Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I may be traumatized

I jumped on ebay to look for quilt panels and jumped into the handmade quilts page. There was a "vintage" section that I spent sometime looking at. I came across one quilt that I know was not handmade as my mother purchased one for me when I was 8. As I continued to look through the various quilts I realized that many of them were from my childhood and they are labeled vintage. Now that official definition of an antique is 50 years or older. I am 51 and the realization came to me OMG I'm vintage! LOL I have the soul of a 30 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna.425
    I jumped on ebay to look for quilt panels and jumped into the handmade quilts page. There was a "vintage" section that I spent sometime looking at. I came across one quilt that I know was not handmade as my mother purchased one for me when I was 8. As I continued to look through the various quilts I realized that many of them were from my childhood and they are labeled vintage. Now that official definition of an antique is 50 years or older. I am 51 and the realization came to me OMG I'm vintage! LOL I have the soul of a 30 year old.
    i don't need to hear the 50 year thing-----------sticking quilt scraps in my ears!

Just like fine wine, we are better aged. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    i don't need to hear the 50 year thing-----------sticking quilt scraps in my ears!
    DITTO LOL

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I love this post. Feel the very same way. Brows through antique stores and am finding our wedding gifts! What is up with that !! "they are vintage" still did not feel any better !

I feel your pain ! hah!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Except I think that I'm turning to vinegar........

:lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeNana
    Except I think that I'm turning to vinegar........

:lol:
    Seriously Anna, I hope someone can answer and help who has had some ebay experience as to false advertising on ebay?

I think the rule is still 100 years old for an antique and 30 to 50 years old for collectibles and 50 to 100 years old for vintage.

I've noticed a whole lot of ebay sellers don't really have a clue what they're talking about.

Blog Entries
    I feel so very old when I go to antique shops with DH and DD and see toys that DH and I played with. I feel even older when younger DD doesn't know what a dial phone is. LOL!

Blog Entries
    I remember the 1st time I was at an antique store and items from my childhood/that era were there. My 1st thought was this stuff isn't old ....

Blog Entries
    I am a very experienced 39 year old, even though I was first seen as a very young baby about 77 years ago.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Love this thread! I can sooooo relate!
    Ebay can be tricky. They will call stuff from the 80's "vintage".
    I think that word definition is changing, at least in my experience.

I guess I am vintage too. My soul hasn't caught up with my body yet either. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Love this thread! I can sooooo relate!
    Ebay can be tricky. They will call stuff from the 80's "vintage".
    I think that word definition is changing, at least in my experience.
    I look for scissors every once in a while. Whoda thunk? Anyway, I see the Chinese scissors labeled antique all the time. I have four pairs I paid a buck each for about 15 years ago and you can buy them brand new at Harbor Freight for 3 bucks. Some antique. I even saw some fancy gold handle ones at the sewing expo last month. A little rust does not make an antique.

You are not alone,,,,, I refuse to be any older than 39 forever!!

Blog Entries
    Oh happy quilters... thanks for the (outloud) laugh!! Apparently, I, too, am "vintage." I've mentioned it before, so forgive me it you've already seen this... but my DH and I have decided to go to what he calls "the 10.0 point age scale." Using this scale, he just turned 5.9... I'm staring down 5.8... somehow, the number isn't as "painful?" And its so much closer to, say, 3.5 or 4.2, or even 2.8!! :-D

Banned
    I feel your pain. I was at an antique mall a few years ago and found Beatles memorabalia. Right there with butterchurns and old wagon wheels. I felt like an antique myself.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I feel so very old when I go to antique shops with DH and DD and see toys that DH and I played with. I feel even older when younger DD doesn't know what a dial phone is. LOL!
    I know what you mean about the dial phone. A friend of mine and I were walking in Gaitlinburg with her 10 yr old and we came upon a pay phone. Gabby say's "So that is what a pay phone looks like." LOL Oh my how that made me feel old.

Blog Entries
    yeah, but some of that wine turns to vinegar. lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I think the rule is still 100 years old for an antique and 30 to 50 years old for collectibles and 50 to 100 years old for vintage.

I've noticed a whole lot of ebay sellers don't really have a clue what they're talking about.
    Re: ebay sellers calling something antique or vintage.
    Another mistake they often make is calling old Singers, etc, "industrial" machines. Most are simply the old all metal ones designed for home use many years ago. They are not the same thing as truly industrial sewing machines; they just are workhorses from the day when (my Mom anyway) it was customary to sew one's own clothing, coats, upholstery, draperies, quilts, costumes for kids, wedding gowns, mend jeans, & so on.
    These old machines still beat most of the newer models for durability, but technically are not industrial machines that were made for mass production of clothing, etc for retail markets.

Blog Entries
    This thread is so funny...and so very true. I too am seeing lots of things labeled as antique that are from my youth and vintage/collectible things are from the 80's or so. Fine wine aging - yeah, that's the ticket! I am trying to stay stored properly so I don't turn to vinegar.

*had to edit cause my fine mind went a little off*

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Another use for scraps!!! :)

I still have a hand mixer I got for a wedding present in 1966 - April 2 to be exact. Still works....

marje

Blog Entries
    I found an old lunch box like I had in third grade,DGD says " Grandma, how did that fit in your backpack?". She was incredulous wheN I told her we didn' have backpacks back then, we had book bags. Oh well!

I am not 51 I am 25 with 26 years of experience! :-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast