting everything first?? If you have squared up your blocks, they should fit together quite well and if they don't, you'd have to open them anyway. To me, basting is just extra work and waste of thread because it is not strong enough to stand up to wear and tear.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM

Im a newbie so I am confused and can't picture what in the world she is talking about.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Try using non-permanent fabric glue next time instead of machine basting. It will wash out.