Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM

I agree. I think all the quilting magazines although I enjoy looking at them makes me want to aquire the same perfect quilt in the book. You just do the best that you can and you can only get better with practice. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 PM

I have done two perfect things in my life and they are Ariel and Zoey. Mine you I had lots of help LOL!!!! I quilt for me not my friends, not a quilt judge,no one. I have won many ribbons and have been publish twice. So you see just sit back and enjoy the ride...life is way to short to worry about a 1/4 seam allowance...
hugs
Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
Originally Posted by Becky13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?

You must realize that it's all about teaching you the correct way. How you decide to do it, is up to you. You only have to please yourself.

If I were to teach you do a seam without care, you would be unhappy as I didn't teach you correctly, once you know the in's and out's, then you do what pleases you.

We try to come as close as perfect as we can possible manage, if there is such a thing and that is our perfection, the way we want it.
Your message is right on track. I couldn't have said it any better: it's important to teach the correct/most practical way to do the craft, and the rest is up to that person's sense of personal accomplishment. Surely we don't want the stress to override the pure enjoyment of our hobby. Don't let the suggestions, different techniques, and all the gadgets overwhelm you. Tune in to learning the craft, and enjoy!
Blessings,
A.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Carol B
I recently finished my first star quilt. I had all sorts of trouble with things not coming together. This web site gave me some invaluable advice which I wish I had before I started. Having said that, now that the top is pieced, it is so far off perfect its not funny at all, however I had a good old laugh at myself and thought the next one will be better . I love this quilt, warts and all, and it will be on my bed as soon as I have taken it to get long arm quilted. I like things to be as near to perfect as they can be but quilting has been a great way for me to learn that it actually doesn't really matter, most of the time its only me who sees the mistakes. I love quilting and if I could I would quit my job and do it full time. I know the more I do the better I'll get and can't wait to start my next project!!!! :P
This is a great attitude, Carol. 'Atta Girl!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks very much. With all the help this web site gives freely to those of us that are virgin quilters it's not too hard to be positive! I have only been quilting for around 9 months and I can't tell you how much ipractical and invaluable nformation that I have picked up here. :D
Old 02-03-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks very much. With all the help this web site gives freely to those of us that are virgin quilters it's not too hard to be positive! I have only been quilting for around 9 months and I can't tell you how much practical and invaluable nformation that I have picked up here. :D
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM

I gave up striving for perfection a few years ago. I began to notice more and more mismatched seams, corners and miters on quilts FEATUERD on the covers of quilt magazines. If they can live with and get paid for displaying their mistakes I guess that mine don't matter that much, although I do try to be 'prfect' as I can be. Lot less pressure.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Don't know who you are hanging out with to get this kind of feedback for perfection....I'm pretty sure it isn't here, LOL, we are happy to get our quilts DONE and any mistakes that can't be seen by a moving train from 1/2mile away don't need to be perfected.

All of us like to get tips on how to do new things, do things better ... that is just natural. I guess there are people who want things perfect, but to each his own.

Loosen up and enjoy quilting. Just saying ... have fun.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM

i was like that for a long time, but my dgd & dgs didn't care if it was perfect...

my motto is "better finished than perfect"
Old 02-03-2011, 03:57 PM

I like my work to look nice, BUT--gave up the quilt police a long time ago. I will take something out if I sew something wrong, but if a piece is a few threads off--hey no one but me will even know its there when the whole quilt is done. Just quilt for the joy of it.