Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I may be traumatized

Quote Originally Posted by Anna.425
    I jumped on ebay to look for quilt panels and jumped into the handmade quilts page. There was a "vintage" section that I spent sometime looking at. I came across one quilt that I know was not handmade as my mother purchased one for me when I was 8. As I continued to look through the various quilts I realized that many of them were from my childhood and they are labeled vintage. Now that official definition of an antique is 50 years or older. I am 51 and the realization came to me OMG I'm vintage! LOL I have the soul of a 30 year old.
    I had the same epiphany when I started seeing items in antique shops that I'd received as wedding presents.

[quote=GrannieAnnie]
    I jumped on ebay to
    i don't need to hear the 50 year thing-----------sticking quilt scraps in my ears!
    I'm almost 53, and now I've found a use for what my hubby came home with last weekend. He had to go to Houston for work, and the hotel gave him a little organza drawstring bag with 'linen lavendar spary' (whatever that's for?), an eye mask, and a set of ear plugs, they said it was because the hotel is next to a highway.
    The earplugs are mine!

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    I jumped on ebay to look for quilt panels and jumped into the handmade quilts page. There was a "vintage" section that I spent sometime looking at. I came across one quilt that I know was not handmade as my mother purchased one for me when I was 8. As I continued to look through the various quilts I realized that many of them were from my childhood and they are labeled vintage. Now that official definition of an antique is 50 years or older. I am 51 and the realization came to me OMG I'm vintage! LOL I have the soul of a 30 year old.
    Don't feel sad youngster - my YOUNGEST GRANDCHILD is 40 this yr., & I know how many YEARS that makes me, but I SURE DON'T feel 77 - even thou I've REALLY slowed down!

I have an "antique" quilt my grandma & grt grandma made the yr. I was born -

(And yes I am a GREAT-GREAT granny - got 3 GG grndkids's, 9 G grandkids's & 4 grands - I'M BLESSED

Have a blessed day filled w/hugs - they always help.

I have the heart and soul of a 25 year old, but sometimes my body is telling me "Don't do that you are not as young as you used to be".

You really have to be careful with ebay. Especially with antiques. My husband collects railroad memorabilia and he says there are a lot of fakes out there. You have to buy from a trusted seller with a very good return policy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I have the heart and soul of a 25 year old, but sometimes my body is telling me "Don't do that you are not as young as you used to be".

You really have to be careful with ebay. Especially with antiques. My husband collects railroad memorabilia and he says there are a lot of fakes out there. You have to buy from a trusted seller with a very good return policy.
    I agree 100% Marie - unfortunately can't always believe what you read.

Also agree on what your body tells you - My "uncle Arthur-itis" visits my hands WAY too often & interferes too much w/the important things in my life - LIKE QUILTING!!!!

Have a blessed day = hugs

Quote Originally Posted by BeeNana
    Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Just like fine wine, we are better aged. :lol:
    Except I think that I'm turning to vinegar........

:lol:
    Let us hope it is Balsamic Vinegar at the last aging. Sweetness and knowlegde; the best.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeNana
    Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Just like fine wine, we are better aged. :lol:
    Except I think that I'm turning to vinegar........

:lol:
    Let us hope it is Balsamic Vinegar at the last aging. Sweetness and knowlegde; the best.
    VERY GOOD :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOW! I know a lot us on here can relate to that. Have a nephew who was 50 this month and that brought back a lot of memories. Remember getting your AARP stuff before your 50th birthday? He's excited to be getting his discounts, but as we aunts and uncles all said, just wait. There's more to it than that. Back to the subject, I'll have to look on ebay at the vintage quilts. Haven't checked it out in ages.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943
    WOW! I know a lot us on here can relate to that. Have a nephew who was 50 this month and that brought back a lot of memories. Remember getting your AARP stuff before your 50th birthday? He's excited to be getting his discounts, but as we aunts and uncles all said, just wait. There's more to it than that. Back to the subject, I'll have to look on ebay at the vintage quilts. Haven't checked it out in ages.
    LOL :wink: ;) ;-) :-(

Super Member ChildoftheUniverse's Avatar
    I hate when that happens! Walking through an "antique" store the other day with my grandson was a real eye opener... how could that stuff from MY childhood be called, or even be in an antique store for that matter, antique??? I'll think about that at my kickboxing class tonight! =)

I have to put my two cents in. I know I am old when I talk about my first phone # having letters to start it. Also, I have celebrated the 21st anniversary of my 29th birthday and that is the way I say it to everyone. Gets students thinking to figure out my age.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildoftheUniverse
    I hate when that happens! Walking through an "antique" store the other day with my grandson was a real eye opener... how could that stuff from MY childhood be called, or even be in an antique store for that matter, antique??? I'll think about that at my kickboxing class tonight! =)
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Welcome to the club. When I worked at the emergency room of our local hospital, I picked up a patient's chart and noted the date of birth. They were born the year I graduated from high school. Imagine my chagrine when they turned out to be adults! The nerve.

I know what you mean. When I turned 55 I saw that I could order from the Senior section on the menu at Bob Evans. Almost cried! :shock: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I feel so very old when I go to antique shops with DH and DD and see toys that DH and I played with. I feel even older when younger DD doesn't know what a dial phone is. LOL!
    I know what you mean about the dial phone. A friend of mine and I were walking in Gaitlinburg with her 10 yr old and we came upon a pay phone. Gabby say's "So that is what a pay phone looks like." LOL Oh my how that made me feel old.
    I went with my daughter's class to a museum where there was a dial phone. One of the kids asked, "How are you supposed to call someone when there are no buttons?" I had to show them how to use the rotary dial. Now that made me feel old and I'm only 45 now and my daughter's 18 now.

I just found out that I graduated from high school "mid-century" so I know just how you feel!

I am getting a laugh out of all the responses. Funny because I don't realize how "long ago" it was either when I was "younger". I have 2 teen aged girls sho remind me that mom, that was longer ago than you think.

Here is a funny story. On my last birthday I spent the entire day thinking about what a boring age 47 is. I was going on and on about it being so close to 50 and so far away from 40. As I continued this rant while having dinner with my parents, my dad looked at my mom and said: "Isn't she 46" and then to me : "I think you're 46". I stopped for a minute to think, and yes, he was right! I had been living my entire year of 45 thinking I was 46. Yahoo, it was a happy birthday to me.

However, It just proves that age is all in the mind. (okay sometimes my body feels it , but what the heck)

Hey, I feel your pain -- to the max! I turned 72 this year, and I'm feeling great (a little achy some times, but hey!), still teaching quilting which I love to do, still quilting daily and am getting to enjoy watching my beautiful grandchildren grow up! God is good!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagoshar
    I just found out that I graduated from high school "mid-century" so I know just how you feel!
    OH YEAH - 1952 H.S. grad - when I went to my 50 Yr. reunion I thought "WOW I'M OLD".....& NOW IT'S 59 YRS. LATER - now this IS OLD!!!!!!!!! :cry:

I'm glad I'm 61. When I was 50 I didn't have time or know-how to quilt! Just buried Dad at 96, Mom is 94. Grandparents were close to 100 when they passed. I hope I have as much time and energy so I can KEEP QUILTING!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Great-great granny
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagoshar
    OH YEAH - 1952 H.S. grad - when I went to my 50 Yr. reunion I thought "WOW I'M OLD".....& NOW IT'S 59 YRS. LATER - now this IS OLD!!!!!!!!! :cry:
    OBVIOUSLY THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT - IT WAS 18 YRS AGO, I'M 77 NOT THAT OLD!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I heard Richard Dreyfuss once say that he was now closer to death than he was high school! :) I know how he feels

Antique is 50 years old for FABRICS, including quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I think the rule is still 100 years old for an antique and 30 to 50 years old for collectibles and 50 to 100 years old for vintage.

I've noticed a whole lot of ebay sellers don't really have a clue what they're talking about.

LaLaLa fingers in my ears-LaLaLa don't want to hear 50 is vintage 'cause I'm 50 +++++

Join the crowd Anna. I am vintage too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast