Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM

Perfect...yes I'd like to have perfect quilts but as newbie I keep finding those mistakes that no else who receives the quilts ever sees! I'm thinking of making an imperfect block on each of quilts and calling it "my signature" so people will see that and miss any other little mistakes.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Jill, I agree with you 100%! I don't plan on putting my quilts in a show, and with arthritis, sometimes it is hard to make things perfect. My family tells me that they don't inspect closely what I do - they love what I do fo them.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Becky13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?
I'm with you. When I started reading about "scant 1/4" seams, meaning one or two threads less than my 1/4 foot, I laughed. My points sometimes don't meet, the squares are sometimes two or three or 10 threads off and somehow the quilts still come together and when they are quilted, they look good enough to get oohs and ahhs from my family and the people who get them as gifts. More important, the quilts will keep you warm when the temperature is 18 degrees, which it is right now.

Quilting, for most of us, is for fun and perfection is only a miniscule part of the equation--if it is any part.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 AM

Oops. Looks like I made some mistakes on the message I just sent. Just fill in the missing words...as I said no one seems to see my mistakes especially those who do not quilt or sew. I'm really thinking of that signature block to distract them anyway.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM

I strive for doing and being my best, but keeping in mind that noone's perfect.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
I quilt for fun. I gave up perfection years ago. I like my quilts to look nice, and I do rip out my share of seams, but my quilts will never be in a show, will never be in a museum, but they will be in my house and the houses of family and friends, and I will be proud of them when I'm done. I keep telling myself that perfection is impossible so why should I drive myself crazy trying to achieve something I can never do.
Thank you Jill! I totally agree with you. Was able to give up perfection by last year, though. It felt so good!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 AM

I've been riding that horse for years - but I do rip seams. I hope someday I can make just one quilt that I do NOT RIP OUT ONE SEAM ON - what an accompolishment that will be for me and I will consider that PERFECTION - think I am PERFECT at ripping seams......LOL
Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 AM

I am now comfortable with the "galloping horse" theory. I think I heard that no quilt should be without a flaw so I live & quilt by that. LOL
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 AM

I have never seen a perfect quilt and probably never will. I do the best I can and enjoy the results. It is funny that most people can not see the mistakes we make maybe it is because they are covered with stitches of love.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 AM

I use to be one of those perfectionists until I found Bonnie K Hunter and her philosophy...." I live in the land of "That'll Do". It works for me everytime. I just look at the finished product and think "That'll do" and sure enough, it does................