Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advice as I make a quilt with 90 year old sun bonnet sue dolls >

I need advice as I make a quilt with 90 year old sun bonnet sue dolls

I need advice as I make a quilt with 90 year old sun bonnet sue dolls

Old 09-01-2016, 08:18 PM

Hi, Mind if I add my 2 cents worth? The white TOT competes with the Sues and it should be just a plain solid white or off white. I agree that snow is a good choice. Let the whites in the dresses be your guide. My other thought is that the soft pink print will work in small amounts but again, be careful it doesn't grab your eye when you look at the quilt. The fuschia pink is way too strong. I love the Irish Chain type setting which settles it down and I personally would find other color prints like your pink (granny prints or 30's prints) to use for the squares of the chain. Nothing dark or red, etc. like is showing in the jelly roll. Stick with pastels or just slightly darker prints that match the dresses or aprons Sue is wearing. Go on Ebay and type in Vintage or Antique Sunbonnet Sue Quilt and you can probably get some ideas of the feel you are going for. Your best guide is to follow your grandmother's lead with fabrics very similar to the ones she used. I agree, make it and put it away until your DGD is older. I hope you will keep us posted with your progress.

Last edited by Just Jan; 09-01-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:57 AM

I have almost completed sewing the SBS to the white fabric. Now I can start the Irish Chain blocks.

Question: my dolls measure 10 inches from the top of the bonnet to the bottom of her feet. Exactly. Should I plan on my Irish Chain blocks to be 10 inches? I sewed the girls on 12 inch blocks to allow room for the decision. I would really like it to be 10 inch blocks if possible.

I appreciate your input.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:24 AM

I did a modified Irish Chain (9-patch surrounded by cornerstone setting) & that block measured 10", as did my applique block. However, you might want to make them a bit larger in your case to give a bit of white space around the edge of the applique & to allow your seams to lay flat. You could maybe have each square finish at 2.25" (unfinished 2.75") and cut the applique block at 11.75" (finishing at 11.25").
Old 09-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Also, how do I measure how many jelly rolls I need for the Irish Chain? If I do 10 inch blocks and use all 20 of the SBS, the inside of the quilt will be 5 vertical and 8 horizontal blocks, measuring 50 by 80.

I've already bought one jelly roll of the snow. I also bought a jelly roll of the grunge solids, but I may change my mind base on the advise on the board. If I buy a simple vintage print jelly roll, how many should I buy?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:53 AM

If you're doing jelly rolls, you're going to just have to cut the applique blocks at 10" (10.5" unfinished) because that's what the jelly rolls will finish at. That would be 20 Irish chain block sets. 1 set of the grunge and 1 set of Snow is more than enough for the Irish Chain blocks.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:27 PM

Based on Jan's and other's recommendations, I ordered a Jelly Roll of pastel vintage fabrics off Ebay. Jan, I had already done too many with the white TOT (what does TOT mean?) to change.

I am going to make one 10" sample Irish Chain block to see what it would look like with the SBS finished at 10".

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

TOT = tone on tone --- in this case, white on white prints.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:22 PM

I don't know if you have made your final decision on batting or not, but if you are still leaning toward the Warm and Natural, be advised that you can get Warm and White by the same company.

Personally I would agree with some of the other batting suggestions you have received. I just mention the Warm and White as an alternative to the color of the Warm and Natural.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:10 PM

Thanks, Daylesewblessed

I haven't bought the batting yet, but I will make sure to get white. I plan to visit some ladies that quilt on Thursdays, so I hope to get some good first hand advice. I will take my SBS and the Irish Chain quilt block I will do tomorrow. I am really worried that a 10 inch block is going to be too small. I really did want to go the Jelly Roll route to speed up my process. My MIL will be 100 in December and I knew I could finish by December, but she has taken a down-turn in health, so now I am really hurrying. Her mind is sharp, but her body is finally breaking down. I so wanted to finish at least the quilt top before she went home with the Lord.

Next question. I'm showing the picture again, so you will understand. I trimmed around the dolls more and was able to turn under the edge of the fabric and stitch over the existing stitches all the way around. I only did the outside edges. Should I also include the arm to further secure the doll? How about any of the inside brim of the bonnet? I'm holding my breath hoping you say I don't need to.

Thanks for your advice!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558583[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails doll-4.jpeg  
Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559020[/ATTACH]
Here is my quilt so far. I have sewn the rows and now I need to do the horizontal sashing and the corner blocks. I've never done corner blocks before. I'm leaning on simple white squares, but very tempted to try my hand at 4 corner blocks with white and print varieties. What do you think?

BTW, thanks for the advise to go with vintage fabrics. I love it. The picture doesn't do it justice.
Attached Thumbnails ediths-quilt.jpeg